Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
But the Brits could learn from you folks and ADD SOME POTATO!!! Then I would ......SWOON over the meal!!!
One does wonder how a society as cultured and sophisticated as the British neglected to include crispy hash browns part of a proper fry-up!
braslvr likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
My everyday breakfast is a slice of wheat toast and a bowl of greek yogurt and fresh berries.

When traveling, I'll splurge on smoked salmon and lightly cooked scrambled eggs.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Greek and Turkish breakfasts are my absolute favorite. Fresh breads, cubes of super-creamy feta, jam, dried apricots, eggs, cucumbers and tomatoes, fresh fruit, yogurt, Turkish coffee...it does not get better. The best breakfast I’ve ever had in my life, hands down, was at the Hotel Yialasi in Ancient Epidavros, Greece. Outdoors, overlooking a grove of orange trees and the sea, deep blue sky and bright sun...wow. More food just kept landing on the table, and we could have stayed there the whole day.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by trooper
But the Brits could learn from you folks and ADD SOME POTATO!!! Then I would ......SWOON over the meal!!!

P.S. Would a British Scone come close to the kind of "biscuits" you like??
Unfortunately, the British scone is nothing like the southern US biscuit that I know and love. (Scones are great. But they are not southern biscuits.)
trooper and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It depends where I am. The breakfast I look forward to in the UK is two fried eggs and fried slices. When in America it is biscuits and gravy with Tabasco sauce.

Neither are eaten at home. I have a specific restaurant in the UK for the eggs and fried slices and one in the US for biscuits and gravy and rarely eat them anywhere else.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:04 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Cold pizza
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:46 am

Eggs Benedict
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Siggi's + fruit + granola is my go to breakfast

On the road I'll substitute whatever Greek yogurt they have in the lounge (or that I go buy from the CVS / Target / 7-11).

On vacation I love the omelet station so egg white omelet is my go-to plus whatever fresh bread they have (ideally baguette or some other type of crusty bread).

Favorite travel breakfast was in Santorini last May. Stayed at the Astra Suites and they brought breakfast for us every morning (delicious egg white omelet with tomatoes and feta cheese for me) and put it on our outside deck so we were able to eat looking out at the incredible view of Santorini we had from our deck.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:12 am

The best breakfast I ever had featured fresh pineapple and tap water outside on the patio at the Pioneer Hotel in Lahaina, Maui on my first trip to the islands.

Having grown up on the East Coast, I had never before tasted fresh pineapple that was fully ripened when picked. Everything I had tasted prior to that had been picked early and ripened (probably with ethylene) in transit. The real taste of freshly picked pineapple was like a Fourth of July celebration in my mouth.

I then took a sip of ice water, and the festivities continued. The water seemed as fresh as the pineapple, with no chemical taste. Don't know if they treat it, orwhether the sense of time and place heightened by appreciation.

The rest of the breakfast, I think, may have actually included fish, and was obviously not as memorable. But 35 years later, I can still celebrate that first taste of fresh pineapple.
DeathSlam likes this.

Last edited by HomerJay; Jan 17, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by JBord
One does wonder how a society as cultured and sophisticated as the British neglected to include crispy hash browns part of a proper fry-up!
Perhaps their judgment was clouded by the sight of all those baked beans.
This is not necessarily my favorite, but I do feel the need to speak up on behalf of the humble bowl of porridge. Real porridge. Steel-cut oats, slow-cooked (and maybe even soaked first). Take all that healthful oaty goodness and add un-healthful cream and brown sugar. Yum.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Having grown up on the East Coast, I had never before tasted fresh pineapple that was fully ripened when picked. Everything I had tasted prior to that had been picked early and ripened (probably with ethylene) in transit. The real taste of freshly picked pineapple was like a Fourth of July celebration in my mouth.
Not to nitpick, but after 30+ years building fruit ripening facilities globally, I can assure you that pineapple does not ripen after it is picked, even with ethylene. You just got nice ripe pineapple as it should be.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
The best pineapple I've ever had was bought off a cart on the streets of Davao, Philippines.

It's amazing how good fruit can be when it's picked at the peak of ripeness and eaten almost immediately.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by work2fly
The best pineapple I've ever had was bought off a cart on the streets of Davao, Philippines.

It's amazing how good fruit can be when it's picked at the peak of ripeness and eaten almost immediately.
No doubt. Some of the best (if not the best) pineapple in the world are grown within 100 miles of Davao. I've had many straight out of the fields there.
Unfortunately, they are only exported to Asia and Europe. Most folks in the US will never see or taste one. Back to breakfast now....
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Yes... Pineapple does not belong at breakfast...... or on Pizza.....

(Now I'm ducking! lol)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: *G
best:
chinese porridge. simple.
japanese medley... soup, rice, maybe pickled veg
or any other asian variant that are warm and savoury... pho, ramen, etc

good:
italian. coffee + cornetto (aka croissant). small, quick.
english baked beans is nice. roasted tomatoes and some eggs, too.
american bacon. american - not english bacon, australian bacon, any sort of german speck, none of that fakon stuff. cured and smoked pork belly strips.
oatmeal.

bad:
"continental breakfast".
in general just a smattering of cold or uncooked stuff. chunks of melon, cheeses and and ham. cup of yogurt and some olives. mehhhh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.