No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
No, breakfast to me is a traditional breakfast. We have no room in either freezer.
I'm celiac, my kid is celiac with multiple food allergies. We learned that in order to meet a our dietary requirements in way that was sane and practical, some compromises had to be made. I honestly don't see a way to accommodate both your needs - no nuts, no dairy and no gluten - and your preferences. I wish you the best of luck in finding something both safe and palatable that meets your preferences.
wrp96 and Segments like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I'm celiac, my kid is celiac with multiple food allergies. We learned that in order to meet a our dietary requirements in way that was sane and practical, some compromises had to be made. I honestly don't see a way to accommodate both your needs - no nuts, no dairy and no gluten - and your preferences. I wish you the best of luck in finding something both safe and palatable that meets your preferences.
There are breakfasts out there that would accomplish it, like the oats with applesauce. My normal weekend breakfast can accomplish it easily, just avoiding the toast. It's the weekday that is challenging. As I told the less than helpful dietitian, if these sensitivities were such that I didn't even know about them until recently, they aren't affecting me that much. As such, I'm loathe to totally rearrange my life based on things that aren't affecting me.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Super convenient. Tastes good. Probably not as good for you as the real thing but easier to store and keeps longer. 100 calories.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Super convenient. Tastes good. Probably not as good for you as the real thing but easier to store and keeps longer. 100 calories.
Expensive, but looks like a good snack for me! Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I tried Oatly oat milk last night. It's not horrible. It definitely tastes like "cereal milk," almost as if it has been soaked in Cheerios for a while. It's at least a good option for cereal with milk.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

This is why eating breakfast at home is not a good option for me. I ate breakfast around 7:30 AM today, and by 11 AM, I was hungry again. I always try to push lunch to at least 12:30 PM, and it's definitely going to be a struggle to do that today.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
This is why eating breakfast at home is not a good option for me. I ate breakfast around 7:30 AM today, and by 11 AM, I was hungry again. I always try to push lunch to at least 12:30 PM, and it's definitely going to be a struggle to do that today.
How are you with soy protein? As a quick breakfast or meal substitute I use Soylent (soy-based meal replacement drink) fairly often (i.e., a few times per week). The premade bottled version is very convenient, is OK-tasting (not great, but OK), and a 14-oz, 400-calorie bottle can hold me for a few hours. It even comes in caffeinated versions to help you wake up (especially if you are about to get behind the wheel of a car and want to drive safely).

I buy it from Amazon (cartons of 12 bottles with discounted Subscribe & Save), but it is also available directly from the manufacturer (soylent.com) and is widely available in individual bottles from convenience stores (many 7-Eleven and others) as well as some supermarkets.

I also see that soylent.com has a limited-time offer (through Monday, Sep. 10, 2018 only) for a variety pack of four bottles for only $10 (a very good price), shipping included. https://soylent.com/products/variety-four-pack
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:55 am

I don't remember if you mentioned upthread whether you can eat discreetly at work. I used to get up at 5:30 am and be at work by 7:00 am so I would take my breakfast with me to work and have it at my desk between 7:00 - 8:00 am, then eat lunch at noon. Since I packed a lunch the night before, it was simple to pack breakfast as well. Although I might also make a boiled egg while getting ready for work in the morning (in a small electric egg cooker), wrap it in foil, and eat it still warm when I arrived.

If I felt hungry mid-morning, I would have a small bite of something. It didn't have to be much to stave off hunger until lunch. For me it might have been a couple of nuts (which I realize are off limits for you), or a small bite of fruit (an apricot, two dates, small clementine), or cucumber slices, or one of the multitude of bars available today (paleo bar, protein bar, granola, etc.). Anything quick and simple that can be grabbed by hand and eaten discretely will work.

You can find bars today that cater to any allergy. I just googled "gluten free, dairy free, nut free bars" and came up with a huge variety to try - so it would just be trial and error until you find some that you like and fit your budget. If it's for a between-meal snack and not as a meal, I find that a bite or two is enough so it's not that expensive if you aren't eating a whole bar each time. It's surprising how one or two bites of some of those bars will satisfy hunger for a couple extra hours until your next meal since they can be very concentrated with protein, fruits, oats and seeds.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
How are you with soy protein? As a quick breakfast or meal substitute I use Soylent (soy-based meal replacement drink) fairly often (i.e., a few times per week). The premade bottled version is very convenient, is OK-tasting (not great, but OK), and a 14-oz, 400-calorie bottle can hold me for a few hours. It even comes in caffeinated versions to help you wake up (especially if you are about to get behind the wheel of a car and want to drive safely).

I buy it from Amazon (cartons of 12 bottles with discounted Subscribe & Save), but it is also available directly from the manufacturer (soylent.com) and is widely available in individual bottles from convenience stores (many 7-Eleven and others) as well as some supermarkets.

I also see that soylent.com has a limited-time offer (through Monday, Sep. 10, 2018 only) for a variety pack of four bottles for only $10 (a very good price), shipping included. https://soylent.com/products/variety-four-pack
Soy is hit or miss as a lot won't promise no cross-contamination. That said, I think soylent is out for me. Just the name...
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I don't remember if you mentioned upthread whether you can eat discreetly at work. I used to get up at 5:30 am and be at work by 7:00 am so I would take my breakfast with me to work and have it at my desk between 7:00 - 8:00 am, then eat lunch at noon. Since I packed a lunch the night before, it was simple to pack breakfast as well. Although I might also make a boiled egg while getting ready for work in the morning (in a small electric egg cooker), wrap it in foil, and eat it still warm when I arrived.

If I felt hungry mid-morning, I would have a small bite of something. It didn't have to be much to stave off hunger until lunch. For me it might have been a couple of nuts (which I realize are off limits for you), or a small bite of fruit (an apricot, two dates, small clementine), or cucumber slices, or one of the multitude of bars available today (paleo bar, protein bar, granola, etc.). Anything quick and simple that can be grabbed by hand and eaten discretely will work.

You can find bars today that cater to any allergy. I just googled "gluten free, dairy free, nut free bars" and came up with a huge variety to try - so it would just be trial and error until you find some that you like and fit your budget. If it's for a between-meal snack and not as a meal, I find that a bite or two is enough so it's not that expensive if you aren't eating a whole bar each time. It's surprising how one or two bites of some of those bars will satisfy hunger for a couple extra hours until your next meal since they can be very concentrated with protein, fruits, oats and seeds.
I can eat at work, so I've started keeping containers of applesauce at my desk for when I'm hungry but can't or don't want to take lunch. I've found that various bars may be a decent snack, but they don't satisfy me for any length of time. I'll eat one and in 30 minutes, be scavenging for something else to eat.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Hard to see how applesauce could be a satisfying snack for any length of time either. As far as macronutrients go, it's primarily carbs -- little or nothing in the way of protein or fat. (Maybe the water and fiber content helps, but still...)

Another possibility for snacks is graze -- the company has a current offer through mypoints of a box of four snacks for just $1, and you earn 600 mypoints. You can specify foods that you don't like/can't eat to narrow down the selection. The portions are tiny (mostly 150 calories or less), but maybe that's all you need. My main problem with them is that they're expensive for the quantity that you get, but the almost-free trial (plus mypoints) offer is certainly no-risk. Don't like the samples -- just cancel your subscription.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Sep 10, 2018 at 2:20 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Hard to see how applesauce could be a satisfying snack for any length of time either. As far as macronutrients go, it's primarily carbs -- little or nothing in the way of protein or fat. (Maybe the water and fiber content helps, but still...)

Another possibility for snacks is graze -- the company has a current offer through mypoints of a box of four snacks for just $1, and you earn 600 mypoints. You can specify foods that you don't like/can't eat to narrow down the selection. The portions are tiny (mostly 150 calories or less), but maybe that's all you need. My main problem with them is that they're expensive for the quantity that you get, but the almost-free trial (plus mypoints) offer is certainly no-risk. Don't like the samples -- just cancel your subscription.
I don't know why, but the applesauce seems to satisfy me longer than a snack bar.

Graze says, "Because all of our food is packed in the same area it may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, milk, soybeans (soya), and egg, as well as sesame and sulfites and therefore is not suitable for those with allergies."
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried Oatly oat milk last night. It's not horrible. It definitely tastes like "cereal milk," almost as if it has been soaked in Cheerios for a while. It's at least a good option for cereal with milk.
I just finished a container of Forager Project cashew-milk yogurt. It was cherry flavored. Or rather it was cashew/cherry flavored. Also contained coconut but none in evidence in the taste. No mention on the package of cross contamination with anything else you might object to; also contains sugar, tapioca, various fruit extracts and friendly bacteria. This is not a five star recommendation but you might want to look out for it.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I just finished a container of Forager Project cashew-milk yogurt. It was cherry flavored. Or rather it was cashew/cherry flavored. Also contained coconut but none in evidence in the taste. No mention on the package of cross contamination with anything else you might object to; also contains sugar, tapioca, various fruit extracts and friendly bacteria. This is not a five star recommendation but you might want to look out for it.
I'm allergic to cashews.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm allergic to cashews.
Oh yeah. Just as well. I wasn't a fan of the stuff.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Oh yeah. Just as well. I wasn't a fan of the stuff.
Pesky nut allergy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.