Old food or restaurant brands that are not what you remember

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...

I had some Breyer's ice cream today it was just not what I remembered as a kid in the '70s in PA and today it was really no better than a store brand. I looked at the ingredients list and I thing the old ads of just 4 ingredients is for sure a thing of the past.

Guess I am just getting to be a grumpy old man! My favorite these days is now Tillamook
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Breyer’s has added so many additives to their ice creams that some flavors can’t even legally be called ice cream anymore. They have to call them ‘frozen dairy deserts’.

if you want real ice cream, you have to make sure it says ‘Ice Cream’ on the front, and a lot of brands no longer say that.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by fwfdan
I had some Breyer's ice cream today it was just not what I remembered as a kid in the '70s in PA and today it was really no better than a store brand. I looked at the ingredients list and I thing the old ads of just 4 ingredients is for sure a thing of the past.

Guess I am just getting to be a grumpy old man! My favorite these days is now Tillamook
Tillamook ice cream has more fat in it. That's why it tastes good. Great for a heart attack.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Just read this ice cream article yesterday... https://www.eatthis.com/ice-cream-br...y-ingredients/
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
All the best ice creams have fat. Everything in moderation.
TGarza likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Breyer’s has added so many additives to their ice creams that some flavors can’t even legally be called ice cream anymore. They have to call them ‘frozen dairy deserts’.

if you want real ice cream, you have to make sure it says ‘Ice Cream’ on the front, and a lot of brands no longer say that.
Ice cream has to contain at least 10% milk fat per FDA labeling requirements.

See some similar naming issues with peanut butter vs peanut spread.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Breyers was near and dear to my heart grwoing up in the 70s.PA ad NYC...

I think when they were sold to Unilever it turned into a chemical soup. Pretty sad. If you read wikis, the brand manager insists it was ONLY to satisfy consumers...just utter hogwash.

I make my own- cream, sugar, vanilla... without all the chemicals, if it thaws- even for a minute- it is ruined. It also cannot last in the freezer.

If unilever is using a universe of consumer that have never had natural icecream- who's sense of taste is Dairy Queen- then it isnt surprising.

Actually Costco in northern CA has a pretty decent vanilla, their Kirkland super premium. I think it is made by Humbot Creamery
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
They have to call them ‘frozen dairy deserts’.
Antarctica is mostly frozen desert. I suppose if there were milk cows there...
Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:29 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So long as we're talking old food brands, I believe Dining Buzz is the more appropriate home to this thread. Please follow the discussion there.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

I think when they were sold to Unilever it turned into a chemical soup. Pretty sad. If you read wikis, the brand manager insists it was ONLY to satisfy consumers...just utter hogwash.
y
Are you trying to say that you liked the product better when it was udder hogwash?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sonic, KFC, Dunkin Donuts.

Quality is so much less than 20 years ago.
JBord likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
McDonald's used to have some tasty offerings such as the McDLT, fried apple and cherry pies, and french fries cooked in tallow. Now I don't think there is a single non-breakfast item worth eating.
TGarza likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
McDonald's used to have some tasty offerings such as the McDLT, fried apple and cherry pies, and french fries cooked in tallow. Now I don't think there is a single non-breakfast item worth eating.
Haven't eaten there since 1982 or so. Accordingly, I have no idea! As far as not what I remember, Taco Bell is sure it. They used to cook fresh ground beef on the flat top. Once the meat started coming sauced in a bag ... Of course, they probably stopped cooking the meat fresh on the flat top about the same time as I ceased my occasional McD's visits.
cblaisd likes this.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Aug 21, 2022 at 4:17 pm Reason: bad spellums
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Sonic, KFC, Dunkin Donuts.

Quality is so much less than 20 years ago.
I'm not a donut guy, but agree 100% on Sonic and KFC. I'll also add Arby's.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Haven't eaten there since 1982 or so. Accordingly, I have no idea! As far as not what I remember, Taco Bell is sure it. They used to cook fresh ground beef on the flat top. Once the meat started coming sauced in a bag ... Of course, they probably stopped cooking the meat fresh on the flat top about the same time as I ceased my occasional McD's visits.
Taco Bell has been using the bagged beef since at least 1975. (Friends worked there) I haven't noticed any difference at all in their regular crunchy tacos in all this time. Totally consistent, and not bad occasionally for what they are.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
I'm not a donut guy, but agree 100% on Sonic and KFC. I'll also add Arby's.

Taco Bell has been using the bagged beef since at least 1975. (Friends worked there) I haven't noticed any difference at all in their regular crunchy tacos in all this time. Totally consistent, and not bad occasionally for what they are.
Wow. I am older than I thought!
braslvr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.