Search

Your Favorite Mexican Beer, If Any

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Your Favorite Mexican Beer, If Any

I had a late lunch at a Mexican restaurant that I still miss 9 years after leaving this town. As usual I ordered a Dos Equis Amber to accompany my carnitas. It just feels right, although I rarely bring home a six pack of the stuff.

I have tried other Mexican beers, often at someone else's recommendation, and I just don't like any of them: Modelo Negra, Corona, Pacifico, Tecate, et al.

Is there one better than Dos Equis that I have overlooked?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I do enjoy a Michelada from time to time (with or without Mexican beer).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Negra Modelo is a great beer, and it's also 5.4%.

Just about everything else is absolute piss water 4.2% ...corona, corona light, tecate, sol, pacifico, dos equis etc...it's all two steps below bud lights but retails for 50% more per six pack. Always amazes me.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
Negra Modelo is a great beer, and it's also 5.4%.

Just about everything else is absolute piss water 4.2% ...corona, corona light, tecate, sol, pacifico, dos equis etc...it's all two steps below bud lights but retails for 50% more per six pack. Always amazes me.
Most Mexican beers are "Vienna style lagers". They are meant to be light. And that's not what I enjoy. Dos Equis Amber and Modelo Negra (they renamed it to sound more Spanish?) are exceptions. There may be others. For whatever reason, I did not like the flavor of Modelo Negra. All the local Mexicans drink Tecate. I have no idea why. To me it is skunky.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always liked Negra Modelo.

Agree that most Mexican beers are light lagers - which makes sense given the Mexican climate. Who wants a dark, heavy beer when it's hot and humid? I personally have always liked Pacifico, not necessarily because it's an objectively good beer (it's more or less Bud Light) but because I associate it with when I lived in San Francisco. Same with Tecate.

Speaking of San Francisco, my roommate when I was there once remarked, "Every country has a national beer that tastes like Bud Light." So true.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
All the local Mexicans drink Tecate. I have no idea why. To me it is skunky.
Because it's cheap. Same reason so many Americans drink Bud Light.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
None really stand out, but I don't mind Tecate. I've drank several hundred of them over the years.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:18 pm

VIctoria was a beer I enjoyed on our last trip. The locals were drinking it, so I gave it a go. A bit darker than the usual Sol, Dos Equis etc.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Pacifico Clara. Then Negra Modelo.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree that the most marketed Mexican beers are mostly crap. Corona is especially awful. But high-dollar advertising has so many Americans convinced it's a premium product. Ugh. My go-to Mexican beer for many years has been Negra Modelo. Dos Equis Amber doesn't suck.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Modelo Especial. I like the Negra too but find Especial goes better with Mexican food.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bohemia. It was one of the first beers I drank and my dad had actually done a deal for them to get them financing when he was a lawyer so I always think of him when I have one. With a shot of tequila on the side, of course.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Bohemia. It was one of the first beers I drank and my dad had actually done a deal for them to get them financing when he was a lawyer so I always think of him when I have one. With a shot of tequila on the side, of course.
That one is OK but it sounds like the OP might prefer the dark instead of the classic. I want to say that they have a 3rd brand but am not 100% sure. To me, most Mexican beer is kind of like the U.S. beer market i.e. same basic taste with minor variances among the widely available brands.

I have yet to find an American beer that checks all of my boxes. Reminds me of buying wireless phones where I seemingly have to compromise in one area or another because the masses/manufacturers have differing ideas regarding the finished product.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Jesus Mexican Lager

https://untappd.com/b/evil-czech-bre...-lager/2249313
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I've been to Evil Czech!!!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kipper
I've been to Evil Czech!!!
It's a cool place near where we now live. Good food and beer. I make a pretty decent michelada with the Jesus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.