Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

No Dairy, No Gluten, No Food?

Old Jun 15, 18, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Another option is egg muffins. You can google recipes for those. Most include milk and cheese but I haven’t had a problem doing without the cheese and substituting almond milk. You make a batch on the weekend and then again just heat one or two up on the weekday morning depending on your appetite.
almond milk won't work for me because of allergies.
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
At work we can buy lots of dairy and gluten free products. You won't starve.
I'm not worried about starving. I'm worried about finding things that aren't going to add a ton of inconvenience to my life.
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
almond milk won't work for me because of allergies.
Ah forgot about that. You may be able to google and find egg muffin recipes that don't use dairy or almond milk.
Old Jun 15, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
First off, you won't be able to have the McDonalds hash browns as they are cross-contaminated in the fryer with items which are breaded.

Second, you could easily substitute milk based yoghurts with coconut based ones, which are now commonly available.

Third, GF bread is now commonplace. Simply GF bread toasted with jam or honey will do.

I've been GF for some years now and I've learnt that I have to bring GF bread with me when I travel. The only problem country is the USA where you technically cannot bring bread into it - and the GF bread there is the worst I've come across. But other countries are much easier, particularly in the EU where Schar products are available pretty well everywhere.
Old Jun 15, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
First off, you won't be able to have the McDonalds hash browns as they are cross-contaminated in the fryer with items which are breaded.

Second, you could easily substitute milk based yoghurts with coconut based ones, which are now commonly available.

Third, GF bread is now commonplace. Simply GF bread toasted with jam or honey will do.

I've been GF for some years now and I've learnt that I have to bring GF bread with me when I travel. The only problem country is the USA where you technically cannot bring bread into it - and the GF bread there is the worst I've come across. But other countries are much easier, particularly in the EU where Schar products are available pretty well everywhere.
Gluten-free bread is sometimes a challenge because of the use of nut flours.
Old Jun 15, 18, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

I'm scheduling an appointment with a dietitian, as with my allergies that can kill me, and now these sensitivities, I think eating a "balanced" diet may be challenging.
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Having mostly given up (really cut way back on) bread and similar products, sugar, and most dairy products many years ago, I think the reality is that your life will be a little inconvenienced. Certain things, like sandwiches, are a huge convenience, especially when you're on the go. I especially find it really difficult to find satisfying meals in airports that meet my criteria.

I'm no expert on gluten or food allergies by any means, as my diet is by choice, not of necessity, so it doesn't bother me if I miss reading an ingredient. But I wonder if there are certain types of tortillas that would be gluten and nut free? A breakfast burrito with egg and a few vegetables shouldn't only take a couple minutes to make. When I'm at home, a quick scramble of eggs and veg is my go-to...takes less than 10 minutes and I'm back to work.
Old Jun 15, 18, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
For breakfast, on Sundays I make a veggie &sausage hash - zucchini, butternut squash, peppers, sautéed in olive oil. Whatever appeals to me at the grocery store. I then divide it up between 5 plastic containers. In the morning I grease a coffee mug, and put a pinch of salt in the bottom. Crack an egg into it, and cover with plastic wrap with a small gap at side. I then microwave 45-50 seconds depending on the microwave. Heat up one of the veggie containers, put the egg on top and breakfast is done.
That has some possibility, other than having to wash the coffee mug each morning. Seriously, I hate leaving dishes in the sink in the morning.
Maybe line the coffee mug with a paper muffin liner first?
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Apparently, I have a sensitivity to both gluten and dairy. My PCP recommended I avoid both. I'm so confused about what I can eat other than meats, veggies, and fruit, because, in addition to this, I'm allergic to all nuts. I'd normally eat yogurt for breakfast, because it's quick, I can grab it from the fridge, take it to work, and eat at my desk. Now, I know I need a different breakfast, but I have no idea of what that can be, other than fruit (which doesn't give me protein). My requirements are that it must be extremely quick and easy, can be prepared or easily transported to work, and doesn't leave dishes in the morning. Adding to it, I hate things like hard-boiled eggs. Suggestions? Solutions?
As far as breakfast... What about dairy-free "soy milk" yogurt? (No idea if it tastes any good!) And sorry if this is a dumb question but is it a sensitivity just to cow milk based foods or all animal milk? There are a few goat milk yogurts which I have had, and are quite good.
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelCharlie View Post
Maybe line the coffee mug with a paper muffin liner first?
I like that idea!
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
As far as breakfast... What about dairy-free "soy milk" yogurt? (No idea if it tastes any good!) And sorry if this is a dumb question but is it a sensitivity just to cow milk based foods or all animal milk? There are a few goat milk yogurts which I have had, and are quite good.
The sensitivity is to casein so I don't know if it includes all animal milks.
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:56 pm

Over here the most common substitutes for flour in gluten free bread used to be corn flour or potato flour sometimes in combination with rice flour. Both should be fine for you. Milk in baking can often be substituted by water or 5 to 1 water and canola oil if the fat in milk is needed for the recipe. If you can't do almond milk there is soy and coconut and rice milk. Soy milk products are usually completely dairy free but it pays to read the ingredients especially as the most absurd products sometimes contain gluten. Like my favorite Ketchup.
If protein is an issue there are dairy free protein powders and shakes on soy and pea protein basis. Not sure if they are gluten free though
Gluten free bread can taste horrible but you can bake your own. We used to eat the most delicious gluten free corn flower white Bread

I'm not sure if it works but I would check what vegan recipes use as substitutes to your favorite dairy products and check if you can use those in recipes.

My knowledge is a few years out of date as my best friend had been erroneously diagnosed with a gluten, dairy and egg allergy. Plus a peanut allergy and she used to be vegetarian until then
So when we went on a long camping trip in a different country it was quite an education
Old Jun 15, 18, 6:11 pm
Original Member

Not to be obvious, but I see your FlyerTalk handle and I think kippers. Or sardines, or almost any premium tinned fish. It really can make a lovely breakfast.
Old Jun 15, 18, 9:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I like that idea!

The sensitivity is to casein so I don't know if it includes all animal milks.
Then it might depend if your sensitivity is more to A1 or A2 casein. Goat milk doesn't contain the former - likewise with certain less common breeds of cow. Hopefully your nutritionist can help you with specifics and figure out some good options. Good luck!
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Gluten-free bread is sometimes a challenge because of the use of nut flours.
While I am neither vegan nor gluten free, this is one of my all time favorite breads and it is both. I make it a lot - and I don’t cook so that tells you how easy it is. It is truly delicious and I don’t think there is anything in it that is on your can’t-have list. I like it with nut butter or pumpkin seed butter (could you have that?) or try it with mashed avocado (avocado toast).

https://choosingchia.com/whole-grain...at-chia-bread/
Old Jun 16, 18, 3:38 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
While I am neither vegan nor gluten free, this is one of my all time favorite breads and it is both. I make it a lot -
https://choosingchia.com/whole-grain...at-chia-bread/
OMG. Made this and it is definately good. I have been eating this almost nonstop all day. Thanks for the link.
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kipper, can I earnestly suggest that you look into getting a rice cooker. A decent one, best you can afford.

I’m married to a Japanese man and we wanted our kid to feel familiar and comfortable with Japanese food.
You can wash the rice the night before, leave it to soak in water overnight and switch it on (or have the timer switch itself on) in the morning.
Then just line a small bowl with some Saran Wrap/cling film, add a bit of salt, add some of the hot rice, a little filling (flaked kipper, mackerel, tuna, ground beef, chicken and scallion, egg, lots of options), a bit more rice, a little more salt then fold over the sarin wrap, squeeze the ball a little with your hands and, voila! An “onigiri” rice ball. If you’re OK with nori seewead then there’s the “onigirazu” which are even easier to prepare and more versatile (a ham, boiled egg/avocado and lettuce filling is feasible).
Means you have food for on the go which is quick and easy to prepare (really doesn’t take long to get the hang of it)

Sorry you are forced into having to look for alternatives, the circumstances that led me to adopt onigiri and onigirazu as family staples were much more pleasant. They’re a big hit with my daughter’s English and Spanish friends too. I take a group of kids to gymnastics sessions after school and they mostly request tuna mayo rice balls.

Search this Thread