Reload this Page >

Montreal Smoke Meat

Montreal Smoke Meat

Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Montreal Smoke Meat

I didn't even know it was a "thing." And then this local pop up appeared, and he finally opened his own restaurant in Berkeley. It is kinda sorta like if pastrami and corned beef had a non-vegan love child.
Anyway, here's our local version:
https://augiesmontrealdeli.com/

I tried it yesterday. It was quite tasty. Not sure how hard it is to find outside Montreal.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Mmmm, brings back memories of Ben’s.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Smoked meat, poutine and pickles...I bet that place is doing a killing post-Prop 64
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

I tried it yesterday. It was quite tasty. Not sure how hard it is to find outside Montreal.
I've never seen the real thing outside of Montreal. On any given night, there may be a line out the door and down the street at this place: Schwartz's - Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen - A Montreal Tradition Since 1928
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I've never seen the real thing outside of Montreal. On any given night, there may be a line out the door and down the street at this place: Schwartz's - Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen - A Montreal Tradition Since 1928
Well you can certainly find it in Toronto
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JBord
People who knew better would go to Ben's (or Bens, depending on your view of PQ language issues.)

Originally Posted by mapleg
Well you can certainly find it in Toronto
I've lived in Montreal, I've lived in Toronto...it ain't the same thing. Just like New Yorkers who try to tell you their bagels are the best...
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Mmmm, brings back memories of Ben’s.
happy memories of Bens. A must stop whenever I visited Montreal years ago. I shook his hand every time I left the restaurant. He will be long gone now. Is it still operating? A great meat sandwich. A Montreal institution. Hope it still runs today. The best.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended

No, closed in 2005 or 2006 I think. It was on the downhill since the early 1990s, like much of Montreal. I think there was some issue about keeping the building intact, but Bens itself is long gone. Schwartz's is still running as far as I know.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, closed in 2005 or 2006 I think. It was on the downhill since the early 1990s, like much of Montreal. I think there was some issue about keeping the building intact, but Bens itself is long gone. Schwartz's is still running as far as I know.
standards probably started to slip once the old boy was gone. I think I last went in early 90’s. Happy memories.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'll take Lester's over Schwartz's any day. Had a smoked meat sandwich there less than two weeks ago.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'll take Lester's over Schwartz's any day. Had a smoked meat sandwich there less than two weeks ago.

Smoked meat poutine from Lester's at Montreal Airport. I had poutine for both my first and last meal on that Montreal trip.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I like Dunn's. The smoked meat isn't as good as Lester's or Schwarz's but it's a great place to eat after a night of boozing in Montreal and kill time before catching the morning flight back to YYZ.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by klew97

Smoked meat poutine from Lester's at Montreal Airport. I had poutine for both my first and last meal on that Montreal trip.
Darn...we almost always fly Porter. Need to switch over to American.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
My whole family now swears by Dunn's. The cheesecake there is pretty good too but it's tough to keep enough space for it.

Both my parents having met in Montreal and being pretty big fans of smoked meat... I now have to question whether my name has anything to do with Ben's.

Dunn's pastrami also sells frozen in Costco so that's pretty cool too.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Fumare Meats in Chicago serves Montreal style pastrami and it's delicious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.