FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Gorgonzola Dolce and Stilton - what kind of bread? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1881392-gorgonzola-dolce-stilton-what-kind-bread.html)

Cloudship Dec 6, 2017 8:43 am

Gorgonzola Dolce and Stilton - what kind of bread?

I was thinking of bringing a cheese platter to a potluck this Friday. I can get a wedge of good Stilton and a tub of Gorgonzola Dolce from my local high-end market. But, what kind of bread do you think would pair well? It would have to be something you could pick up at a market or bakery - no time to bake anything myself. And any other accompaniments you think would be good?

obscure2k Dec 6, 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 29141096)
I was thinking of bringing a cheese platter to a potluck this Friday. I can get a wedge of good Stilton and a tub of Gorgonzola Dolce from my local high-end market. But, what kind of bread do you think would pair well? It would have to be something you could pick up at a market or bakery - no time to bake anything myself. And any other accompaniments you think would be good?

Ripe, crisp pears and tart apples along with some Carr's Water Biscuits.

work2fly Dec 6, 2017 9:27 am

A bottle of port and a bag of toasted walnuts :D

chgoeditor Dec 6, 2017 11:47 am

Strange "bread" suggestions thus far.

Personally, I'd go for something with some nuts and fruit in it, but optimally, nothing overly sweet. (Not a cinnamon raisin, but more like a walnut raisin.) I think it helps cut some of the stronger flavors in gorgonzola and stilton, while also complimenting them.

Cloudship Dec 6, 2017 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 29141264)
A bottle of port and a bag of toasted walnuts :D

On campus, so no booze. :( But that was my first thought as well!

lhrsfo Dec 6, 2017 9:37 pm

Bath Oliver's are perfect with Stilton. Gorgonzola requires something saltier. I don't think bread really works with either but , if forced to choose, I'd go for sourdough.

tentseller Dec 7, 2017 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 29142423)
On campus, so no booze. :( But that was my first thought as well!

On Campus? use empty Welch's bottle as a decanter!

KDS777 Dec 8, 2017 11:33 am

Another vote for an authentic fresh baked sourdough as well.

milepig Dec 10, 2017 9:57 pm

The high end store should have what you need. ask for their advice

Cloudship Dec 11, 2017 6:40 am

I ran oiut of time, and they were out of everything. I just bought a package of those little whole wheat toasts. Those worked fine. As it went not to many people took any, so I have half a tub of it left.

VivoPerLei Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am

Too late to be useful, but I had with sourdough recently and it matched perfectly

MaxBuck Dec 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 29160496)
Too late to be useful, but I had with sourdough recently and it matched perfectly

I've yet to find any cheese or meat that a good crusty sourdough doesn't complement well.