Mickey D's going after Chik-Fil-A and apprently fails

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...cid=spartanntp

So, understanding taste is subjective, I just for the life of me can't figure out what's so great about chick-fil-a's food. I lived in the south for several years and a lot of people there practically worship their sandwich, but I think it's just an ordinary chicken sandwich with a pickle on it.

By the way, I tried to copy and paste the article but it ended up being a mess. Sorry about that.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Randeman
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...cid=spartanntp

So, understanding taste is subjective, I just for the life of me can't figure out what's so great about chick-fil-a's food. I lived in the south for several years and a lot of people there practically worship their sandwich, but I think it's just an ordinary chicken sandwich with a pickle on it.

By the way, I tried to copy and paste the article but it ended up being a mess. Sorry about that.
I do not get it either, virtually every city, town, village has some local place offering better chicken then them. The first time I had them was in Indiana when I was in college and people were shocked when I said it was ok and that the soul food place a few doors down was way better.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:46 am

It's like In N Out to people from California. It's a taste you grew up with and it sticks with you. I have had some amazing chicken sandwiches in my life, but the Chick always hits the spot. I love it. It's comfort food in a different form.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by MissJ
It's like In N Out to people from California. It's a taste you grew up with and it sticks with you. I have had some amazing chicken sandwiches in my life, but the Chick always hits the spot. I love it. It's comfort food in a different form.
Agreed. There are many better foods to be had, but if something hits an emotional as well as a gastronomic nerve, you’re going to gravitate toward it at some point. I haven’t had a Chick-Fil-A sandwich since I was 17 and working at the (now demolished) Seaview Square Mall in Ocean Township, NJ, but I still have fond memories and would probably eat one if I found myself hungry and next to the store. These days, I have similar feelings about the Wawa soft pretzel. Are there better pretzels in the world? Absolutely. But I still need to pick up a Wawa pretzel for every kayak or cycling outing
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've never had one. I always see a line down the concourse at DFW when I walk by.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have the same reaction to the sandwich. But. I love the nuggets and waffle fries. And the lemonade. But if all they sold was that sandwich, I wouldn't bother with it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I really don't get the hype either. It's OK. That's about it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by james318
I really don't get the hype either. It's OK. That's about it.
I don't either. But stating the reasons why I don't eat there would take this thread over to /PR.
TWA884, goodeats21 and Kiara like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I really like Chick fil a. I'll admit it. I don't think any other chain can match the consistent quality and speed of service. My favorite thing on the menu is the deluxe spicy chicken sandwich. The tenders and fries are really solid.

​​​​​I've had the new McDs tenders and they're surprisingly good. Nothing like the chicken nuggets which bear little resemblance to food.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Part of it for me is the fact that they don't put any kind of dressing on it. I hate a dry sandwich as much as I hate a dry salad. But mostly my opinion for this is with respect the chicken itself. Whoopie.

Last edited by Randeman; Jan 23, 2018 at 12:42 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
Well, as a former California resident and (hopefully) a future one, In N Out burgers are INFREAKINGCREDIBLE!!!

As far as the taste that sticks, I have had a lot of fast and quick service chicken sandwiches (none of them stand out) and, while there's nothing wrong with Chick fil a, it's nothing to write home about either.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
A six-ounce sandwich with lots of sugar (5 g, about 1/4 of total daily allowance) and lots of salt (1300 mg, nearly a whole day's allowance)! What's not to like....other than eating a 450 calorie sandwich that leaves you feeling more hungry than when you started an hour later because of all the sugar and salt?

For a guilty pleasure, give me an extra glass of wine!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I don't think any other chain can match the consistent quality and speed of service.
I thought this, too, for a long time. Then I started experiencing issues in Tarrant County. Service speed (at Chik-Fil-A) seems to be all over the map here, from Jimmy John's fast to Whataburger slow. One was even closed on a Friday morning. (Whichever manager was supposed to open the restaurant that morning no-called, no-showed, and quit, from what I understand.) Chicken quality and size seems to vary between stores; some stores I consistently get a bigger piece than others. They also seem to use multiple bakeries, as the biscuits are not the same across stores.

Last edited by empedocles; Jan 23, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like Raising Cane's chicken tenders.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kale73
I like Raising Cane's chicken tenders.
One just opened up near me. I may go try that since it's next door to where Baby Swede has a birthday party.

As for CFA, I do like their sandwich. My biggest problem is that I only really crave it on Sundays. Oh, the irony.

I also guess that Denver was a test market for McDonald's sandwich. I remember seeing them advertise a "southern-style chicken sandwich" for a while. I never tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.