Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by pinniped
it has to be those IKEA meatballs...
You can buy the same meatballs in frozen food section at IKEA and cook at home.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
You can buy the same meatballs in frozen food section at IKEA and cook at home.
Yes, I've seen them there and offered to pick up a bag on the way out. But after that one meal, she's good for another year.

I'm 10 minutes from an IKEA right now. I could bring home a bag for lunch and my wife would just look at me like "what are you thinking...it's June!"

But on about December 22nd, give or take a day, we will have meatballs at IKEA. 100% chance.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Other than in France where my friends won’t permit it if they are paying, I drink Coke no matter what local food I’m eating.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
My own opinion - I would not drink at Starbucks outside of US due to the facts that a) usually better and much more unique quality coffee options are available locally and b) for the same drinks it is more expensive, enen in USD. Now, here in Singapore cup of brewed coffee in *$ costs $4 and local version - kopi - is $1. Why do want to pay for my drink 4x more when better tasting option is 4x cheaper?

However, I personally consider presence of Starbucks as an indicator of infrastructure/tourism market development for Western (or better to be said - American) tourists.
I met a couple from Perth when visiting Bali last year who ordered Starbucks 3 to 4 times per day during their stay. I was confused by this because I remembered reading an article on how Starbucks didn't perform well in Australia because they had a strong coffee/cafe culture and frowned upon drinking it. They told me that there were no Starbucks in Perth and they enjoyed the novelty of drinking it when on vacation wherever they went. I guess it's not always about drinking local, higher quality coffee.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I met a couple from Perth when visiting Bali last year who ordered Starbucks 3 to 4 times per day during their stay.
Bolding mine above.
IIRC couple of years ago In Asia forum there was one character, who came and loudly declared that Bali was the worst tourist destination ever because Starbucks there did not taste right and was expensive, food was weird and awful and he was not interested and did not understand of all those 'local cultural stuff'.
You can guess what type of (well deserved) responses he got.

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Other than in France where my friends won’t permit it if they are paying, I drink Coke no matter what local food I’m eating.
I am not sure if this is french stuff, but if I invite someone at a restaurant, I won't give liberty to myself to tell them what they are allowed to eat or drink. Because if someone pulls this thing to me, that would be the last time I am going to have meal with that person around the same table.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:05 am
Suspended

I am not sure if this is french stuff, but if I invite someone at a restaurant, I won't give liberty to myself to tell them what they are allowed to eat or drink. Because if someone pulls this thing to me, that would be the last time I am going to have meal with that person around the same table.
Luckily I’m not wound that tightly.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Luckily I’m not wound that tightly.
It is not 'wounding'. It is respecting adult person's personal freedom and choices.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
My definition of a truly horrible travel companion includes someone who even suggests we eat in American fast-food joints while overseas.
Then never travel with kids or a pregnant lady. McD's has often been the best, and sometimes only, option for decent restroom, and all it costs to use it is the price of soda. However in Rome we tried and enjoyed the chilled kiwifruit pops, and McD's on the Netherlands/Belgium border makes awesome fries.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It is not 'wounding'. It is respecting adult person's personal freedom and choices.
And it's just super awkward. I invite someone to dinner and then butt in while they're ordering a Coke from the waiter. That's weird. Really weird.

If I'm the invited guest, I'll sometimes look for a cue before ordering alcohol (or just for the price point of the wines being considered), but a soft drink would be a natural go-to if I wasn't sure what others were going to drink.
HMPS and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Then never travel with kids or a pregnant lady. McD's has often been the best, and sometimes only, option for decent restroom, and all it costs to use it is the price of soda. However in Rome we tried and enjoyed the chilled kiwifruit pops, and McD's on the Netherlands/Belgium border makes awesome fries.
Between the rather predictable availability of bathrooms and the convenience when in a rush or late at night, there are times when it makes sense to drop in. And if dealing with even marginally picky kids on the go, fast food from McD could be the most predictably accepted meal by kids.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:42 am

I go to McD's in the Asia to get the deep fried apple pie they replaced with an inferior baked version in US/Canada decades go.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Yes, McToilets are usually reliable. Even in the developed world they can be useful , where local business not necessarily will let non-customers use the toilet or cleanliness may be an issue.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
And it's just super awkward. I invite someone to dinner and then butt in while they're ordering a Coke from the waiter. That's weird. Really weird.

If I'm the invited guest, I'll sometimes look for a cue before ordering alcohol (or just for the price point of the wines being considered), but a soft drink would be a natural go-to if I wasn't sure what others were going to drink.
Not even a little bit awkward and done in a friendly playful way to educate the ‘uncultured’ on the fine points of French cooking and drinking.

Again, not taking one that seriously is one of the keys to a happier life. It’s not for everyone but worth a try just once.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by skitraveler
I go to McD's in the Asia to get the deep fried apple pie they replaced with an inferior baked version in US/Canada decades go.
Yes! Huge difference in quality. I just had a couple tonight. Best I ever had was the peach variety in China.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So if I eat a McDonald's Big Mac when visiting a country overseas, will the uncultured, dull, and naive hell that I will be going to include a devil that will force all of us to drink Starbucks?
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.