Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Various
That's what I try to do once I'm in the US. Not necessarily fast food but these chains that I haven't found in Europe like Applebee's, Cheesecake Factory or similar.

Chipotle is my favourite in the fast food category though.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:59 am

3 fast foods restaurant which are easy for me to control the calorie intake: Chipotle, Subway and Panda Express. I didn't say the food was good just that it prevents overeating on my part.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
That's what I try to do once I'm in the US. Not necessarily fast food but these chains that I haven't found in Europe like Applebee's, Cheesecake Factory or similar.

Chipotle is my favourite in the fast food category though.
Chipotle (along with El Pollo Loco and Baja Fresh) is fast casual.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
Found the marketing guy.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:48 am

Chipotle follows the same concept as Subway and many other "fast food" restaurants which is cafeteria a la carte. I still order from Chipotle because of the ease for customization within the app which few chains have mastered.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
Chipotle follows the same concept as Subway and many other "fast food" restaurants which is cafeteria a la carte. I still order from Chipotle because of the ease for customization within the app which few chains have mastered.
I must admit that I felt a bit guilty adorning Chipotle with the "fast casual" buzzword in the absence of anything concrete to differentiate it from Subway. It's almost like the marketers have drawn an arbitrary line in the sand for us. That having been said, Chipotle and Taco Bell (which, I also eat on occasion) are clearly different. And, until better descriptors are available, I can't improve on "fast casual" myself.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:43 pm

I must admit that I felt a bit guilty adorning Chipotle with the "fast casual" buzzword in the absence of anything concrete to differentiate it from Subway. It's almost like the marketers have drawn an arbitrary line in the sand for us. That having been said, Chipotle and Taco Bell (which, I also eat on occasion) are clearly different. And, until better descriptors are available, I can't improve on "fast casual" myself.

Agreed. There is a definite difference within the fast food category that fast casual doesn't capture. Having seen the precooked bag of Taco Bell meat, my first though was dog food. Then I worked at a dog food plant, I now know better.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. There is a definite difference within the fast food category that fast casual doesn't capture. Having seen the precooked bag of Taco Bell meat, my first though was dog food. Then I worked at a dog food plant, I now know better.
It's always been instructive to me that a can of Alpo costs more than the "dollar deals" at fast food joints.
Amelorn and TGarza like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I still think of it all as fast food, but I do appreciate the brands that try to do a fresher less-processed take on the concept, or generally adhere to a more pleasant, cleaner, modern ambiance.

It's hard to put a finger on it. I think of Potbelly's as a cut above Subway. It's literally the exact same ingredients, but Potbelly's presents it better and in most cases takes better care of the restaurants. Same with McAlister's.

I think of Noodles & Company as a cut above most of the rest of the fast food universe. I think that was the chain with which I first saw the "fast casual" term. Definitely a higher quality experience than, say, a Taco Bell.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:39 pm
Suspended

It’s not only internationally, last week we were down South and had some Royal Farms fried chicken which was awesome and we watched them make it.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
My own opinion - I would not drink at Starbucks outside of US due to the facts that a) usually better and much more unique quality coffee options are available locally and b) for the same drinks it is more expensive, enen in USD.
Probably true, but the last time I was in Paris my wife redeemed some Starbucks points for free large espressos for both of us. We ended up with like 16 oz of espresso apiece. It was deliriously good (and I do mean delirious, after 16 oz of espresso).

Actually, in Paris we found Starbucks was about on par, price-wise, with the corner cafe. But there were so many of the corner cafes that there was really no need to look for the long-haired lady.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:58 am

As a side benefit, consuming 16 ounces of espresso can help you save on airfare, as you can basically just fly all the way home by yourself after that.
kimberlyrose and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by pinniped
I still think of it all as fast food, but I do appreciate the brands that try to do a fresher less-processed take on the concept, or generally adhere to a more pleasant, cleaner, modern ambiance.

It's hard to put a finger on it. I think of Potbelly's as a cut above Subway. It's literally the exact same ingredients, but Potbelly's presents it better and in most cases takes better care of the restaurants. Same with McAlister's.

I think of Noodles & Company as a cut above most of the rest of the fast food universe. I think that was the chain with which I first saw the "fast casual" term. Definitely a higher quality experience than, say, a Taco Bell.
The term “fast casual” never really made sense to me since fast food is already casual (really, it doesn’t get much more casual than McDonald’s or Taco Bell). I’d call Chipotle and the like “premium fast food”. I’m not sure where/when the term originated, but I never heard it when I worked at a McAllister’s in 2005.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
While I eat fast food when traveling for the same reasons I eat it at home (fast, convenient, inexpensive) where I go for fast food varies with the locale. I try to pick local flavor instead of the big name brands I can get back home-- though even back home I don't eat at the big name brands that often. On many trips overseas I do try an American chain restaurant like McDonald's once to see how it's different from in the US.
My wife and I will usually try a local McDonald's in other countries to see what's different, too. In some cases there are loads of very different menu items while in some locales it's more similar to US McDonald's. A couple of years ago we found a limited-edition orange cream milkshake at McDonald's in Takayama, Japan...it was literally like a milkshake version of those orange dreamsicles that we used to get from the ice cream truck when I was a kid! I think I had 3 of them that week!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I think this is often the root cause of this phenomenon.
Yes, I had this confirmed by a Vietnamese friend, when I asked why so many people would want to eat there (we were walking through the 'new' part of HCMC). "Amongst our younger generation, it infers that you are cool and have made it, a sort of status symbol" was her answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.