Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Food you encountered traveling that stuck with you.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food you encountered traveling that stuck with you.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I learned to enjoy sushi in Tokyo. I'd tried it a few times in the US years earlier but the friends eager to introduce me to it had undiscerning palates (i.e., anything that ticked the box as "sushi" was devoured with fawning praise) so I wrote off the whole category as "meh" food at inflated prices. In Tokyo I figured "When in Rome..." and gave sushi another try. Worlds apart!

I've enjoyed Korean barbecue, especially bulgalbi, since my first of many trips to South Korea. I marinate and cook my own meats Korean-style at home now.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:38 pm

Hyderabad biryani is my favorite style which is cooked in a dum pot.. In India, the biryani varies by city and region.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Thinking back on it, barbecue may be the reason I came back to the south permanently. My first taste of it in the late 70’s was at a nondescript place in Gastonia. The memory lingered over quite a few years back in New England and I’ve tried pork from dozens of barbecue pits across the south after moving to Tennessee in 1989 and loved almost all of them.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Steak tartare. Had it for my first time in Paris in 2011 and now if I see it on a menu I order it. The best I've found so far was at a restaurant in Warsaw

I love steak tartar, but I find that the Polish version grinds the meat up too finely - really more like a paste. I prefer the small cubes of the French style.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Puerto Rico:
- Passion Fruit "Juice" (They seem to call any fruit drink a juice, even if it only contains 5-10% juice). I've tried making it here in the states by buying the fruit and mixing it with water and sugar, and it just isn't the same. There just isn't that tropical fruit flavor to it.
- Arroz Mamposteado. I tried looking up a recipe and after reading the ingredients list (a whole cart full of groceries) I'm going to leave it to the professionals.

UK: Lamb Rogan Josh. An Indian dish that I can never find here in the states.

Caribbean: Tropical Fruit. REAL tropical fruit. Pineapples that are orange on the outside, sweet like candy, and smell amazing from 5 ft away. Not the green and brown ones we have in grocery stores that are pale on the inside and are tart and eat away at your mouth.

Florida: Ripe Carambola (starfruit). Tree ripened starfruit are orange and taste sweet and amazing. Starfruit found almost anywhere else in the US are either green or yellow because they were picked before they ripened and never fully ripen after they're picked.

Latin American stores: Chicharrones. Real chicharrones. Also known as pork scratchings in the UK. No, not that stuff with the texture of styrofoam. Good pork rinds are the kind with the fat cap still attached but rendered out during the frying process. Addictive, and definitely worse for you than regular pork rinds.

SE Asia: Fresh seafood. We freeze almost all our seafood here in the US. Fresh is always better. The variety is better as well.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by diburning

UK: Lamb Rogan Josh. An Indian dish that I can never find here in the states.
Can't find it exactly the same way you had it in the UK, or can't find it at all?

It's one of my go-to dishes at Raj Darbar here in Chicago. $14.95 .
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Can't find it at all in my area. I think it might have to do with how it's a Kashmiri dish and how most Indian food in my area is Punjabi or Punjabi-style. The Indian restaurants in my area either cater to an American palate, or they're Pakistani/Halal places that serve Indian food. Fast Indian-style food also seems to be trending here. There's a place that I consider to be the "Indian Chipotle" and there's also a small chain of counter service Indian food that I would describe as the "Indian Panera" but without the bakery part. Both are "dumbed down" for an American palate, so the curries are very unidimensional.

Last edited by diburning; Jan 14, 2020 at 5:03 am
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:39 pm

Acorn Iberico Ham in Madrid
Klovasa in Prague
Goulash Soup in Sombately, Hungary
Bulgogi in Seoul
Raclette Cheese Sandwich at Boulevard Saint-Michelle in Paris
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Tzatziki.

And poutine. Delicious, artery clogging poutine...
corky and diburning like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I went to nuernberg for work for 15 years and always loved spaetzle (potato “pasta”) and red cabbage. Thankfully there are enough German restaurants in USA that can cook them quite nicely.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Caldo de Pescado Asuncion, Paraguay
Ceviche & Pilsen Manuel Antonio Beach, Costa Rica
Som Tam On a Junk Tour of Halong Bay
Chalupas Puebla, Mexico
Laksa Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Lou Malnati's Chicago, Illinois
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Svíčková and Chlebíčky in the Czech Republic.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The potato salad from the LH Sen lounge.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:04 am

Egg sandwich and black sesame ice cream in Japan

Egg tart and cheese cake in Taiwan

Chili crab and kaya toast in Singapore

Bun cha in Vietnam

Something fried that I don't know the name in Malaysia

Grilled meat and tom yum in Thailand
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Egg Bread from Seoul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.