Reload this Page >

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
We have Habit Burger in Seattlenarea too
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
But that would mean having to decide between In-n-Out and Portillo's when I am in town!
Easy choice for me to make. In-N-Out would win

Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
They are tasty burger, but their newer radio ad states that the burgers have been made the same way since 1958. They may be constructed the same way with the same ingredients, but I know that the amount of meat has decreased a lot since I started eating them back in the 70's. If you get a single burger you will have to hunt for the meat. Try the Habit burger, better burger and better fries if you are in Southern CA.
Habit is OK, but not as good or cheap as In-N-Out. Nation's Giant in Bay Area is better though
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
They are tasty burger, but their newer radio ad states that the burgers have been made the same way since 1958. They may be constructed the same way with the same ingredients, but I know that the amount of meat has decreased a lot since I started eating them back in the 70's. If you get a single burger you will have to hunt for the meat. Try the Habit burger, better burger and better fries if you are in Southern CA.
I've tried Habit several times and I'm amazed that they manage to make burgers that seem pretty tasteless. Once it was even difficult to taste anything coming from the slice of pineapple in my burger. (Ironically, their salads are surprisingly good.)

Also, it might be the location you're going to. My normal In-N-Out order is #2 animal style and the burger always seems to have the right amount of meat on it to me.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Putnik
Easy choice for me to make. In-N-Out would win
Portillos all the way

INO much easier to get to for me ^
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In-N-Out recently added hot cocoa to their menu:

It costs $1.60+tax and is actually pretty decent as they use Ghiradelli chocolate. I didn't like that the marshmallows were dehydrated but I imagine they had to cut costs somewhere (and this is a relatively minor complaint all things considered). They also don't use milk, but as I don't really like drinking milk I don't consider it an issue either.

Bonus: the hot cocoa is free for kids when it's raining out.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tmiw
Bonus: the hot cocoa is free for kids when it's raining out.
Okay, but other than today, I can't remember the last time it actually rained in SoCal. 😞
jackal likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Okay, but other than today, I can't remember the last time it actually rained in SoCal. 😞
Given how stingy In-N-Out is on menu expansion, I'm amazed that they'd add Hot Cocoa, given that their core markets are in warm climates.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Given how stingy In-N-Out is on menu expansion, I'm amazed that they'd add Hot Cocoa, given that their core markets are in warm climates.
Colorado is not so warm, however, so it kinda makes sense from that perspective.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Los Angeles Times California columnist Gustavo Arellano:

In-N-Out is So So-So

The beloved but overrated fast-food chain represents Southern California at its absolute worst

The best part of an In-N-Out hamburger is the lettuce — it’s crunchy and moist. And when that’s the best you can say about a burger, you’re not saying much. Every other component is unremarkable. The beef patty might never get refrigerated, but it isn’t revelatory; the bread that holds it together easily disintegrates under even the gentlest of grips: the onions are, well, onions; and the tomatoes are a reminder that people don’t know what good tomatoes taste like. And the American cheese tastes like it just got flash-grilled onto plastic.

All this leads to the question I ask whenever friends invite me to In-N-Out: Why?

In-N-Out is a symbol of Southern California at its absolute worst: Eternal traffic. Nostalgia for a past that never really existed. A mob mentality. Fast food. And, worst of all, all hype and little substance.

Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by TWA884

In-N-Out is So So-So
We will continue to agree to disagree.
braslvr likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond

In-N-Out is So So-So
He waited 27 minutes at the drive thru. He could have had his food in 5-10 minutes if he walked inside.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Putnik
He waited 27 minutes at the drive thru. He could have had his food in 5-10 minutes if he walked inside.
Hey, but that's not the Californian way!

Seriously, I've seen people prefer to spend half an hour in the drive-thru line at Starbucks rather than park and go inside, which would take ten minutes at most. Walking is hard? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

In-N-Out is So So-So
I hadn't eaten there in a while and then got a burger from there about a month ago. Maybe something has changed, or maybe my taste buds have matured as I've gotten older, but I'd now call it an average burger. Seems like quite a few of the chains are doing a better burger these days.

It's not like I wouldn't go back for a fast food burger, but if there's a Five Guys or similar next door, that's probably where I'm going.
jackal likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:08 pm

In-N-Out is So So-So
Cast ye not pearls before swine, nor Double-Doubles before Arellano....

Two weeks from tomorrow, we will land at PSP, and the first thing we will do after getting our rent-a-car will be to head down Ramon Road to the InOB on Varner Road on the other side of the 10..

The next day, two friends will arrive to join us. They said the first thing they want to do when they get it is to head down Ramon Road to the InOB on Varner Road.

It's a matter of taste. And Arellano has none.

The only real problem with InOB is they are so popular you have traffic jams, parking issues, and long waits at the drive-thru. And yet the Carl's Jr (or whatever other chain) next door is empty, so if you're in a hurry, there's that.
cblaisd and exerda like this.

Last edited by HomerJay; Dec 12, 2018 at 3:26 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'll be honest. After 6 years living in San Diego I was over In-N-Out, but I'm going back for two days next week and can not wait for their fries and a shake!!!!!!
exerda likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.