Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I've had the experience of a travelling companion who was a not particularly adventuresome eater. He gravitated toward predictable foods while I would try just about anything new. He did make up for it by being an enthusiastic drinker.
I recall a thread on here from years ago where a guy had to travel with a coworker to Paris. I believe it was the coworker's first trip outside the US and after playing along with the more experienced Flyertalker's restaurant choices for a few days he was given the choice to pick where to eat. "Denny's" was the response. LOL

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:30 am Reason: Fast Food Posts moved from existing thread-- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1777108 Please excuse continuity gaps
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser

I recall a thread on here from years ago where a guy had to travel with a coworker to Paris. I believe it was the coworker's first trip outside the US and after playing along with the more experienced Flyertalker's restaurant choices for a few days he was given the choice to pick where to eat. "Denny's" was the response. LOL
I can sympathize with the need for some simple, familiar food while traveling. That is why I love eating in Portugal, there is always a simple grilled fish with plain boiled potatoes and a vegetable on the menu no matter how modest or fancy the restaurant.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Fraser
I know the type. Three colleagues and I had just arrived in Tokyo on a business trip and were looking for a quick lunch. As we wandered the streets near our hotel two of them were delighted to find a McDonalds. They thought we were crazy when instead of quarter pounder two of us slurped amazing ramen noodles from a sidewalk cart.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:18 pm

I know the type. Three colleagues and I had just arrived in Tokyo on a business trip and were looking for a quick lunch. As we wandered the streets near our hotel two of them were delighted to find a McDonalds. They thought we were crazy when instead of quarter pounder two of us slurped amazing ramen noodles from a sidewalk cart.
I have a personal aversion to eating at American chain restaurants while traveling overseas. To the point where my wife and I drove around in circles for 20 minutes in a foreign town because I was convinced there had to be a local restaurant open. Sadly I finally had to accept that the only three options open were KFC, Burger King or McDonalds
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Exterous
I have a personal aversion to eating at American chain restaurants while traveling overseas. To the point where my wife and I drove around in circles for 20 minutes in a foreign town because I was convinced there had to be a local restaurant open. Sadly I finally had to accept that the only three options open were KFC, Burger King or McDonalds

I'll do the American chain restaurant just once for to try out an item or two for the novelty of the unique items to the local area that I can't find at their American counterparts. I recently visited McD in Tokyo looking for their "lazy egg" McFlurry. One of my traveling buddies is from Ohio, so he had to visit Wendy's First Kitchen and get a few photos to show friends back home and try out their unique dishes. But we definitely didn't eat a real meal there, just a snack to say we were there.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The chain restaurants are also often useful if you're in need of a toilet in an area where they're scarce. I've bought the one euro soda at McDonalds in Paris solely for restroom access purposes.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Was this in Canada?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Was this in Canada?
Could it really be Canada without a Tim Horton's option?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I eat at KFC way more often in SE Asia than I do in the US. More local varieties (spicy chicken, creamy chicken soup) make it more fun.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:26 am

McDonald's in Hong Kong has bought back the widely popular Shogun Burger (sausage patty covered in sweet ginger teriyaki sauce) for a limited time, sold out of its limited edition durian-flavoured ice cream within two days, and sells mentaiko-flavoured Shake Shake fries and green tea and red bean sundaes.

So you could be missing out on some McD's food that you'll never see back home, even if it's just for the photo ops.

(Yes I realise some of this stuff has a Japanese bent, not really Hong Kong style.)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can you be a bit more specific please?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can you be a bit more specific please?
It was somewhere in New Zealand although I don't remember the particular town. I did get the Kiwi Burger which was just a standard burger with beat slices on it but at least it was kinda different.

I've been to chains before but I'd rather try food dishes I can't get at home from a local place. But I haven't been to many Asian countries yet so maybe those offer a better variety in their US chain locations

Last edited by Exterous; Sep 3, 2018 at 6:30 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
In over 40 years of international travel I have eaten twice in American fast food outlets outside of North America. A Burger King in Davos, Switzerland, because a co-worker insisted. A McDonalds in Greater London after arriving in a dodgy neighbourhood late at night because it was the only thing open. I am still ashamed.

My definition of a truly horrible travel companion includes someone who even suggests we eat in American fast-food joints while overseas.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:26 am

Starbucks seems to be about the only place in the UK where you can get a proper American-style iced tea. We've made more than one stop on one there when the craving hits.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
My definition of a truly horrible travel companion includes someone who even suggests we eat in American fast-food joints while overseas.
Count me on your side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.