Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is this lettuce spoilt? (Or, adventures of eating at a 4 star hotel dining)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

My family and I find ourselves in the restaurant of a 4 star hotel (in Expedia rating) in Montreal's Old City tonight.

I did not have a favorable view of the experience, but before I fly off the handle with a negative review on various travel sites, I would like to check to see if I am justified.

Question of the day: is this lettuce spoilt?

I ordered a cheese burger with fries, and the burger have a piece of lettuce on it.

The lettuce has a couple brown spots and one edge has what I consider to be an spoilt edge (the kind that gets oily looking)

See attachment: the brown spots are at bottom left (7 to 8 o'clock range of the picture ) and the alleged spoilt oily edge at the right edge (3 o'clock)
This picture was taken about 5 min of having received the burger at the table. it was served closed.

Is this lettuce spoiled?

I asked the waitress over, and asked what she thought about it. She told me this is normal, because the lettuce touched the heated beef burger. (this is a cheese burger, so the beef has cheese on top of it. so perhaps she meant heated cheese?)

I find it dubious for the brown spots, and outright unbelievable for the right edge. But I am no burger chef, I can't actually opine on transferred heat damage on lettuce. But I feel she is trying to bluff herself out of a bind. Had this been a cold dish, I feel 100% confident it's spoilt at the edge and going off in the spots.

What do you think? Did the waitress try to bluff me? Or I just need to cook more burgers?

She did offer a replacement for the lettuce leaf, but I frankly don't trust them enough. So I declined.

Your crowd sourced views will help me craft the review. I am debating between calling it mediocre vs accusing them of maliciously bad service.

I am withholding the name of the establishment at the moment, in case I over state the degree of the perceived offense.

Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't eat that, because I'm very particular about produce quality.
And I don't know if that wilted edge is a result of heat contact.
But since you could have had a fresh leaf, brought on a seperate plate, you could have easily tested her contention when you mounted the lettuce yourself.
Because the staff offered a replacement without you having to ask, I'd give the restaurant a pass if you review. I personally wouldn't even mention it. Was the burger any good? That's important.
Mistakes happen, it's recovery that counts.
Eastbay1K and corky like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:38 pm

Can’t imagine a hot burger or cheese would do that if the lettuce started out pristine. A good reminder of what I promised myself before but haven’t been practicing: order cold burger toppings on the side.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by 3dot14
I find it dubious for the brown spots, and outright unbelievable for the right edge. But I am no burger chef, I can't actually opine on transferred heat damage on lettuce. But I feel she is trying to bluff herself out of a bind. Had this been a cold dish, I feel 100% confident it's spoilt at the edge and going off in the spots.

What do you think? Did the waitress try to bluff me? Or I just need to cook more burgers?.
That lettuce is spoiled, as in bacterial action is breaking down the tissue. Would it kill you to eat it? Probably not, but I personally do not wish to act as lab rat for the restaurant's life sciences experiments. The waitress was either clueless or lying, not having met her, I can't offer an opinion on that matter.

I've had lettuce on many a sizzling hot burger: it wilts, it doesn't decay in under 10 minutes.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
I wouldn't eat that, because I'm very particular about produce quality.
And I don't know if that wilted edge is a result of heat contact.
But since you could have had a fresh leaf, brought on a seperate plate, you could have easily tested her contention when you mounted the lettuce yourself.
Because the staff offered a replacement without you having to ask, I'd give the restaurant a pass if you review. I personally wouldn't even mention it. Was the burger any good? That's important.
Mistakes happen, it's recovery that counts.
I agree with rick’s comment.

IMO, you need definitive proof before accusations of lying or malicious bad service. An unattractive piece of lettuce. Staff offered a solution. You declined it. First world problem. Move on.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The upper right discolored slimy part looks past its prime and spoiled to me, but I'd be more concerned about the white frothy spots in the center, just on the edge of the curved part. To me, that looks like it could be some sort of mold.
Swanky Safari likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'd place my bet on that lettuce suffering some freezing damage. This will cause the discoloration and slimy result when thawing. I'd also probably just remove the lettuce, not eat it, and not waste part of my life ranting on "various travel sites." (I say that while I waste part of my life responding on FT ) I'd then make comment to my server.

Bill Maher did a good piece on everyone reviewing everything just over a week ago. A good thing for those compelled to review everything, including a piece of lettuce, to view.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The upper right discolored slimy part looks past its prime and spoiled to me, but I'd be more concerned about the white frothy spots in the center, just on the edge of the curved part. To me, that looks like it could be some sort of mold.
Looks like mayonnaise or whatever dressing that hit the bun/burger.
gfunkdave and nancypants like this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 2, 2019 at 2:10 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
IMO, you need definitive proof before accusations of lying or malicious bad service. An unattractive piece of lettuce. Staff offered a solution. You declined it. First world problem. Move on.
The part that gets to me is that staff attempted (IMHO) to gaslight me and suggested it was not a problem -- i.e. no it is not spoilt, but if you want, I can get you a new one. Whereas I am almost certain it is a problem. And I felt that sort of behaviour (attempting to bluff out of mistakes) should be discouraged.

However, I do take your (and the post below)'s point -- even if I feel for certain it's a problem, it's still a first world problem.
So I will not be going back to that establishment, and won't recommend it... but no point wasting more time.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think that's mayo or depending on the cheese used, melted cheese.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the lettuce was partially frozen. I wouldn't probably eat it in a salad but on a burger I probably wouldn't notice.

So the staff was right: it's not spoiled and we can bring you a new one if you like. At a super fancy restaurant I'd expect they wouldn't give you freezer-burned lettuce in the first place. But if it bothered you why not just remove it and enjoy your lunch?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Looks like the lettuce was partially frozen. I wouldn't probably eat it in a salad but on a burger I probably wouldn't notice.

So the staff was right: it's not spoiled and we can bring you a new one if you like. At a super fancy restaurant I'd expect they wouldn't give you freezer-burned lettuce in the first place. But if it bothered you why not just remove it and enjoy your lunch?
Send this pic of the lettuce to Corporate.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 25, 2019 at 4:19 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've probably eaten worse things. My restaurant complaints are more centered on doneness of meats and promptness of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.