Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by lin821
I don't think that's accurate since this newbie also likes:
Good catch!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL
Because of a long commute, I also don't eat breakfast until I get to work and then prefer no dishes or microwaved foods. I'm avoiding dairy and eggs, and don't like a lot of (too) sweet options. I used to soak oats in plain yogurt overnight and add some fruit (frozen or fresh) in the morning. When I went dairy free, I replaced the yogurt with unsweetened apple sauce, it works for me (and the little tubber I use stays clean enough to just rinse before the next use). I wish the airlines would have a meat option that's gluten, dairy and egg free!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by altabello
Because of a long commute, I also don't eat breakfast until I get to work and then prefer no dishes or microwaved foods. I'm avoiding dairy and eggs, and don't like a lot of (too) sweet options. I used to soak oats in plain yogurt overnight and add some fruit (frozen or fresh) in the morning. When I went dairy free, I replaced the yogurt with unsweetened apple sauce, it works for me (and the little tubber I use stays clean enough to just rinse before the next use). I wish the airlines would have a meat option that's gluten, dairy and egg free!
How much applesauce to a cup of oats?
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by kipper
How much applesauce to a cup of oats?
I use about a cup of AS for 1/2 cup oats, maybe a bit less on the oats as I like the thicker, steel cut variety, so ~2:1. I also take crispy bacon in a zip lock baggy if I'm on the road and unsure about breakfast options offered (like on the plane), or as a to-go breakfast to be had on the way to the trailhead. I was overwhelmed at first with the no dairy/no eggs/mostly no gluten restriction, but found what things I like (and what I hated, like the soy yogurt that tastes like paper mache) over a couple of months. Good luck to you!
Jaimito Cartero and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by altabello
I use about a cup of AS for 1/2 cup oats, maybe a bit less on the oats as I like the thicker, steel cut variety, so ~2:1. I also take crispy bacon in a zip lock baggy if I'm on the road and unsure about breakfast options offered (like on the plane), or as a to-go breakfast to be had on the way to the trailhead. I was overwhelmed at first with the no dairy/no eggs/mostly no gluten restriction, but found what things I like (and what I hated, like the soy yogurt that tastes like paper mache) over a couple of months. Good luck to you!
Thanks. I'm going to try the oats. I definitely hate soy yogurt!
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Delta
Kipper
Have you heard about the new Ripple non-dairy milk https://www.ripplefoods.com/original-plant-milk/ ?

It's thick and creamy (unlike other nondairy ones), the 48 oz chocolate version has been known to be guzzled down in one sitting, and there's really no weird aftertaste or smell. Plus if you're in the US, its available at most Target stores plus larger grocers with a bigger "natural/organic" selection.

They just started rolling out thick Greek style yogurt as well https://www.ripplefoods.com/greek-yogurt/ .

Not yet available in my area, but reviews are that its thicker than Daiya and Stoneyfield's. And I agree ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ with your assessment of Good Karma. Not quite sure what drugs the taste-testers were on
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
Kipper
Have you heard about the new Ripple non-dairy milk https://www.ripplefoods.com/original-plant-milk/ ?

It's thick and creamy (unlike other nondairy ones), the 48 oz chocolate version has been known to be guzzled down in one sitting, and there's really no weird aftertaste or smell. Plus if you're in the US, its available at most Target stores plus larger grocers with a bigger "natural/organic" selection.

They just started rolling out thick Greek style yogurt as well https://www.ripplefoods.com/greek-yogurt/ .

Not yet available in my area, but reviews are that its thicker than Daiya and Stoneyfield's. And I agree ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ with your assessment of Good Karma. Not quite sure what drugs the taste-testers were on
I did not. I have oatmilk in the fridge to try, but I'll try that next. I'll also see if I can find the yogurt because that would be ideal if it actually tasted like yogurt.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

The meeting with the dietitian was a waste of time and money. She suggested Ripple and gave me information on how to manage my nut and tree nut allergy. Um, I think I have that one under control! I probably offended her when she asked, "Do you feel like this appointment was good?" and I replied by telling her I thought I wasted the money I was going to spend for my co-insurance.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Have you tried the DoughBar's Crispy Protein Bars? Similiar to a rice crispy treat and very good. Advertised as No Dairy, No Gluten, No Soy, Vegan, Non-GMO. Ingredient list doesn't appear at include nuts.

https://www.doughbardoughnuts.com/pages/the-crispy-bar
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Spotted this at a local store but haven't tried it yet.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
Have you tried the DoughBar's Crispy Protein Bars? Similiar to a rice crispy treat and very good. Advertised as No Dairy, No Gluten, No Soy, Vegan, Non-GMO. Ingredient list doesn't appear at include nuts.

https://www.doughbardoughnuts.com/pages/the-crispy-bar
Cross contamination though.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Spotted this at a local store but haven't tried it yet.
Don't waste your time. That was the first one I tried.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper

Don't waste your time. That was the first one I tried.
I'm not sure where cashews stand with you. I know they're tree nuts, but somewhat different in that they don't have a shell. Likewise, I haven't tried this one yet.

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:36 am

Minus the nuts i have the same two sensitivities. I have meds for the dairy issue and gluten wise I seek for options that I can eat. I have a so so list of things that makes me sick. I am a sucker for trying things but always have to ask what’s in it or take a chance. It’s hard when you go to places that have lots of nuts in their food. I think research is needed and simply to ask. Also to have meds just in case.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm not sure where cashews stand with you. I know they're tree nuts, but somewhat different in that they don't have a shell. Likewise, I haven't tried this one yet.
Cashews are a no for me.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:59 am

For breakfast, how about some chilled steamed asparagus spears wrapped in smoked salmon? You can prepare the night before and take with you to work. Steam the asparagus in the microwave (have some for dinner), then when wrapping up the leftovers after dinner, wrap some in a slice or two of smoked salmon and keep in the fridge until morning. Take along to work.

Make some tuna salad with chopped onions, chopped celery, dijon mustard, dill, capers, salt & pepper and divide it into individual serving plastic containers.

I always prepared my breakfast and lunch that I carried with me to work the night before while I was cleaning up the kitchen from dinner.

For breakfast at home on the weekend - smash a ripe banana and mix with two eggs (blend with a fork until well-mixed), then cook like you would pancakes. No flour / grains and tastes wonderful like a banana pancake. Before serving top with fresh blueberries and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can also make the "pancakes" with banana, eggs and oatmeal but then need to blend in a blender or food processor.

Smash a ripe banana and add around a cup of uncooked oatmeal, blend so you can form into balls to make cookies. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven (I can't remember how long, but I think around 15 minutes at 350F or so). Fast, easy two-ingredient cookies for snacks that are gluten, dairy and nut free. You can also add raisins, cinnamon or other desired ingredients. Takes no time to whip up a batch that you'll have for many days.
BamaVol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.