Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
But China doesn't really qualify as SE Asia.
And its why I put a qualifier to my experience in my posts.

So even the different dumplings, you do not enjoy?
Dumplings were a rare treat with the locals I spent time with. Read my post before this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by annerj
..Dumplings were a rare treat with the locals I spent time with. Read my post before this.
What about La Mian. French Beans, dry pancakes, Stinky Tofu, or Congee?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
“The shows, along with other food content on Travel, will no longer air on prime time, but on Saturday mornings in rotation. This decision came before Andrew’s comments were made.”

It is believed Zimmern’s shows on the Cooking Channel and the Food Network will continue as scheduled.

What show does he have on the Food Network???
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are we wanting to break down every food available?

La Main -- the ones we had (maybe called something different?) were almost a wheat tasting noodle and the soup or whatever that was in it, I wasn't a fan
French Beans -- not sure exactly what this is
Dry pancakes --- not sure
Stinky Tofu --- UGH
Congee -- the rice soupy stuff? not good to me.

*I ate/tried everything that was sat in front of me as I always do.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I love eating at all the first generation restaurants in my town. They all shop at the same international markets. The clever guys incorporate other ingredients into their traditional dishes to make it a uniquely American dish. Using jicama in a stir fry, or jicama kimchi, or using Chinese red peppers in a classic Mexican salsa, or Chinese vegetable ingredients in a Turkish kebab. Pho with jalapeños. Why not?

My favorite Szechuan restaurant puts jalapeños in their Chengdu Beef. OMG.

This is the fusion cuisine that makes things American, and I, for one, love it.

As if Zimmern's restaurant with Tiki faces with slushie machines at the bar was somehow authentic Chinese fare. LOL
I'm not sure that these fusion efforts are always successful.

Company holiday lunch, new job, we go to a Mexican restaurant. This place is owned and run by folks from Mexico and has been around for years.

They use Velveeta Cheese exclusively. Ugh.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie

Company holiday lunch, new job, we go to a Mexican restaurant. This place is owned and run by folks from Mexico and has been around for years.

That is a shame and a crime.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are we wanting to break down every food available?

La Main -- the ones we had (maybe called something different?) were almost a wheat tasting noodle and the soup or whatever that was in it, I wasn't a fan
French Beans -- not sure exactly what this is
Dry pancakes --- not sure
Stinky Tofu --- UGH
Congee -- the rice soupy stuff? not good to me.
I’ve always imagined weero as being one of those people who can’t let different foods/colours touch on his plate. This is now more than just a suspicion
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
In Hungary I ate at a Chinese restaurant and ordered a turkey dish (don’t remember what, though - but definitely a “Chinese” dish ). I thought it was pretty good.

And in South Africa I ate at a more upscale Chinese restaurant that had ostrich dishes on its menu. I don’t think we ordered any, but again, I can’t rember.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie

That "fusion" effort is almost as bad as when sportsbar or some other kind of non-Mexican restaurant decide to do "taco night" once a week. Bring out the Old El Paso sauce in a plastic squirt bottle...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
Italian food in Italy is uniquely heavenly. Nobody else does it like they do. In the U.S., I enjoy the heavier American-style Italian a couple times a year in the winter. American Italian tends to be a big carb bomb and often not terribly flavorful. But it's also the comfort food of my youth, so I enjoy it around the holidays.
I have family in Italy, so I've got a bit of experience and I think there's a lot of bad Italian food in Italy, but when it's done well it's phenomenal. When they try to get too outside their circle of competence it really can fall in a horrible heap (orange and pomegranate risotto anyone?) Italian food is about the ingredients, IME, Italian-American is about quantity, so invariably the quality of the ingredients isn't great and then it's either fried or covered in copious amounts of sugary tomato sauce or cream sauce; if you've got quality you don't need all the stuff piled on top of it. I'd say you could just drop the Italian bit and call it American food because it's really got so little in common with Italian.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well said i thought >

Callout culture comes from a place of class, educational, and ability privilege.
Callout culture has some incredibly oppressive dynamics.

Not all people who do oppressive things are privileged.
Not all people who don’t like anger are privileged.

inability to separate “my anger is valid, liberating, and empowering” from “literally anything I do because of my anger is valid, liberating, and empowering.”
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Since your location is SIN, why didn't you list Hainan chicken rice or char kway teow instead?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
I’ve always imagined weero as being one of those people who can’t let different foods/colours touch on his plate. This is now more than just a suspicion
Originally definitely - I also don't like diversity in food. I like one simple dish per meal and had a hard time to eat to different offerings in one session.

That and the fact that Chinese cuisine likes to integrate many unknown components in one dish was the biggest challenge for me to start liking Chinese-Chinese food.

..I ate/tried everything that was sat in front of me as I always do.
I try to do that too ... with sometimes very unpleasant results.

When I have to try Southern Indian food, I learnt to always bring coritcosteroids and an epipen.
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Since your location is SIN, why didn't you list Hainan chicken rice or char kway teow instead?
Because I don't eat chicken, if I have a choice.

My number one reason why I don't fly UA anymore.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 3, 2019 at 6:59 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:02 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
When I have to try Southern Indian food, I learnt to always bring coritcosteroids and an epipen.
This is why I generally avoid some restaurants. I've found they either don't take allergies seriously or aren't able to ensure that my food will be prepared without allergens. I've made the trip to the ER for an allergic reaction once. I'd prefer not to need to repeat it or the week-long meds after the reaction.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by kipper
This is why I generally avoid some restaurants. I've found they either don't take allergies seriously or aren't able to ensure that my food will be prepared without allergens. I've made the trip to the ER for an allergic reaction once. I'd prefer not to need to repeat it or the week-long meds after the reaction.
If I take the antihistamines or the cortisone early, the reaction will be much milder. But the food comes up rather quickly nonetheless. I hence only eat it, if socially unavoidable and I keep the intake to a minimum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.