Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Apparently, I have a sensitivity to both gluten and dairy. My PCP recommended I avoid both. I'm so confused about what I can eat other than meats, veggies, and fruit, because, in addition to this, I'm allergic to all nuts. I'd normally eat yogurt for breakfast, because it's quick, I can grab it from the fridge, take it to work, and eat at my desk. Now, I know I need a different breakfast, but I have no idea of what that can be, other than fruit (which doesn't give me protein). My requirements are that it must be extremely quick and easy, can be prepared or easily transported to work, and doesn't leave dishes in the morning. Adding to it, I hate things like hard-boiled eggs. Suggestions? Solutions?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Apparently, I have a sensitivity to both gluten and dairy. My PCP recommended I avoid both. I'm so confused about what I can eat other than meats, veggies, and fruit, because, in addition to this, I'm allergic to all nuts. I'd normally eat yogurt for breakfast, because it's quick, I can grab it from the fridge, take it to work, and eat at my desk. Now, I know I need a different breakfast, but I have no idea of what that can be, other than fruit (which doesn't give me protein). My requirements are that it must be extremely quick and easy, can be prepared or easily transported to work, and doesn't leave dishes in the morning. Adding to it, I hate things like hard-boiled eggs. Suggestions? Solutions?
There are a wide variety of sports bars that don’t have any of the items you mentioned in them. No fuss no muss. Breakfast is always the hardest. McDonald’s hash browns are gluten free and they’re good. Sometimes people who have a gluten sensitivity develop an issue with lactose but after they’ve been on a gluten free diet for a while things settle down and lactose may be possible at that point. I have celiac so I feel your pain. Restaurants now are more aware of food allergies than they were years ago. I just happened to think about Starbucks. They have delicious egg bites with bacon or with peppers. Quick, small, easy to eat and not messy. They’re actually delicious and taste nothing like hard boiled eggs.

Bobette
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Doesn’t most beer have gluten in it? Might make your trips to Czech Republic not so fun, beverage wise.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b1513

There are a wide variety of sports bars that don’t have any of the items you mentioned in them. No fuss no muss. Breakfast is always the hardest. McDonald’s hash browns are gluten free and they’re good. Sometimes people who have a gluten sensitivity develop an issue with lactose but after they’ve been on a gluten free diet for a while things settle down and lactose may be possible at that point. I have celiac so I feel your pain. Restaurants now are more aware of food allergies than they were years ago. I just happened to think about Starbucks. They have delicious egg bites with bacon or with peppers. Quick, small, easy to eat and not messy. They’re actually delicious and taste nothing like hard boiled eggs.

Bobette
I've not seen a lot of sports bars that don't have nuts of some sort. If I could eat nuts, I wouldn't stress much. My issue isn't with lactose but casein. The Starbucks egg bites have milk. I think the combination of no nuts, no gluten and no dairy is incredibly challenging.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Doesn’t most beer have gluten in it? Might make your trips to Czech Republic not so fun, beverage wise.
Yep. I guess I'm going to learn a lot about Czech wine.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Or gluten free sparkling water.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I also have no idea how I'll eat there, other than meat.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:46 pm

There are gluten free beers at least here in the USA

Bobette
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b1513

There are gluten free beers at least here in the USA

Bobette
Yes, but they aren't exactly wonderful.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

This is one I enjoyed in Prague
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For breakfast, on Sundays I make a veggie &sausage hash - zucchini, butternut squash, peppers, sautéed in olive oil. Whatever appeals to me at the grocery store. I then divide it up between 5 plastic containers. In the morning I grease a coffee mug, and put a pinch of salt in the bottom. Crack an egg into it, and cover with plastic wrap with a small gap at side. I then microwave 45-50 seconds depending on the microwave. Heat up one of the veggie containers, put the egg on top and breakfast is done.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
For breakfast, on Sundays I make a veggie &sausage hash - zucchini, butternut squash, peppers, sautéed in olive oil. Whatever appeals to me at the grocery store. I then divide it up between 5 plastic containers. In the morning I grease a coffee mug, and put a pinch of salt in the bottom. Crack an egg into it, and cover with plastic wrap with a small gap at side. I then microwave 45-50 seconds depending on the microwave. Heat up one of the veggie containers, put the egg on top and breakfast is done.
That has some possibility, other than having to wash the coffee mug each morning. Seriously, I hate leaving dishes in the sink in the morning.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another option is egg muffins. You can google recipes for those. Most include milk and cheese but I haven’t had a problem doing without the cheese and substituting almond milk. You make a batch on the weekend and then again just heat one or two up on the weekday morning depending on your appetite.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
At work we can buy lots of dairy and gluten free products. You won't starve.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I think it takes me 45 seconds to microwave an egg to soft boiled consistency. I splash some hot sauce on it and I have breakfast,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.