Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3% surcharge in restaurant, but "keep tipping as usual"

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by comptalk
I guess they didn't want to pay the CC discount fee. As for the tip jars, I largely ignore them. They are getting a salary. A tip for getting me a pizza when they are only heating it up in the oven is ridiculous. I guess most people do not see this or are afraid to speak up, so they just go along with it. Most people are lemmings and that's why they are in debt up to their eyeballs.
Oh, they wouldn't add the surcharge for cash purchases? I guess that's less egregious, but I still probably return to a place like that - accepting credit cards increases business to the extent that the fees should be an acceptable tradeoff. I don't care for places advertising that they take credit cards but then charging extra for it.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wanted to reply to this many times, and it boils down to the irritation of them trying to add a service fee instead of upping menu prices 5%. I don't know why sit-down restaurants think this is okay when every other industry (from fast food to hardware stores) just roll labor costs into their prices.
Silver Fox, JBord and strickerj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:16 pm

A lot of places in Fort Lauderdale beach throw in a 15% service charge which is the tip but not marked as such. We tip at least 20% so it worked for me. From what I was told a lot of foreigners don't tip at all so they add 15%
Old May 14, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Gig103
I wanted to reply to this many times, and it boils down to the irritation of them trying to add a service fee instead of upping menu prices 5%. I don't know why sit-down restaurants think this is okay when every other industry (from fast food to hardware stores) just roll labor costs into their prices.
When's the last time you had your car repaired?

Parts
Labor
Shop Supplies
Tire (or battery) Disposal Fee
Sales Tax
Old May 14, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
But it's not hard to approximate the final in your head especially once you know the rate in a given location where you're staying. And even easier to figure it out on your phone calculator if the exact amount matters before purchasing.
Maybe where you live, but def not everywhere. I live in metro Atlanta. The tax rate in Cobb county is different from the tax rate in Fulton county. The tax rate in unincorporated Fulton county is different from the tax rate in the City of Atlanta. Multiply this by the 10 or so counties and scores of individual cities in the metro area, those that have increased tax because they participate in MARTA or have approved a TSPLOST assessment. Then add to the equation that the tax on food is a different rate than the tax on prepared food. I'm not certain, but I think the lowest tax rate in the area is 3.5% and the highest around 9.5%. That's a pretty big spread with a lot of rates in between. I live here and I can't figure it out, calculator or not. Asking a visitor, especially one from a country where VAT is included in the price, to be able to calculate the tax on their purchase in situations like this is unrealistic at best.
1P, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol

Parts
Labor
Shop Supplies
Sales Tax
Then spell it out and be specific. If I'm paying for labor independently, then the labor to, say, grill a steak should be much less than the labor to make a salad with all that washing and chopping.

These surcharges are exploiting a gullible public. If restaurants are requiring employees to tip out when they received no tip, that's reprehensible, but in no way the diners fault or problem. I'm not actually against tipping culture in general, as it does provide the option to directly and meaningfully say thanks for good service. To me these surcharges seem skeezy because they're sort of fundamentally dishonest. If a restaurant can convince me to pay an extra 15% for the same product, then more power to them and they deserve the profit. But when they disguise this price increase as a service fee they are beguiling the spending public and depending on the good nature of the dining public to swindle them.
Silver Fox and strickerj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by strickerj
I think it’s worse than that - much like hotel resort fees, he’s advertising an artificially lower price than he’s actually charging, and explaining that it’s because of new laws and taxes is a thinly veiled attempt to push his political views on his customers. (He might be right, but I would still find that offputting as a customer.)

They’re double dipping here by adding a service charge and still expecting tips. We all collectively need to vote with our wallets and put a stop to this before it becomes widespread, like hotel resort fees or airline fuel surcharges - seriously, what other industry could get away with such shenanigans as your airline ticket not including the fuel necessary to transport you, or the hotel automatically charging you for optional services whether you use them or not?

100% agree that this is in the same category as resort fees. It all comes down to "how can we get people to pay more for something than the price we advertise". It is fundamentally dishonest.

As for the issue from this thread, I agree we need to vote with our wallet and either avoid such restaurants or adjust tip accordingly to make sure this kind of behaviour does not spread.

Last edited by Enigma368; May 14, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Maybe where you live, but def not everywhere. I live in metro Atlanta. The tax rate in Cobb county is different from the tax rate in Fulton county. The tax rate in unincorporated Fulton county is different from the tax rate in the City of Atlanta. Multiply this by the 10 or so counties and scores of individual cities in the metro area, those that have increased tax because they participate in MARTA or have approved a TSPLOST assessment. Then add to the equation that the tax on food is a different rate than the tax on prepared food. I'm not certain, but I think the lowest tax rate in the area is 3.5% and the highest around 9.5%. That's a pretty big spread with a lot of rates in between. I live here and I can't figure it out, calculator or not. Asking a visitor, especially one from a country where VAT is included in the price, to be able to calculate the tax on their purchase in situations like this is unrealistic at best.
If the tax rate where you're eating at happens to be above 7.5% or so (not difficult to do in California, for instance), doubling the tax printed on the receipt is a reasonable way of determining tip. Of course, then a visitor has to figure out if the tax rate is above that figure...
Old May 14, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
A few scattered thoughts:

Pizza Delivery:

When I delivered pizzas in the US 20 years ago, it was minimum wage plus 6% (customer was NOT charged for it, it came out of the owner's pocket) that sort of covered car expenses plus tips. Things have changed quite a bit lately. The Pizza Hut "delivery charge" given as an example in the post above does not go to the driver. What's more, many shops have gone to a "tipped" sub-minimum wage whenever the driver is on the road, and regular minimum wage when doing tasks in the store. Please DO tip your pizza driver, and not so much on a percentage basis, but try to take into account the distance between you and the store, weather conditions, etc.

Also please don't blame the restaurant owners. Costs have gone through the roof, and the public (and corporate/franchisor) expect them to sell a large "N" -topping for $9.99. It's untenable without those sorts of bill gymnastics.

From what I gather, Uber Eats and the like treat their drivers much worse, so the same applies. They also screw the restaurants royally, so I basically refuse to use those types of services. If I'm in the office late and need a bite, I'll just call in a carry-out and pick it up myself.

Europe

Don't even get me started. I am originally from Europe, albeit the poor cousin parts, so no American chauvinism here.

A few months ago in Vienna, after doing the requisite touristy sachertorte and coffee at the Cafe Mozart, the waiter made it a point to ask me if I wanted to add a tip. In fairness, I very much look and carry myself like an American, so I guess he thought why not take advantage. Still, so much for the proud, well paid professional Kelner or whatever in Europe. By the way, I suspect a waitress at Applebees makes 2 to 3 times what her European counterpart does.

A couple of years ago, old town Florence. Had to have the bistecca fiorentina, of course, and there was a place near the hotel. Menu posted outside, everything looking great. We go in, have dinner, bill comes and - lo and behold - a double-digit percentage "service charge". They did have it listed in tiny print on the otherwise identical menus inside the dimly lit restaurant. It was not on the menu in front of the restaurant. I hope Alfa Romeo bombs again in North America. Va fa Napoli!

Buffets

In the most recently closed "tipping" topic, someone had written that they would not tip as much at a buffet-type restaurant. I am not sure the waiters provide less service at those establishments. They have to constantly remove empty dishes, give refills, etc., but also they are paid as poorly as any other waiter. So please don't discount their tips.

I knew people in the Chinese buffet industry in the 1990s when they had to expand beyond larger cities into smaller markets. Many of the staff were semi-if-at-all-legal and were basically under a form of indentured servitude. Cash tips made a great difference to them.

On a related note, I reckon that prices in restaurants in the US tend to be lower is also due in part to the fact that the kitchens are full of undocumented Hispanic workers who do often do not get paid what they should.

Overall, I am okay with the tipping culture. It can provide for a better dining experience when your server's income depends on the quality of service he or she delivers. I just came back from a new Indian buffet near work for lunch today. Everything was laced with cilantro (coriander for you limeys) which I abhor. The waiter brought some fresh, just out of the oven tandoori chicken for me without the noxious weed on it. He got 20%. And this is in Alberta, Canada, where minimum wage is $15 (CAD).
strickerj likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
A few scattered thoughts:
Also please don't blame the restaurant owners. Costs have gone through the roof, and the public (and corporate/franchisor) expect them to sell a large "N" -topping for $9.99. It's untenable without those sorts of bill gymnastics.
Pizza Hut franchise owners could easily start their own business. Why not create better pizza for a slightly higher price?

Many of the smaller chains and local places in this area are doing much better than Pizza Hut, which seem to be closing left and right. Local places and small chains around here don't charge a $5 delivery fee and the food actually tastes like food.
seat38a and strickerj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by mary mary
One San Diego restaurant (part of Cohn group) I use to go to started the 3% surcharge when California raised minimum wage and bla, bla health insurance costs. I say "use to" because I'm boycotting them until they quit it or surcharges become so prevalent that I can't avoid. I wish it would work like Europe.

One reason they do it that hasn't been mention is that raising menu prices affects how much rent they pay while a surcharge doesn't. Can't completely explain this part b/c I don't really understand commercial real estate leases.
Many commercial leases have a rent component and a percentage based on sales component which is based on gross sales and not net sales. Every month on top of your base rent, you pay a percentage usually 7% above your breakpoint (Monthly rent divided by 7%). I don't 100% understand it but from what I've heard, airlines don't pay excise tax on fee's which is the reason they keep raising the fee component.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If the restaurant adds a fee to the bill that’s what I pay, period. They’ve taken away my discretion. So be it.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by BamaVol

Parts
Labor
Shop Supplies
Sales Tax
That isn't a comparable example though, because labor is a billable item (like an entree) in your case. In the dealership situation it would be like surcharging parts by 5% to pay for the parts department salaries/health insurance/etc.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I said another country, not state
But when I go to Canada I feel it is not the same expectation like in the US. Maybe I just have this illusion of them being friendlier and more easy going
Up here they may not chase after you, but if you're memorable don't plan on being a repeat customer The girls in the bar and liquor store I worked security at made some real good money with their tips. Waitresses made $30-$40 an hour and the bartenders did $40-$60 an hour.

On either the ANA or JAL subforum, someone made a disturbing report of trip jar popingp up in hipster-like places in Tokyo, as well as a popular Sushi restaurant IIRC.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tessy143
Servers these days are typically tipping out anywhere from 8-12% of their SALES to the house regardless if they actually got tipped or not sometimes meaning if they don’t get tipped on a large bill they are essentially paying to be at work.

Employers then use the house tip to pay managers, porters/bussers, kitchen staff etc. Servers either pool the leftover few percent and split evenly amongst themselves or keep for themselves. Any additional tip over a mandatory service charge /auto-gratuity displayed on the bill is a true tip of which 100% would go to the server.

Here’s an example:

Food and drink = $300
18 per cent service charge = $45.00
5 per cent tax = $17.25
Total $362.25

Restaurant
House Tipout of 8% of net sales including tax
Porter Tipout 3% of net sales including tax
11% of ($300+$17.25) = $34.90

Server tips out $34.90 to house/porter regardless of whether or not she got tipped on top of the bill. From the $45.00 total “service charge” added to your bill your server will receive $10.10

$10.10 of a $300 bill is 3 percent. So essentially your server makes 3% on her net sales.

I always tip 15 or 20% on top of the final bill which leaves the server personally with the tip plus she gets the 3% from service charge.

Basically restaurant food costs and expenses have increased greatly over the past few years and prices have not really been inflated appropriately to adjust for this. If a restaurant needs to charge $20 a meal to breakeven or be profitable, instead of just charging $20 for that dish as would be the proper thing to do, they instead write a menu price of $15 add the tax and the service charge which goes back to them and that $20 lunch doesn’t seem so bad on a menu at $15. This is their theory.

Meanwhile servers are the ones who have to take the fault for making you feel like you should tip on top of a service/auto-gratuity. It is because autograt/service charge on a bill isn’t a real tip, it’s money collected by the restaurant itself disguised as such.

Please define "house" and "porter."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.