Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How long will an apple pie keep?

Old Dec 11, 18, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

Starting to plan the Christmas meal. I am having Apple Pie for dessert Christmas Day, but will need to make it ahead of time. How long will an apple pie keep?
Old Dec 11, 18, 1:30 pm

It depends on the recipe for the pie. A week, easily -- but if you are concerned, you could always freeze it.
Old Dec 12, 18, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I don't know but Sunday I opened a can of B&M Brown Bread that expired in 2015 and it was fine, if maybe a little dry. I have cut 2 slices, toasted them and covered them in margarine for breakfast every morning this week.

Brown Bread - for those unfamiliar with the product.

It takes us a while to eat a pie. I wouldn't go past 2 weeks but anything less is probably ok.
Old Dec 12, 18, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
I don't know but Sunday I opened a can of B&M Brown Bread that expired in 2015 and it was fine, if maybe a little dry. I have cut 2 slices, toasted them and covered them in margarine for breakfast every morning this week.

Brown Bread - for those unfamiliar with the product
I'm 50 years old and I just realized now that you can buy bread in a can?

Old Dec 12, 18, 12:22 pm

Programs: NWAgold
I just baked an apple pie yesterday morning. It was really good that day, but by this morning, the bottom crust was getting soggy and the top was not as crisp as it was yesterday. I'd think that by tomorrow it will be still be tasty but devoid of all of the textures that make fresh pie so irresistible. Maybe there's a way that you can bake the pie the same day or the day before, or else switch to pumpkin, which tends to hold up better (but needs to be refrigerated)?
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:28 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I buy raw frozen pies from our local bakery. A raw pie lasts a long time in the freezer. But you need to cook it several hours in advance of when you plan to eat it so it can cool and set.
Old Dec 12, 18, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

That's my problem. I just won't have the time in the morning to bake a pie (and the oven will be in use), and we do dinner the evening before as well with the other side of the family.
Old Dec 12, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I'm 50 years old and I just realized now that you can buy bread in a can?

Hickory Farms used to sell cake in a can. Moistest cake you'll ever eat. The key is that the dough is sealed in the can and the can is steamed for a couple hours. No way for moisture to escape.

Warning: Brown Bread is not suited to everyone's taste. I once distributed 12 cans to co-workers in Tennessee. 10 of the 12 came back and told me it was the vilest thing they ever put in their mouths and swallowed. The other 2 loved it. It tastes strongly of molasses.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I find that stuff that has a lot of sugar in it (like various pies and desserts) won't truly go bad for quite a while. That's not to say that it won't become unpalatable long before that point though.

Also, this is the first I've heard of brown bread too. It's $12 for 2 on Amazon, though, so I'll have to see if there are any stores here that sell it.
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:49 am
Original Poster

It's a New England thing. I havn't looked for canned bread for a while. Most people I know who still buy he stuff use it for a bread pudding dish, kind of like Indian Pudding.

Search this Thread