Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Read his quote in the article. The difference is he wasn't criticizing "a particular restaurant" he was calling ALL of them "horsesh-t" and that he was "saving the souls" by opening his own Chinese restaurant.

If the discussion is between some gas bag TV "celebrity" cook or the thousands of hard-working people running Chinese restaurants across fly-over country in North America put me in Column B.
If he called out the people demanding that westernized food I would give him credit but he called out the people fulfilling the demand. Does he really think that the people asking should we get Chinese or go to Olive Garden are going to be interested in the place he is opening in order to get "real" Chinese.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Sad that TV execs have no backbone and cave to the SJW over anything they whine about like the spoiled brats they are. Opinions are not allowed unless they consist of unicorns and rainbows.

Chinese food in general tastes like ..... I know not everyone agrees with me, and that's okay. But that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Social Justice Keyboard Warriors need to stfu and find something else to do!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
...Social Justice Keyboard Warriors need to stfu and find something else to do!
Oh the irony...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'll be completely honest: I didn't even know who this guy was prior to this thread. Now I've read a couple articles just out of curiosity, and realize he made the comments at the same time he was pushing his own product.

I honestly think this is less about Chinese-American cuisine and culture and more about him trying to profit off his own restaurant, which he says he wants to grow as large as PF Chang's.

I don't know if that makes it any better or worse. Without seeing the whole original context, it sounds like he was attacking mallfood quality Chinese food, not creative Asian-American chefs doing nontraditional cuisine. But I don't really know, and wasn't ever going to watch his show no matter what timeslot it runs in.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Andrew, your new place, is no PF Changs!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
The French style influenced the rest of Western Europe.
Thanks to the French Revolution. All of a sudden a large number of cooks that used to work for the nobility had to find new jobs. Many of them decided to open restaurants.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I used to work for a company in Hsinchu. Sometimes they would have pizza delivered from Pizza Hut. We played it safe with pepperoni, because the locals preferred shellfish pizza, including a cuttlefish.
Yeah, most of the pizza here (even from the Western chains--Pizza Hut, Dominoes) has been localized to accommodate local tastes and ingredient availability. The standard tomato sauce is often replaced with this awful mystery sweet sauce. Yuck. In addition to the seafood ingredients you mentioned, it is also common to find canned tuna, peas & carrots, and corn as toppings. Also, pizzas are often decorated with a sweet mayonnaise lattice (bleh). For this reason, I generally make my own pizza from scratch at home, or go to Costco (and don't order the seafood pizza). Taiwan Costco offers combo, Hawaiian, and they rotate the third choice. Sometimes the 3rd is pepperoni. I've also seen Peking duck, which is not bad. Currently, it's Hakka roast pork (of which I have a few leftover slices currently sitting in my fridge )
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:02 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
In reality many foods, such as American Italian are often better than in the home country. They are often dishes invented by immigrants, which have access to much better meat & produce, in in their native lands. My travels abroad aboard, including three MSC vessels (in bout Yacht club & Specialty Dining) has proven this to me, that American Italian is better than much of true Italy.
Let me guess, you think Olive Garden is way better than "true" Italian?
ariel81 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I consider Trattoria Il Mulino of New York, to be a prime example. Here is a direct link, to their Disney property.
https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.c...ino/index.html

Dinner Menu https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.c...ino-dinner.pdf
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
I read an article a few years ago that explained it in a little more detail. Basic idea is that these three have a long imperial history and have influenced most of the rest of the regional cuisines in the world. The French style influenced the rest of Western Europe. The Ottomans influenced the other Mediterranean cuisines. The Chinese influenced most of Asia.

The first thing that came to mind for me was whether Indian should be its own grand cuisine. Plus I think of Japanese as substantially different from other Asian cuisines. But I guess for this "rule of 3" purpose, French, Ottoman, and Chinese probably top the list. If they'd have asked me, I would have said Texas, Kansas City, and Memphis. But they didn't ask me.

Veteran of exactly 1 cruise here. We were on Celebrity X, which markets itself as more of a midrange brand above the Carnivals of the world. (I think Royal Caribbean owns it.) The food everywhere was decent - nothing awful, nothing great. They were proud of their "specialty" restaurants, but none would have been all that remarkable if they'd been in a shopping mall instead of on a boat. The sushi joint was reasonably good. The "main" dining hall was rather mediocre. The buffet sufficed for breakfast. About on par with your typical Marriott buffet. Unlikely that I'll do another cruise for many years.
Actually, they market themselves as "Modern Luxury."

Originally Posted by kipper
Let me guess, you think Olive Garden is way better than "true" Italian?
Didn't some poll find Olive Garden best Italian restaurant in Pittsburgh a few years ago?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Heh, I've got a bit of a different take on the "secret menu" at Chinese restaurants.
I never considered it a secret menu, just a menu they didn't think would be desirable to Americans.

They have a real scam going there, knowing that any Chinese guests will be desperate for "Chinese" food, and since they're the only game in town, they will be willing to pay just about anything. Even my SIL admitted it was lousy food. It ended up being the most expensive meal of our trip--by far.
Yeah, you're clearly describing a scam.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:01 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Actually, they market themselves as "Modern Luxury."

Didn't some poll find Olive Garden best Italian restaurant in Pittsburgh a few years ago?
LOL, probably, but I haven't lived there in years.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I consider Trattoria Il Mulino of New York, to be a prime example. Here is a direct link, to their Disney property.
https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.c...ino/index.html
They have a presence at the Mouse? Wow, that must be a guarantee for top quality. Disney visitors are well known for being among the most knowledgeable of world cuisine, after all.
EuropeanPete and ariel81 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
We need to have a DO in China and taste some authentic Chinese cusine and cooking style. Not everything is from a wok with oil.

Why do you think Chinese people are rarely overweight until recent years of the western "invasion"?

By the way, most Chinese food here sucks.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
We need to have a DO in China and taste some authentic Chinese cusine and cooking style. Not everything is from a wok with oil.

Why do you think Chinese people are rarely overweight until recent years of the western "invasion"?

By the way, most Chinese food here sucks.
I'm always down for meetups (that fall well short of "DO" stature), but I must confess that --in spite of spending more than half of my life to date in China-- there are only a few types of "authentic" that I prefer to Chinese food in the USA.

My gripes are:
-freshwater fish (i.e. how "fresh" could the water possibly be?)
-vegetable dishes that all taste the same
-bones! I simply don't believe that bones add flavor in a positive manner
-stinginess on the rice front; I realize that only poor people supposedly eat rice, but people like myself require it in order to down sea slug without puking
-地沟油
-eating shell on shrimp via a disgusting mouth manuvre

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.