Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Pot

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I just won an IP Mini. My husband and I like one-pot, easy recipes, so this may be the best thing ever. We'll soon find out . . .

If anyone has any advice for those of us who prefer to make reservations for dinner, umm, help!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
If anyone has any advice for those of us who prefer to make reservations for dinner, umm, help!
This recipe has proved pretty much fool proof for us
Japanese-style Stewed Beef | recipes | Dining with the Chef | NHK WORLD - English
There’s a video here:

I find that the original recipe calls for too much salt and sugar so I reduce the tablespoons of both to just over a teaspoon each.
I never make it with the full amount of protein either. 1 pound of meat is fine, you don’t need to use a whole 1kg(2.2pounds)
I also use a teaspoon of yeast extract (marmite) instead of the chicken stock.
If you haven’t got sake, just use wine.
The tomato paste is optional too.

You can stir in a pound of minced meat instead of steak/lamb/chicken etc and you’ll end up with a tasty ragu.

P.S.I don’t have a food processor, so I grate the carrot and just chop everything else, easy peasy!

As I said, fool proof!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by LapLap
Japanese-style Stewed Beef recipes Dining with the Chef NHK WORLD - English
There’s a video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdDlB_VBLyM&t=510s

I find that the original recipe calls for too much salt and sugar so I reduce the tablespoons of both to just over a teaspoon each.
I never make it with the full amount of protein either. 1 pound of meat is fine, you don’t need to use a whole 1kg(2.2pounds)

You can stir in a pound of minced meat instead of steak/lamb/chicken etc and you’ll end up with a tasty ragu.

P.S.I don’t have a food processor, so I grate the carrot and just chop everything else, easy peasy!

As I said, fool proof!
Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Japanese-style Stewed Beef recipes Dining with the Chef NHK WORLD - English
There’s a video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdDlB_VBLyM&t=510s

As I said, fool proof!
Wait, she doesn't brown the beef? Is that right? How long do you let it cook then?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, she doesn't brown the beef? Is that right? How long do you let it cook then?
Yep, no need to brown the meat.
Once up to pressure she recommends 35-40 minutes.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, no need to brown the meat.
Once up to pressure she recommends 35-40 minutes.
That recipe looks amazing! Plus you can control the fat and calorie content.

We tried a simple chicken and biscuits recipe last night and it was fun, tasted good, and we have leftovers today.

Clean-up was doable. I had to look up how to clean the valve thing, and decided to give that silicone ring a good cleaning.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That recipe looks amazing! Plus you can control the fat and calorie content.
That is the main reasons I don’t include tomato paste.

The amount of carbs per portion (even with a little honey and sugar) is reasonable. I can testify that it’s a recipe that you can lose weight with if you aren’t eating it with rice or bread, even with all the olive oil the recipe calls for.
(I forgot to add oil once, even that didn’t ruin it. Not an omission I’d recommend, although you can cut the amount of oil by half if you really wanted to)
ysolde likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Early this morning I made it with 400g/1 lb of minced beef that I pulled out of the freezer last night. MrLapLap was unexpectedly called to work and needed a hearty lunch to take.
Plenty left for me and the kid to eat at home.
Am mentioning this because I completely forgot to add the sake. (Also, I have run out of miso so used a spoon of soy sauce instead).
Complete lack of alcohol didn't ruin the ragu, delicious without it.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I attended a get together to try new recipes and, in some cases, learn to use the InstaPot. We made Buffalo Ranch Chicken, Honey Bourbon Chicken, and Goulash. I'm anxious to try all of them.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
My entire family has become obsessed with this recipe:

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/1485973...talian-chicken

The broth it makes is easily the most flavorful any of us have ever tasted.
LapLap likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Yesterday, I thought - what was life like before my Instant Pot?

I discovered a couple weeks ago I could put 5 Costco frozen chicken tenderloins and 1 cup of broth in for 10 minutes, then throw in carrots, onions, celery, a few shakes of dry italian herbs, and rice + ~4 cups of water in for an additional 8 minutes, natural pressure release, a little salt n peppa, making a simple and comforting soup. Yesterday, I didn't have celery, so I used frozen peas and fresh spinach after the final pressure release and served it up after sitting on warm for an hour. In the future, I will cook the carrots separately because I don't like the sweetness in the soup.

I've also done fresh corn on the cob this week. First time, I had to break the cob into two to fit, added 1 cup of water, set the pieces inside a metal bowl inside the pot, and manual'd it for 2 minutes, natural released <10 minutes later. Second time, I did 1 minute and opened the pot after ~15 minutes. The first time turned out to be nice and crisp kernels, the second was a tad mushy for my preference.

Originally Posted by txflyer77

You had me at basil. <3

I use Nom Nom as a guideline for ingredient quantities and cooking times, but have never followed any of her recipes to a T.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by boxo; Aug 5, 2019 at 4:11 pm Reason: Added photo
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am spending a month in Spain with my kid and my parents. Using a pressure cooker a lot right now as my mother and myself follow a low carb diet whilst my daughter and dad do not. Pressure cooking is great when you get back from the beach, by the time everyone else has washed off the sand and re-dressed I’ll have made the lunch (5 mins prep plus 35 mins cooking time).
The Italian chicken recipe is pretty similar to my own Spanish style staple chicken meal, but adding olives is really a step too far to me. We eat green and black olives with the accompanying salad, I just can’t bring myself to cook with them. Pre-prepared fried tomato is cheap and easy in this part of the world, as are decent stocks in tetra brick packets, all I need to add in addition to these are garlic, onions and other vegetables as well as chicken thighs, olive oil and a bit of wine. On the top, I’ll add a huge uncut potato which the carb eaters share between them.

I do miss one dish now that I’m low carb. If you aren’t and want a healthy and truly delicious taste of Spain, this may well be one of the loveliest things you can make in a pressure cooker. Have found this English version which covers the basics - Olla Gitana (it’s the pears that make this dish so extraordinary)
https://breadandonions.net/?p=351
ysolde likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 9, 2019 at 4:00 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Am spending a month in Spain with my kid and my parents. Using a pressure cooker a lot right now as my mother and myself follow a low carb diet whilst my daughter and dad do not. Pressure cooking is great when you get back from the beach, by the time everyone else has washed off the sand and re-dressed I’ll have made the lunch (5 mins prep plus 35 mins cooking time).
The Italian chicken recipe is pretty similar to my own Spanish style staple chicken meal, but adding olives is really a step too far to me. We eat green and black olives with the accompanying salad, I just can’t bring myself to cook with them. Pre-prepared fried tomato is cheap and easy in this part of the world, as are decent stocks in tetra brick packets, all I need to add in addition to these are garlic, onions and other vegetables as well as chicken thighs, olive oil and a bit of wine. On the top, I’ll add a huge uncut potato which the carb eaters share between them.

I do miss one dish now that I’m low carb. If you aren’t and want a healthy and truly delicious taste of Spain, this may well be one of the loveliest things you can make in a pressure cooker. Have found this English version which covers the basics - Olla Gitana (it’s the pears that make this dish so extraordinary)
https://breadandonions.net/?p=351
Give the green olives a try in it just once. It's not nearly as "olive-y" as you might fear.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Give the green olives a try in it just once. It's not nearly as "olive-y" as you might fear.
Perhaps the black ones. My 9 year old has only just started liking olives, but she hasn't developed a taste for the manzanilla green type yet.

Trying to put my finger on it, it may well be the idea of a "unolivey" olive that puts me off, with the taste and sharpness leeched out of them during the cooking process. Am happy to have them uncooked, in all their glory, on the side but am just not too keen on odd Mediterranean "fusion" tastes, when you're not committed to a certain region or country (in this case Italy) it can all go wrong very quickly. Here's an example of unfettered and uninformed fusion (in Spanish but the photos say everything)
https://elcomidista.elpais.com/elcom...37965.amp.html
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Perhaps the black ones. My 9 year old has only just started liking olives, but she hasn't developed a taste for the manzanilla green type yet.

Trying to put my finger on it, it may well be the idea of a "unolivey" olive that puts me off, with the taste and sharpness leeched out of them during the cooking process. Am happy to have them uncooked, in all their glory, on the side but am just not too keen on odd Mediterranean "fusion" tastes, when you're not committed to a certain region or country (in this case Italy) it can all go wrong very quickly. Here's an example of unfettered and uninformed fusion (in Spanish but the photos say everything)
https://elcomidista.elpais.com/elcom...37965.amp.html
Those photos are scary and make me want to cry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.