Reload this Page >

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:03 am

Over here there are some very good options to substitute milk with. I'm lactose intolerant so I have tried most of them for the days I don't want to swallow lactase pills or do the math in how many I need to take or when I eat with a friend who is completely dairy free due to her also reacting to milk protein.
They aren't all made equal and a lot of the time you have to adjust for them tasting like slightly sweetened milk. I'm not sure about the choices in your local grocery store as I live in Europe.
Over here it's almond milk which doesn't work for you and oat milk which I'd check due to possible gluten contamination and soy milk, rice milk ainotoconut milk.
In recent years they've started selling smaller containers of those for cooking that are unsweetened which helps when I want to do food that doesn't go well with that.
I'd go for it and (after reading labels) try using them. Personally I think they make a pretty good lactose free yogurt but most dairy free yogurts shouldn't even be called nogurt because they might look like yogurt but the texture and taste of real yogurt relies on the chemical process of milk to yogurt that none dairy products still can't reproduce.

I've had much better luck with the milk substitutes though I rarely use them pure (the fact that my body reacts to lactose always made me hate the taste of pure milk. I can do a sip to check if it tastes close enough to substitute in what I want to do or add cocoa though)

It'll take some time of trial and error before you know what products work for you but don't give up after one fake yogurt.
A friend had a pack of bread mix for home baking at their place and it's gluten free dairy free and nut free (mix of corn and rice flour)

I agree you'll probably have to add more fish and meat to your diet to combat the loss of protein sources but you won't have to live off only that. I'd also get a baking automat where you only need to add the ingredients and baking mix and it'll do the kneading and baking for you. We used to have one and it was fast and convenient.

It'll take time; I remember when my friend got the misdiagnosis a good decade and a half ago when gluten and dairy free wasn't as easily available as it is now but a few months into it we even managed to figure out food for a camping trip. It'll take you ages of reading labels and probably wandering big grocery stores getting familiar with the labels pm familiar products and the while range of gluten free and vegan products but you'll get there! The transition will get to the point where it isn't that hard anymore.
I agree if you can visit a nutritionists who specializes in taking care of these kind of cases it should help you figure out how to do a balanced diet on the new restrictions a lot faster and easier.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by linnet
Over here there are some very good options to substitute milk with. I'm lactose intolerant so I have tried most of them for the days I don't want to swallow lactase pills or do the math in how many I need to take or when I eat with a friend who is completely dairy free due to her also reacting to milk protein.
They aren't all made equal and a lot of the time you have to adjust for them tasting like slightly sweetened milk. I'm not sure about the choices in your local grocery store as I live in Europe.
Over here it's almond milk which doesn't work for you and oat milk which I'd check due to possible gluten contamination and soy milk, rice milk ainotoconut milk.
In recent years they've started selling smaller containers of those for cooking that are unsweetened which helps when I want to do food that doesn't go well with that.
I'd go for it and (after reading labels) try using them. Personally I think they make a pretty good lactose free yogurt but most dairy free yogurts shouldn't even be called nogurt because they might look like yogurt but the texture and taste of real yogurt relies on the chemical process of milk to yogurt that none dairy products still can't reproduce.

I've had much better luck with the milk substitutes though I rarely use them pure (the fact that my body reacts to lactose always made me hate the taste of pure milk. I can do a sip to check if it tastes close enough to substitute in what I want to do or add cocoa though)

It'll take some time of trial and error before you know what products work for you but don't give up after one fake yogurt.
A friend had a pack of bread mix for home baking at their place and it's gluten free dairy free and nut free (mix of corn and rice flour)

I agree you'll probably have to add more fish and meat to your diet to combat the loss of protein sources but you won't have to live off only that. I'd also get a baking automat where you only need to add the ingredients and baking mix and it'll do the kneading and baking for you. We used to have one and it was fast and convenient.

It'll take time; I remember when my friend got the misdiagnosis a good decade and a half ago when gluten and dairy free wasn't as easily available as it is now but a few months into it we even managed to figure out food for a camping trip. It'll take you ages of reading labels and probably wandering big grocery stores getting familiar with the labels pm familiar products and the while range of gluten free and vegan products but you'll get there! The transition will get to the point where it isn't that hard anymore.
I agree if you can visit a nutritionists who specializes in taking care of these kind of cases it should help you figure out how to do a balanced diet on the new restrictions a lot faster and easier.
Thanks. I have an appointment with the nutritionist scheduled for early next month.

For now, I'm focusing on trying to avoid dairy, although it's not working for breakfasts. I'll worry about gluten a bit later.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Today's fauxgurt taste test

In today's fauxgurt experience, I tried daiya, which they claim is, "deliciously dairy-free". It is dairy- and gluten-free.

I believe a coworker's comment sums it up quite nicely, after she heard it hit the bottom of the trash can.

"I hear that one's a thumbs down"

It was like eating an unhusked coconut that had been rolled in strawberry seeds.

Strike 2 for fauxgurt. Let's hope the Stonyfield fauxgurt that I"ll try tomorrow is better.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No dairy + no gluten + no nuts + picky eater -- sounds like a great way to lose weight.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
In today's fauxgurt experience, I tried daiya, which they claim is, "deliciously dairy-free". It is dairy- and gluten-free.

I believe a coworker's comment sums it up quite nicely, after she heard it hit the bottom of the trash can.

"I hear that one's a thumbs down"

It was like eating an unhusked coconut that had been rolled in strawberry seeds.

Strike 2 for fauxgurt. Let's hope the Stonyfield fauxgurt that I"ll try tomorrow is better.
Daiya always ends up my last choice for false dairy. Generally it’s because it doesn’t taste like anything at all. Plus their cheese wouldn’t melt in a blast furnace.

And whatever you do, stay away from the nondairy sour cream and cream cheese. Absolutely putrid.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
No dairy + no gluten + no nuts + picky eater -- sounds like a great way to lose weight.
Sounds like a great way for me to be cranky.
Originally Posted by BamaVol

Daiya always ends up my last choice for false dairy. Generally it’s because it doesn’t taste like anything at all. Plus their cheese wouldn’t melt in a blast furnace.

And whatever you do, stay away from the nondairy sour cream and cream cheese. Absolutely putrid.
Now you tell me...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
I have celiac disease and Mc Donald's fries and hash browns are definitely not gluten-free in the U.S. There is both wheat and dairy in the "natural" flavoring.

Last edited by MichaelJFK; Jun 20, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
I did Whole30 which is an elimination "diet" and now I choose to eat gluten-free and dairy free. I have now been eating this way for the last 2 years now. It's pretty much paleo.

I was in the same boat I actually used to eat yogurt almost every day for breakfast and with whole30 I stopped. I've never felt better my whole life after cutting it out.
You said you want fast? How fast is fast? You can def make breakfast sausages in the morning but seems like that takes too much time. So I'd prob cook the whole package in one go night before and just heat them up in the morning, same with bacon. Or you premake smoothies the night before, grab and go. If you look up whole30 breakfast recipes I'm sure you'll find a fast one you can make on top of lunch and dinner recipes.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PandaSoPink
I did Whole30 which is an elimination "diet" and now I choose to eat gluten-free and dairy free. I have now been eating this way for the last 2 years now. It's pretty much paleo.

I was in the same boat I actually used to eat yogurt almost every day for breakfast and with whole30 I stopped. I've never felt better my whole life after cutting it out.
You said you want fast? How fast is fast? You can def make breakfast sausages in the morning but seems like that takes too much time. So I'd prob cook the whole package in one go night before and just heat them up in the morning, same with bacon. Or you premake smoothies the night before, grab and go. If you look up whole30 breakfast recipes I'm sure you'll find a fast one you can make on top of lunch and dinner recipes.
Fast as in grab from the fridge, take to work and eat. No heating, no toasting, no mixing, no anything. If it requires work to prepare at work, I'll get distracted and won't eat it. If I don't eat breakfast, I get cranky, and that's a bad thing.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fast as in grab from the fridge, take to work and eat. No heating, no toasting, no mixing, no anything. If it requires work to prepare at work, I'll get distracted and won't eat it. If I don't eat breakfast, I get cranky, and that's a bad thing.
I think you need to retrain yourself. Finding something that fits your requirements and eating it every day sounds like a long shot. Like the previous poster, I will cook a whole package of sausage the first time refrigerate leftovers and eat for several days with a few seconds in the microwave or a minute in the pan.

All this talk of breakfast is making me hungry.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:29 am
Original Poster

I think you need to retrain yourself. Finding something that fits your requirements and eating it every day sounds like a long shot. Like the previous poster, I will cook a whole package of sausage the first time refrigerate leftovers and eat for several days with a few seconds in the microwave or a minute in the pan.

All this talk of breakfast is making me hungry.
I get easily distracted with work once I'm at work, so it's either something I can grab and take with me without reheating, cooking each morning, or saying I'll be miserable if I go to no dairy and no gluten, so I'll just reduce it the best I can. As far as why I eat at work, if I eat at home, I'm hungry before lunch.

There are days where I get so involved in work immediately that I don't eat my yogurt until 10 or 10:30.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No dairy + no gluten + no nuts + picky eater + fussy -- the pounds are disappearing with every new post.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get easily distracted with work once I'm at work, so it's either something I can grab and take with me without reheating, cooking each morning, or saying I'll be miserable if I go to no dairy and no gluten, so I'll just reduce it the best I can. As far as why I eat at work, if I eat at home, I'm hungry before lunch.

There are days where I get so involved in work immediately that I don't eat my yogurt until 10 or 10:30.
The entrepreneur in me sees a line of refrigerated products labeled “Ms. Fussy’s Convenience Foods”.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
No dairy + no gluten + no nuts + picky eater + fussy -- the pounds are disappearing with every new post.
I'm not fussy, I'm just particular.

The entrepreneur in me sees a line of refrigerated products labeled “Ms. Fussy’s Convenience Foods”.
I'd so buy it if it was gluten, nut, and dairy free!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:45 pm

Location: Bellevue, WA, USA (and sometimes Melbourne, VIC, Australia)
Programs: UA, AS, Starwood, Marriott
Bananas are easy and very transportable. Dried fruit. Hummus and papadum chips.

Papadum chips are extremely easy to prepare:
  1. Take disk out package
  2. Place in microwave
  3. Cook on high until expanded and crispy (20-90 seconds,depending on microwave)
  4. Break into preferred size for dipping.
If your microwave turntable is clean, there isn't even a dish to clean

https://www.thespruceeats.com/safe-a...flours-1451156 is a guide to GF flours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.