Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tilapia sucks!

Tilapia sucks!

Old May 3, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Free agent
I don't think anyone disputes NE being an incredible area for seafood. I only find issues with many of the preparations for seafood up there being way too heavy and/or creamy.

Watching tourist eat chowder in the summer is gross.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I don't think anyone disputes NE being an incredible area for seafood. I only find issues with many of the preparations for seafood up there being way too heavy and/or creamy.

Well, that's because folks in New England make chowder all wrong

This is chowder:

Old May 3, 2019, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

+1. Cream is for coffee and dessert. It is not meant for soups of any description much less used to obliterate the taste of fresh seafood.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
Well, that's because folks in New England make chowder all wrong

This is chowder: Delicious picture
I wasn't going to start a holy war in this thread but I think you're correct. The best chowder I've ever had was at Eisenberg's in Manhattan. It's a Friday only special and I ate it every week for years. New England chowder is good maybe once or twice a year for me. It's just too heavy. I've had better cream-based oyster/seafood stews on the Cape but they were far lighter than the normal chowder you come across.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You really haven't lived until you've started baking your salads! And then you've earned your baked ice cream for dessert.
Now, you’re talking! Baked Alaska. At Antoine’s.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Now, you’re talking! Baked Alaska. At Antoine’s.
Truly one of the greatest desserts. I haven't been in too long.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Interesting. I've always found the fish in the Bay Area in CA to be very disappointing. Even the supposedly good stores (such as Whole Foods and its competitors) and the roadside fresh fish markets in fishing ports seem to sell fish that has seen better days. It's really not that hard - catch it and get it on sale later the same day or, in extremis, the following day.

I therefore avoid fish in the USA altogether now.
Who said Whole Foods was a "good" store?

It used to be expensive and organic, now it's just expensive. Food claimed to be organic is not the same as good tasting.

If you want fresh fish, there are plenty of choices for it in the Bay Area. Pretty much any Chinese grocery has good fish, usually fresh, there are fish markets that have great quality fish, there's several harbors where you can often buy fish right off the boats, etc.

Originally Posted by moondog
When I lived in Portland, OR 10 years ago, Zupan's had pretty nice fish that wasn't super expensive.

But, when I was a student at Stanford 5 years before, I was pretty much limited to salmon from Safeway.
If you could get to Safeway, why not go to Draeger's instead? Far better meats and seafood than that Safeway. Or there was (is?) a high end meat and seafood place in the shopping center. Down the road in Mountain View there are a number of Chinese groceries carrying a wide variety of fish, usually good quality.
TWA884 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Folks, I generally eat only fish that I catch. So, there is no doubting the freshness. (And I have Atlantic cod in the fridge that I caught yesterday). My one bit of advice. Learn how to clean/fillet a whole fish. That way, you can be sure that the fish is fresh. When in the store, 1) look into the fishes eyes. If cloudy...run away. 2) examine the gills. If they are not brightly colored, the fish has been frozen. 3) hold it up to your nose and take a whiff. If it smells fishy, it has been sitting around for a few days.
As for tilapia, no way!
Old May 3, 2019, 1:22 pm

Nothing wrong with flash frozen fish in my experience. If I'm buying anywhere but the dock, that's my preference.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If you could get to Safeway, why not go to Draeger's instead? Far better meats and seafood than that Safeway. Or there was (is?) a high end meat and seafood place in the shopping center. Down the road in Mountain View there are a number of Chinese groceries carrying a wide variety of fish, usually good quality.
Back then, we had Andronico's, which I think might have been acquired by Whole Foods since, which was okay, but Safeway was much more convenient for me. Furthermore, I have nothing against salmon; it just gets a little boring.

With respect to chowder, I won't eat it daily, especially during the summer, but I do like it.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Nothing wrong with flash frozen fish in my experience. If I'm buying anywhere but the dock, that's my preference.
As long as it's properly blast frozen. Nothing wrong with frozen fish at all.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
As long as it's properly blast frozen. Nothing wrong with frozen fish at all.
During my sole fishing trip in Alaska, we froze the halibut, but not the cod. The fishing guy told me that cod doesn't freeze well
Old May 4, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by moondog
Back then, we had Andronico's, which I think might have been acquired by Whole Foods since, which was okay, but Safeway was much more convenient for me. Furthermore, I have nothing against salmon; it just gets a little boring.

With respect to chowder, I won't eat it daily, especially during the summer, but I do like it.
Andronico's went bust and Safeway picked up the scraps.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
A restaurant near me that focuses on local food uses pickerel in their fish tacos. Try those and you'll never eat tilapia tacos again.
Pickerel, walleye, perch and other pikefish are worth the premium in price for my money. They're all very tasty aquatic critters. Love steelhead, too.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Pickerel, walleye, perch and other pikefish are worth the premium in price for my money. They're all very tasty aquatic critters. Love steelhead, too.
Fine if you live up north. I never see any of that down here. Freshwater critters in a southern seafood market consist of crawfish and catfish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.