Wiki Posts
Search

3% surcharge in restaurant, but "keep tipping as usual"

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Can you be more specific, Europe is a big continent, with lots of countries.

I haven’t seen variable pricing in years and although I haven’t worked in payments for a few years I thought PSD2 had significantly restrictly/abolished card surcharges.
Denmark and Italy.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Denmark and Italy.
In the last 18 months? PSD2 came into force on 1 Jan 2018 and effectively prohibited card surcharges for consumer credit cards in the EU.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
In the last 18 months? PSD2 came into force on 1 Jan 2018 and effectively prohibited card surcharges for consumer credit cards in the EU.
Does this regulation also prohibit discounts for cash or debit payment?
Old May 18, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Does this regulation also prohibit discounts for cash or debit payment?
I’m not a lawyer but I would imagine the directive and accompanying regulations are drafted tightly enough to weed out semantics like this. Whether it’s enforced equally in each jurisdiction is another question.

That said, I haven’t come across discounts/surcharges in a few years. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for “our card machine is broken”, particularly in southern Italy.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I certainly sympathize with these costs making a big difference to small businesses, but the credit card fees should be more than paid for by the increase in business that comes with accepting credit cards - charging those fees directly to the customer seems like double dipping. To use a Flyertalk analogy, it’s like a hotel reaping the benefits of being under the Marriott brand but then not honoring award bookings or elite benefits.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I went to a Japanese restaurant with some friends and they included an 18% gratuity to the check but still provided a tip line. We all crossed that out. I normally leave 20% but I won't when the restaurant already includes the gratuity.
JBord and strickerj like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by malmostoso
The restaurant business clearly has a lot to learn from the airline business.

Unbundled dining concept: the price of the dishes only covers the dishes themselves, the service charge is the YQ.

Basic dining? No problem, but expect a table by the door or the toilet. Better table? Just select your table for 20, 40, or 100$.

Did you bring a jacket? Sorry, it can't hang from the chair, but the coat check is free with the Dining+ package (which also includes breadsticks) or with the restaurant branded credit card (use of the credit card to pay the bill incurs in surcharges).

Obviously cancellation of your reservation is not possible (surely you understand), but you can purchase our insurance which will refund 10% of the mandatory charge in case of death of the main diner only.

Thank you for choosing to dine with us!

LOL and lets go a step further. Have the restaurant have a frequent diner program.

Eat 50 meals in a year with us and you dont have to pay for dishes and silverware and your coat check is free regardless of dining package.

Eat 100 meals in a year with us and you can select your table for free.

In all seriousness when I dine in a restaurant I am only willing to pay 3 things on the bill. Menu price, tax, and tip. I always tip 20% regardless of quality of service because it just makes my dining experience simpler. The only thing that will make me tip less than 20% is add on surcharges and junk fees.

Slap on a 3% surcharge plus a 2% credit card surcharge and my 20% tip now becomes a 15% tip.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
My wife and I went to Olive Garden last night and I usually tip 18-22% depending on the service. But last night, the server was a complete disaster with me having to remind her of the breadsticks, cheese for the soups/salads (she did not forget for the main dishes), no offer for dessert, and no chocolates with the check. I ended giving her only 10% and left. One of our regular severs stopped by as we were leaving (a trainer) and I told her how bad it was so it didn't have to go up to management directly, and I hope she will improve.

However, I did get points on my app.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
LOL and lets go a step further. Have the restaurant have a frequent diner program.

Eat 50 meals in a year with us and you dont have to pay for dishes and silverware and your coat check is free regardless of dining package.

Eat 100 meals in a year with us and you can select your table for free.

In all seriousness when I dine in a restaurant I am only willing to pay 3 things on the bill. Menu price, tax, and tip. I always tip 20% regardless of quality of service because it just makes my dining experience simpler. The only thing that will make me tip less than 20% is add on surcharges and junk fees.

Slap on a 3% surcharge plus a 2% credit card surcharge and my 20% tip now becomes a 15% tip.
Did you tip 20% 10-15 years ago? When will you go to 25%?

I admire your consistency, but let’s be honest 20% is a evolving construct of expectation set by the industry, you might think you’re in control but by never varying it, you’re not.

Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Actually yes, I started tipping 20% all the time about 10 years ago. Before that I would leave between 10 -20% depending on how i felt about the service and overall experience but it just became annoying having to keep track of everything. I'd rather think about what I am going to do later, have a conversation with friends, etc rather than keep track of the server's performance and do some math problem and employee evaluation when the bill comes. Far easier to just enjoy my meal, then tack on a 20% tip at the end. The math was easy enough, truncate the last digit of the bill then double to get 20%. I just considered it an unbundled labor charge. If the service was bad or I didnt like some aspect about the restaurant, I just didnt come back.

Today a 20% tip is considered good, reading server places on Reddit with them always complaining about their tips they seem thrilled if they can get 20%, seems most people still leave 10-15% so at always tipping 20% I should be good for quite a while. Can't see a time any time soon where a 20% tip will be seen as cheap.

Oh, and I only tip on the pre-tax amount. Sales tax is not an item you can order and irrelevant as far as service is concerned so therefore it has no bearing on the tip amount.

Last edited by Dadaluma83; Jun 4, 2019 at 8:23 am Reason: Clarified tipping pre-tax
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:22 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Restaurant = Surcharge, Hotel = Resort Fee.

We’re getting charged for use of utensils, napkins, and having waitstaff.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

I do have some sympathy for smaller businesses with regards to surcharges for CC processing. Not so much for those who want to impose such to "cover the increased costs of doing business" or to try to shame guests into not supporting fair pay/benefits for employees.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Now you get charged for using a human cashier. At the places where you order at the counter.
(if you think they delivery is a big deal you should try Carl's Jr, which delivers for free with no expectation of tipping!)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If a restaurant pre-tips for me, I am almost always going to tip less overall. Hit me with nothing, I tend to be around 20% of the pre-tax total. Sometimes more for bartenders. But pre-charge me 18%, and I'm not adding anything else. Pre-charge me 3%, which really seems like shooting yourselves in the foot, and I'm likely adding another 10-15% tops. It's just annoying as hell, leaves me in a crabby mood when I'm signing the check, and consciously or not I'm kind of rounding down and don't feel guilty about it.

Apply a credit card surcharge and I'm likely to tip 0% and give someone an earful about it. Thankfully, this has not happened to me at a table-service restaurant.

I've also never run into variable prices in Europe for credit cards. Some restaurants will try the DCC scam, and some will add a fixed gratuity to the check (often a very small amount). Some give the option to tip; if they do that, I'll follow whatever the local custom is. Some do not give any option to tip at all.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.