Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:32 pm

Within the US I'll weigh the options just like at home. When traveling internationally I try to avoid it as much as possible but sometimes it's the best or only option. When in Europe last spring I always tried to eat breakfast and dinner at local places but for a quick lunch or drink when doing the tourist thing fast food was somtimes the best option. Have to admit the McDonald's right across from my hotel in Lisbon was handy a couple nights when I was out way past midnight and wanted a quick bite before turning in.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
When in the USA I do sometimes go for a Pret. Convenient and not overloaded with fat.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
While I eat fast food when traveling for the same reasons I eat it at home (fast, convenient, inexpensive) where I go for fast food varies with the locale. I try to pick local flavor instead of the big name brands I can get back home-- though even back home I don't eat at the big name brands that often. On many trips overseas I do try an American chain restaurant like McDonald's once to see how it's different from in the US.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
"Asian cuisine?"

Amusing...I got into an argument regarding that broad-brush phrase many years ago on a website called Midtown Lunch. Maybe it's cached somewhere.
I loved that site. archive.org has most of it saved.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
On a vacation...rarely for work lots.
In a small town your choices are usually pretty limited.
My go to is Wendy's Chilli and their almond apple salad (1/2 size)...combo which is about $7.00
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I eat fast food on a trip generally for the same reason I do in the US - I'm starving, I'm on the go, and I don't really need a particularly fancy or time-consuming meal at the moment. Outside of the US, McDonald's is usually the only chain I'll be curious to try (or even to look at the menu if I don't eat there) because I find amusement in their localized offerings that are different than in the US. I do find eating at local fast food places an interesting experience and I also like the fact that they often have free wifi and bathrooms.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
When in the USA I do sometimes go for a Pret. Convenient and not overloaded with fat.
I stopped at a Pret in Manhattan this past week - around 8th and 48th. I was kind of disappointed. The store wasn't very clean, most of the sandwiches were sold out, and nobody seemed to be restocking them. I am pretty sure the store was going to be open for a few more hours - wasn't like I walked in while they were getting ready to close.

My first experiences with Pret were in London in about '07 or so and they were great. We had one in our office building...it was perfect for when I had like 15 minutes between meetings. And I've had them in NYC for years as well and never had a problem with them. Maybe this is a one-off bad location, but it left me wondering if the brand is sliding back towards the median for fast-food cleanliness and attentiveness to detail.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I hate fast food. The only concession I’ll make sometimes is Starbucks when I just need a venti latte.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I stopped at a Pret in Manhattan this past week - around 8th and 48th. I was kind of disappointed. The store wasn't very clean, most of the sandwiches were sold out, and nobody seemed to be restocking them. I am pretty sure the store was going to be open for a few more hours - wasn't like I walked in while they were getting ready to close.
Sounds like the Pret in Union Station in DC. Several times I've tried to buy lunch there before a train & found mostly empty shelves and completely uninterested employees. Even in the UK I thought their service was poor.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead
I hate fast food. The only concession I’ll make sometimes is Starbucks when I just need a venti latte.
I'm pretty sure that if you had to travel to some of the places on my usual circuit, you'd either fast or change your tune.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm pretty sure that if you had to travel to some of the places on my usual circuit, you'd either fast or change your tune.
Oh, I've eaten it when I've had to. I just try to avoid it if I can. I know when I've been on the road, sometimes it is the only choice. I still hate it. McD's is like a giant salt lick. I try to go for Salsa Fresh or Subway if I have to eat it
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Redhead
Oh, I've eaten it when I've had to. I just try to avoid it if I can. I know when I've been on the road, sometimes it is the only choice. I still hate it. McD's is like a giant salt lick. I try to go for Salsa Fresh or Subway if I have to eat it
Are international Subways pretty similar to American ones? Or do they try to add in local ingredients and flavors?

I occasionally see one during travel but have never tried one. I'm not a Subway regular in the U.S. but like you, will sometimes pick one if I'm in a fast-food wasteland somewhere and want something semi-nutritious.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:07 am

Are international Subways pretty similar to American ones? Or do they try to add in local ingredients and flavors?

I occasionally see one during travel but have never tried one. I'm not a Subway regular in the U.S. but like you, will sometimes pick one if I'm in a fast-food wasteland somewhere and want something semi-nutritious.
I don't eat Subway in the US enough (i.e. almost never) to compare with the China version, but there is nothing "local" at their Chinese stores, and I'm guessing that the US stores have specials that don't make it to other markets. When I go to subways in China, it's because I'm starving. I typically get either an Italian or a tuna salad sub. Really boring, I know, but I've never left feeling hungry or sick.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 15, 2019 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:22 am

I have no clue. I think I've eaten int'l fast food (meaning a global chain) outside the US about 3 times. I had Xmas dinner at the BK on Las Ramblas in BCN back in 1992 because I was dirt poor and it was the only thing open. I've had McDs at GRU twice because the food options are terrible and I was starving. I've never had Subway outside the US. - it is a food wasteland option.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:39 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'll try local "fast food" but not chains that I can find at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.