Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mickey D's going after Chik-Fil-A and apprently fails

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Name?

When I lived in Simpsonville, there was a chain called "Clock" or "The Clock" scattered across the Piedmont. Not fancy. Not clean. But man did I crave their food. I ate lunch there 4 days a week and grew 10 pounds in 2 years.
Rush's. If ever in Columbia, check it out. I really love their fries, too.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If any of y'all are in Houston and looking for a great burger or chicken sandwich, look up Southwells, it's a local chain with about 4-5 locations around the city and I highly recommend it. One of their locations is walking distance from my old office, so it was a once every couple week treat.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I don't like Fast food Hamburgers, because they are cooked medium-well to well done, and I like mine rare. Try asking Five-Guys, Steak-n-Shake, and other "gourmet" QSR's to not cook it well done, they refuse it as against company policy due to the possibility of food poisoning due to undercooked meat.

I prefer full service restaurants who have the disclaimer of consuming undercooked meat to protect them. I only got sick once from eating a rare burger, and it was one I made myself.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I don't like Fast food Hamburgers, because they are cooked medium-well to well done, and I like mine rare. Try asking Five-Guys, Steak-n-Shake, and other "gourmet" QSR's to not cook it well done, they refuse it as against company policy due to the possibility of food poisoning due to undercooked meat.

I prefer full service restaurants who have the disclaimer of consuming undercooked meat to protect them. I only got sick once from eating a rare burger, and it was one I made myself.
I enjoy medium-rare steaks. I prefer medium or medium-well burgers, because I feel they are safer.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by kipper
I enjoy medium-rare steaks. I prefer medium or medium-well burgers, because I feel they are safer.
I too like my steaks medium-rare. Prime rib, rare. I also enjoy steak tartare. I prefer thin patty medium-well to well done burgers not for any safety reason, but for texture. The soft texture of a medium to rare burger patty ruins the whole hamburger experience for me. Serious bonus points if those thin patties have some crispy edges like In-N-Out.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yes, not only safer, but they seem to have more flavor. Just different than steak in many ways, but as you point out the bacteria issue is the main one. Steak for me is rare or medium rare, but you don't have the health issues since it's a solid piece of meat.

Most of the chefs I know (and I know several) prefer burgers medium. As do I.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Put me firmly in the medium burger camp, even though I like steaks more rare. I like a little outside crisp and the texture overall of a medium burger. Don't need a gloppy bloody thing...ick...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Made the mistake of eating at the Chik-Fil-A at the Orlando airport last year. Disgusting and I ended up throwing it out. Going to guess it was just one of those airport things. Can't be that bad everywhere or they'd be out of business.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
I too like my steaks medium-rare. Prime rib, rare. I also enjoy steak tartare. I prefer thin patty medium-well to well done burgers not for any safety reason, but for texture. The soft texture of a medium to rare burger patty ruins the whole hamburger experience for me. Serious bonus points if those thin patties have some crispy edges like In-N-Out.
Good point. The texture seems better too.
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, not only safer, but they seem to have more flavor. Just different than steak in many ways, but as you point out the bacteria issue is the main one. Steak for me is rare or medium rare, but you don't have the health issues since it's a solid piece of meat.

Most of the chefs I know (and I know several) prefer burgers medium. As do I.
I suffered through a rare burger once. It was horrible.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I suffered through a rare burger once. It was horrible.
The only way I can see it would even be decent is if it were made with very lean beef. Like ground filet, 95% lean, etc. Not the typical 75-80% burger grind. But you'd still have the health issue. A burger is significantly more likely to contain harmful bacteria than a steak due to the additional surface area produced by the grinding process.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Now Taco Bell is going after McDonald's with their own riff on fries. Apparently they're a little thicker and with a spicy seasoning and are dipped in nacho cheese instead of ketchup.

If I had to bet, I'd say this will fail and be a short-term thing that is gone by 2019. But who knows...maybe it'll be a 2AM hit with the stoner set...
Not sure if it was February of last year or December of the year before that but fries were available in the UK. Neither of us tried them (why we ate there is a long story in and of itself) but I remember it being on the menu there.

Just checked the Taco Bell UK site and fries are still there plus they still have the volcano burrito. Assuming it is made the same as the one that I have had in the U.S. I should have looked over the menu a little better instead of settling on chicken tacos which were OK.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
The only way I can see it would even be decent is if it were made with very lean beef. Like ground filet, 95% lean, etc. Not the typical 75-80% burger grind. But you'd still have the health issue. A burger is significantly more likely to contain harmful bacteria than a steak due to the additional surface area produced by the grinding process.
It was buffalo, but it was still disgusting. Blood was dripping everywhere as I tried to eat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.