Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Business Insider compares Whataburger, In-N-Out, & Shake Shack: Says Whataburger Wins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Insider compares Whataburger, In-N-Out, & Shake Shack: Says Whataburger Wins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Its probably a good thing Five Guys doesnt have a drive thru. Those french fries will stink up your car for 2 weeks if you bring them in the car.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by csufabel
Before this goes to "Dining Buzz"...

Why include Five Guys when no location has a Drive-Thru?

They are really not a QSR (Quick Service Restaurant), they are more a Fast Casual, like their sandwich/burger/Ethnic competitors: The Counter, Burger Fi, SmashBurger, Burger21, Shake Shack, Firehouse Subs, Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's, Panera*, Potbellys, Noodles&Co., Baja Fresh, Blaze Pizza, Boston Market, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Pei Wei Asian Diner, Pita Pit, Which Wich

*-Some Panera locations do have Drive Thru.
I just consider all of that "fast food". I've never thought about separate categories for places that have a drive-thru. (I'm unfamiliar with Pei Wei.)

In the "better than the megachains" burger category, Five Guys, Culver's, Smashburger, Shake Shack, Whataburger, In n Out, and Fatburger all could be reasonably compared to each other. I'm also partial to Burgerville but I've never seen it outside of the Portland area so not sure if it's big enough to count. (It is fast food and is a local/regional chain though.)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csufabel
Before this goes to "Dining Buzz"...

Why include Five Guys when no location has a Drive-Thru?

They are really not a QSR (Quick Service Restaurant), they are more a Fast Casual, like their sandwich/burger/Ethnic competitors: The Counter, Burger Fi, SmashBurger, Burger21, Shake Shack, Firehouse Subs, Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's, Panera*, Potbellys, Noodles&Co., Baja Fresh, Blaze Pizza, Boston Market, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Pei Wei Asian Diner, Pita Pit, Which Wich

*-Some Panera locations do have Drive Thru.
Before? There already is a whataburger thread in Dining Buzz.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by pinniped
(I'm unfamiliar with Pei Wei.)
It's a fast-casual version of P.F. Changs. They are suprisingly not present in the KC/Chicago area.

Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wilbur
The best fast food burger chain that serves green chile on top of the burger is definitely Blake's in NM and AZ.
Blake’s also has three stores in El Paso, TX.

Best green chili cheeseburger I ever had was at Bobcat Bite (now closed) outside of Santa Fe. When I want one in Albuquerque I usually just go to Fuddruckers.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:59 am

m also partial to Burgerville but I've never seen it outside of the Portland area so not sure if it's big enough to count. (It is fast food and is a local/regional chain though.)
I love Burgerville. It's mainly around Portland but there are some in southern Washington as well. They go north almost to Olympia.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MissJ
I love Burgerville. It's mainly around Portland but there are some in southern Washington as well. They go north almost to Olympia.
Man, if that thing ever decides to really expand, it would quickly develop an In-N-Out style fanbase. That is, one where people who live outside its footprint know about it and go out of their way to eat there when they are in proximity to one.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:33 pm

I also love Burgerville. The seasonal yogurt shakes are the bomb.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Man, if that thing ever decides to really expand, it would quickly develop an In-N-Out style fanbase.
And then all the faux food snobs would go "Ew, it's a chain! We can't possibly eat there!"
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Buster
I also love Burgerville. The seasonal yogurt shakes are the bomb.
I would punch someone for a fresh strawberry yogurt shake or even a chocolate hazelnut right now.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
The problem with Burgerville is the quality of their food has dropped in the last couple of years. 5-10 years ago they were head and shoulders above most burger chains with interesting seasonal items on a base of well produced everyday menu. Now it's potluck if you end up a lukewarm soggy burger or a crisp right off the grill one. The consistency from location to location has also gone out the door. It's clear they've been struggling (look at the cutbacks in seasonal items and their labor problems, which are only getting worse).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not had the chance to sample Shake Shack (line has been too long every time I've been in NYC), but neither In-n-Out nor Whataburger has really appealed to me, and Five Guys I refer to as Greaseburger. What a heart-attack-on-a-bun those people turn out. In-n-Out has to rank as one of the truly spectacular disappointments of my culinary life, given all the hype I heard before I actually experienced their product.

My personal favorite fast hamburgers are served up by Wendy's and Steak 'n Shake, but they're nowhere near as good as the burgers I can get at any number of local bars and pubs in and around Columbus.

As for fries, I've yet to find a burger place that does what I call a great job with them. My favorites by far are the ones City Barbecue turns out, with skin on and a nice brown color from being cooked in superhot grease. Yum. (I have to admit Five Guys fries are not bad.)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The best fast food burger chain that serves green chile on top of the burger is definitely Blake's in NM and AZ.
I wouldn't say the best since the only place I've been to with green chiles on burgers has been Blake's, but they are pretty good.

As for OP, I'd probably rank Shake Shack as first, then In-N-Out, then Whataburger (yes, I know, blasphemous since I grew up in CA ). While it would be nice if Shake Shack's burgers were larger, I already have a hard time justifying going to any burger place all that often thanks to the calories.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I've not had the chance to sample Shake Shack (line has been too long every time I've been in NYC), but neither In-n-Out nor Whataburger has really appealed to me, and Five Guys I refer to as Greaseburger. What a heart-attack-on-a-bun those people turn out. In-n-Out has to rank as one of the truly spectacular disappointments of my culinary life, given all the hype I heard before I actually experienced their product.

My personal favorite fast hamburgers are served up by Wendy's and Steak 'n Shake, but they're nowhere near as good as the burgers I can get at any number of local bars and pubs in and around Columbus.

As for fries, I've yet to find a burger place that does what I call a great job with them. My favorites by far are the ones City Barbecue turns out, with skin on and a nice brown color from being cooked in superhot grease. Yum. (I have to admit Five Guys fries are not bad.)
I spent some time living in German Village and working in downtown Columbus in the 1990s. Thurman's, the Old Mohawk and even the original Max and Erma's couldn't be beat for a killer burger.

The original Wendy's on Broad St. would crank out some fantastic burgers on a level In-n-Out could only hope for. I suspect some things have changed since then
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
As for fries, I've yet to find a burger place that does what I call a great job with them.
Yeah, this is a struggle for most burger places. Even accepting that their own style is good if they do it properly, they often don't do the fries properly. McDonald's probably gets closest, although my sample size for them is disproportionately airports where there's always enough traffic to know they aren't sitting there for long.

My problem is that my favorite style is a British-style pub chip, a little bit well done, and fast food joints in the U.S. all seem to go with a thinner fry. I lived next to a chippy in Wales for a year that *always* cooked 'em a little crispier than a typical British chip, and I loved that. To this day, I compare all fries/chips to that place, and it's kind of unfair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.