Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Foods Beef

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Whole Foods Beef

Anyone know where Whole foods gets its beef from? do they come pre-cut or do they cut them up in house?I picked up a Rib Eye last night for tonight, but am craving tartare more and more by the minute.I am just unsure how WholeFoods beef quality is these days.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:03 am

I think they come pre-cut
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're near Portland you can go to Rosemont Market on Commercial St. They get whole local animals in and butcher them there. I've talked to the butcher before and he's quite knowledgeable.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

We hav one down here like that in Charlton - Stearn's. Problem is I don't have time to drive down there and already bought it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Whole Foods beef (in SoCal at least) is phenomenal. I've gotten $11/lb. ribeyes that could have passed for USDA Prime. I can't speak for pre-cut or whether they get the whole steer, but the butchers behind the counter have always been willing to cut short rib flanken-style for me in the back if I ask nicely (they usually only put out the English style cut).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Whole Foods beef (in SoCal at least) is phenomenal. I've gotten $11/lb. ribeyes that could have passed for USDA Prime. I can't speak for pre-cut or whether they get the whole steer, but the butchers behind the counter have always been willing to cut short rib flanken-style for me in the back if I ask nicely (they usually only put out the English style cut).
I don't think they bring in entire sides of beef, but they certainly cut to order - I've had them do it many times.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Surprise - I'm still alive! (knock on wood - I hope I didn't jinx myself). Pain in the rear to chop up, but it made a decent tartare.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
A friend is actually in negotiations at the moment to provide beef to Whole Foods, at least our local one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.