Wiki Posts
Search

The most expensive (and crappiest) coffee/food you've encountered at airports

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
The most expensive (and crappiest) coffee/food you've encountered at airports

Nominate your most expensive coffee and/or food (snacks, not restaurant food) you've encountered at airports in terms of worst price/performance.

I think worst I've seen was at Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport about 15 years ago - once cup of coffee - $12. And it was undrinkable.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Gotta go with water at FRA. No water fountains, shallow sinks in the washroom prevent filling a bottle there and the absolute lowest price for a small bottle of water in any shop is 4.5 EUR (plus a recycling deposit which obviously you'll not be able to ever reclaim since you're leaving the country).

One thing I like about returning to my home airport of YVR is abundant, free, clean water.
Antonio8069 and cad-spe like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:16 pm

I bought a chicken cesar wrap thing from a restaurant/coffee place at sydney airport. it was so bland, chicken was dry and flaky, hardly any sauce tasted like nothing. and it cost me best part of 12AUD
Old May 20, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
At ZRH..........I was "Switzerlanded" as they say.

Coffee, croissant and an OJ........35 francs.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Dining Buzz Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz. Moderator
Old May 21, 2018, 10:17 am

I try to put the specifics out of mind ("was the inedible sandwich US$25 or $35?" "did I really pay $15 for a packaged granola bar?"), but I've had some bad experiences in what I'll call secondary (Niamey) and tertiary African airports (Faya-Largeau or Franceville) where there is only one food source.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Not to be too snarky, but in most airports the most expensive and worst coffee is from Starbucks. I typically get it from anywhere but there, when there are other convenient options.
top987 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
KEF

This dubious distinction has to go to Keflavik International Airport in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Stale cheese sandwich & nondescript drink for $20. Everything about that airport was so bad I wrote them to suggest improvements. Their response (reproduced below) did not even acknowledge the limited food options:

Thank you for your suggestions.
The airport is 30 years old but we are expanding and improving as fast as we are able. There are several charging stations throughout the airport. I am sorry that the employee did not know. I will look into that.
When we have finished expanding we hope to have room for some off the things you suggested. But right now we are to small compared to the number off people going through.

Again thank you for your suggestions. J

Með kveðju,

Kind regards
[Removed name per FT Rules]

Project Manager Passenger Service

Last edited by cblaisd; May 21, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 8:11 am

Another common disappointment: the US$3 apple that looks okay, but turns out to have been sitting in the cute farmer's basket display for a month.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
To be honest, just about anything I have eaten in any airport, anywhere.

My solution was to get a lounge pass. Then at least the crappy food is free.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
To be honest, just about anything I have eaten in any airport, anywhere.
Singapore is an exception. Staff canteen in T1 has the same prices as in the city hawker centers and food count in T3 just 10% more expensive than airconed food courts in the city. Yes, both are landside.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Platinum
United’s FreshPoo was pretty bad coffee a few years ago. I’m glad they got rid of them.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by invisible
Singapore is an exception. Staff canteen in T1 has the same prices as in the city hawker centers and food count in T3 just 10% more expensive than airconed food courts in the city. Yes, both are landside.
Ok, I take the point about SIN (a strong contender for "world's best major airport").
Old May 24, 2018, 12:11 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Chris Ratcha Maltman
I bought a chicken cesar wrap thing from a restaurant/coffee place at sydney airport. it was so bland, chicken was dry and flaky, hardly any sauce tasted like nothing. and it cost me best part of 12AUD
It might cost A$12 in the city too (but hopefully it will taste better).

Originally Posted by KDS777
At ZRH..........I was "Switzerlanded" as they say.

Coffee, croissant and an OJ........35 francs.
You could have gone to one of the supermarkets and got a pastry and juice (can't remember if they have coffee machines) for less than 5 francs. Perhaps the café ones are better, but not seven times better.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Keflavik International Airport in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Stale cheese sandwich & nondescript drink for $20. Everything about that airport was so bad I wrote them to suggest improvements.
Well, I had a fish and chips at KEF for about 1400 ISK, and it was reasonably edible, as well as being the cheapest meal I had in Iceland.

Originally Posted by invisible
The T2 landside food court at HKG is similar to this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a long delay at EWR last year so I sat at some seafood restaurant in the center of the C Concourse. I ordered a shrimp cocktail which was awful, some sushi which was tasteless and a scotch and it came to something like $80.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.