Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
How about a big bag of jerky in the desk drawer? I find I can eat it at as a meal-substitute any time of day or night. It doesn't take much to take the edge off a hunger. If you look hard enough, there are brands without added sugar and massive amounts of preservatives. You can probably make your own as well.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm not fussy, I'm just particular.

I'd so buy it if it was gluten, nut, and dairy free!
And doesn’t have to be heated...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I find the Oatly brand of oat milk highly acceptable even as a milk drinker (Mom is vegan so I have tried a few). If you are a coffee drinker, the vegan creamers taste much better in coffee than the vegan milks. Also, if it turns out you are ok with the A2 casein I have seen A2 milk in the store lately, but reading up on it it sounds like it isn’t 100% A1free and I have no idea how sensitive you are.

But yeah, a session (or a few) with a nutritionist sounds like a very good idea.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I find the Oatly brand of oat milk highly acceptable even as a milk drinker (Mom is vegan so I have tried a few). If you are a coffee drinker, the vegan creamers taste much better in coffee than the vegan milks. Also, if it turns out you are ok with the A2 casein I have seen A2 milk in the store lately, but reading up on it it sounds like it isn’t 100% A1free and I have no idea how sensitive you are.

But yeah, a session (or a few) with a nutritionist sounds like a very good idea.
Good to know about Outly. We have some of that in the fridge from our Wegmans trip last weekend.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Fortunately I do not have allergy issues or sensitivities to any foods, so I'm the last person to make suggestions. But reading through these postings, Kipper, I'm wondering if you might ask your nutritionist if any of the protein powders which are readily available could be a good idea for you. I have seen people carrying around blender cups/mugs containing their protein smoothies so it seems on the surface an option for no muss, no fuss.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
Fortunately I do not have allergy issues or sensitivities to any foods, so I'm the last person to make suggestions. But reading through these postings, Kipper, I'm wondering if you might ask your nutritionist if any of the protein powders which are readily available could be a good idea for you. I have seen people carrying around blender cups/mugs containing their protein smoothies so it seems on the surface an option for no muss, no fuss.
I pondered it, although I think a lot of people mix it with milk. Unless Oatly or another milk substitute pans out, that's not a great option either.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:05 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Does the egg aversion also include crustless quiche/frittata type options? I usually do an Asian type quiche where the dairy is substituted with broth. I also use firmer veggies such as pre-cooked potatoes, spinach, corn and broccoli so they don't fall apart as easily without the help of any cheese to bind. It's similar to the egg pucks that they have in Starbucks but without the dairy. Most of the time I just chop up dinner leftovers, maybe add more spinach, top with the egg-broth mixture and then put them all in a medium oven-proof dish and either steam in a pressure cooker or bake in the oven. Then slice into small bite-sized squares or use a muffin pan if you prefer the round shape.

For dairy-free, gluten-free options I find it easier to think of dinner for breakfast instead of traditional breakfast items. For example, rice balls filled with homemade breadcrumb-free meatballs, or potato balls/patties filled with the same.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
Does the egg aversion also include crustless quiche/frittata type options? I usually do an Asian type quiche where the dairy is substituted with broth. I also use firmer veggies such as pre-cooked potatoes, spinach, corn and broccoli so they don't fall apart as easily without the help of any cheese to bind. It's similar to the egg pucks that they have in Starbucks but without the dairy. Most of the time I just chop up dinner leftovers, maybe add more spinach, top with the egg-broth mixture and then put them all in a medium oven-proof dish and either steam in a pressure cooker or bake in the oven. Then slice into small bite-sized squares or use a muffin pan if you prefer the round shape.

For dairy-free, gluten-free options I find it easier to think of dinner for breakfast instead of traditional breakfast items. For example, rice balls filled with homemade breadcrumb-free meatballs, or potato balls/patties filled with the same.
I eat egg whites, but don't care for regular eggs generally. I'm fine with a crustless quiche or frittata, except for the heating up in the morning and the having to cook it the night before or weekend before.

Seriously, yogurt has been my breakfast for ages because I keep plastic spoons in one of my desk drawers, I don't need to heat it up, package it up, etc. I just grab it from the fridge at home, bring it in to work, and eat while I'm reading emails first thing in the morning.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have found that the Costco Kirkland Signature vanilla almond milk is not half bad.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have found that the Costco Kirkland Signature vanilla almond milk is not half bad.
Mrs BamaVol brought home a half gallon of unsweetened Silk vanilla flavored almond milk and I did not care for it one bit. Its sole purpose is in iced coffee which I prefer without the vanilla flavoring. My fault: I specified unsweetened and almond and this met both criteria.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
That has the potential to kill me, as almonds are my most severe allergy.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Mrs BamaVol brought home a half gallon of unsweetened Silk vanilla flavored almond milk and I did not care for it one bit. Its sole purpose is in iced coffee which I prefer without the vanilla flavoring. My fault: I specified unsweetened and almond and this met both criteria.
LOL, you must be specific.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:53 am

Agreed! I have a sensitivity to cheese and eggs and honestly it is so hard to find anything to eat that I enjoy that don't include either of these products!! I feel you
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The thread title should have been, “No Dairy, No Gluten, No Fun”!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Desperate30
Agreed! I have a sensitivity to cheese and eggs and honestly it is so hard to find anything to eat that I enjoy that don't include either of these products!! I feel you
Sorry you can't eat them either.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The thread title should have been, “No Dairy, No Gluten, No Fun”!
This is true.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by kipper
Sorry you can't eat them either.
I don't think that's accurate since this newbie also likes:

I like pancakes, bacon and eggs..sunny side up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.