Reload this Page >

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
OMG. Made this and it is definately good. I have been eating this almost nonstop all day. Thanks for the link. ^
Yeah, unfortunately, that is one of the downsides of it. It is too good. I put pumpkin seeds in it as well.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
OMG. Made this and it is definately good. I have been eating this almost nonstop all day. Thanks for the link. ^
Anything from Oh She Glows is a winner. It is my absolute favorite cookbook. All vegan and a lot of gluten free. Vegan Recipes ? Oh She Glows

Two of my faves, both of which are great for lunches: Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce ? Oh She Glows
Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze ? Oh She Glows

Kipper, these breakfast cookies are also vegan and gluten free. Would be perfect for a take-along breakfast:
Irresistible Chewy Trail Mix Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-free) ? Oh She Glows
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by linnet
Over here the most common substitutes for flour in gluten free bread used to be corn flour or potato flour sometimes in combination with rice flour. Both should be fine for you. Milk in baking can often be substituted by water or 5 to 1 water and canola oil if the fat in milk is needed for the recipe. If you can't do almond milk there is soy and coconut and rice milk. Soy milk products are usually completely dairy free but it pays to read the ingredients especially as the most absurd products sometimes contain gluten. Like my favorite Ketchup.
If protein is an issue there are dairy free protein powders and shakes on soy and pea protein basis. Not sure if they are gluten free though
Gluten free bread can taste horrible but you can bake your own. We used to eat the most delicious gluten free corn flower white Bread

I'm not sure if it works but I would check what vegan recipes use as substitutes to your favorite dairy products and check if you can use those in recipes.

My knowledge is a few years out of date as my best friend had been erroneously diagnosed with a gluten, dairy and egg allergy. Plus a peanut allergy and she used to be vegetarian until then
So when we went on a long camping trip in a different country it was quite an education
Unfortunately, a lot of vegan recipes call for almonds or almond butter. I have a mental block on eating sun butter, as it takes a lot like peanut butter, and my reaction to tasting peanut butter is to vomit.
Originally Posted by Finkface
Anything from Oh She Glows is a winner. It is my absolute favorite cookbook. All vegan and a lot of gluten free. Vegan Recipes ? Oh She Glows

Two of my faves, both of which are great for lunches: Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce ? Oh She Glows
Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze ? Oh She Glows

Kipper, these breakfast cookies are also vegan and gluten free. Would be perfect for a take-along breakfast:
Irresistible Chewy Trail Mix Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-free) ? Oh She Glows
Unfortunately, they use almonds and almond butter and almond flour. I think that's the problem with a lot of vegan recipes. They rely on nuts, which can kill me.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

We stopped at Wegmans tonight, and I found oatmilk that I'm going to try, along with three different nogurts as Mr. Kipper is calling them. They had others, but the problem with So Delicious and Silk is cross-contamination. Unfortunately, those are the two that I think are readily available at our local grocery store.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
On tortillas, you have to be very careful. There are many corn tortillas which are gluten free but the majority of tortillas contain flour and are therefore off the menu. In particular, nearly all soft tortillas contain gluten.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
On tortillas, you have to be very careful. There are many corn tortillas which are gluten free but the majority of tortillas contain flour and are therefore off the menu. In particular, nearly all soft tortillas contain gluten.
I didn't think about that, as I figured corn tortillas would be fine.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:54 pm

My son is experiencing numerous food allergies, gluten and dairy being 2 of many. Coconut milk is a great option and actually doesn't taste like dirt. Also, many things that contain egg have dairy as well, so be observant of ingredients on premade microwave foods or fast foods. Ezekiel makes a great line of dairy and gluten free bakery products and vans brand has good frozen options as well.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I didn't think about that, as I figured corn tortillas would be fine.
There's no substitute for reading the list of ingredients. Whilst labelling law in the US is fairly lax - there's no need to highlight allergens - it will at least show you what's in the food. And, if we are talking the USA here, it will also serve to remind you why you should rarely buy packaged food as it seems that the majority of the ingredients are unpronounceable mystery chemicals.

The real problems come when you eat out. There's no requirement in the US for restaurants or food outlets to advise of allergens or to receive proper training in the area. Whereas in the UK all restaurants will have a full allergen listing by law, and nearly all restaurants will have menus showing what you can and can't eat, and all waiting staff are required to be trained in this area, none of that applies in the US, where I end up relying on what the waitstaff say, some of which appears to be made up since some don't even understand the question.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
There's no substitute for reading the list of ingredients. Whilst labelling law in the US is fairly lax - there's no need to highlight allergens - it will at least show you what's in the food. And, if we are talking the USA here, it will also serve to remind you why you should rarely buy packaged food as it seems that the majority of the ingredients are unpronounceable mystery chemicals.

The real problems come when you eat out. There's no requirement in the US for restaurants or food outlets to advise of allergens or to receive proper training in the area. Whereas in the UK all restaurants will have a full allergen listing by law, and nearly all restaurants will have menus showing what you can and can't eat, and all waiting staff are required to be trained in this area, none of that applies in the US, where I end up relying on what the waitstaff say, some of which appears to be made up since some don't even understand the question.
I'm guessing that some restaurants in the US classify butter as a milk allergen, as I've seen steaks listed as containing milk.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I tried Good Karma "nogurt" this morning. I ate one spoonful and my trash can didn't even enjoy the rest of the container. Good Karma is apparently good karma for weight loss. One bite and you lose your appetite.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I tried Good Karma "nogurt" this morning. I ate one spoonful and my trash can didn't even enjoy the rest of the container. Good Karma is apparently good karma for weight loss. One bite and you lose your appetite.
LOL. When I’m back on my feet, I’ll check the local Luckys which carries at least one brand of nogurt that I have found nowhere else. There’s also an extensive selection of “food bars” - for lack of a better term - some of which are entirely fruit.

I only worry about lactose, but when I’m on a Whole30 I’m avoiding alll grains as well. Being an early riser, I have no problem making breakfast at the stove and still being at work by 7:00. But I have a stash in my office for those days when life doesn’t work like that.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:51 pm

I also have no idea how I'll eat there, other than meat.
You are kidding right? There are so many wonderful vegan breakfasts - chia pudding, oatmeal, tofu scramble among so many other wonderful meals which do not use nuts, eggs, gluten or diary. Just sub rice milk or hemp milk instead of nut based milk
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol

LOL. When I’m back on my feet, I’ll check the local Luckys which carries at least one brand of nogurt that I have found nowhere else. There’s also an extensive selection of “food bars” - for lack of a better term - some of which are entirely fruit.

I only worry about lactose, but when I’m on a Whole30 I’m avoiding alll grains as well. Being an early riser, I have no problem making breakfast at the stove and still being at work by 7:00. But I have a stash in my office for those days when life doesn’t work like that.
Thanks. I'm not an early riser, really. Mr Kipper is awake at 5, and I'm awake with him, but I usually go back to bed until about 6:30.
Originally Posted by zoonil
You are kidding right? There are so many wonderful vegan breakfasts - chia pudding, oatmeal, tofu scramble among so many other wonderful meals which do not use nuts, eggs, gluten or diary. Just sub rice milk or hemp milk instead of nut based milk
No, I'm not kidding. I don't like a ton of vegetables (tomatoes actually make me nauseous), and if the substitute milks are anything like the Good Karma yogurt (made with flaxmilk), milk is out. Also, tofu is a no in our house. It will not enter the house. I wouldn't feed that fake food to a rabid raccoon, let alone eat it myself.

I can eat eggs, but not nuts, gluten, and dairy. I just don't want to cook eggs every day, in part because that will get boring after a bit. The other reason is that I don't want to cook every morning for breakfast, then cook for dinner too.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:05 am

https://minimalistbaker.com

The recipes are tagged so you can easily see what is nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free (vegan). Although many do have nuts.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
https://minimalistbaker.com

The recipes are tagged so you can easily see what is nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free (vegan). Although many do have nuts.
Thanks. The nut allergy is the biggest problem to avoiding dairy and gluten.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.