Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was your Best Meal of the Year?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What was your Best Meal of the Year?

I had mine last night. At Ola Restaurant at the Sanctuary Hotel in Miami Beach.

- Mojito as a pre-dinner cocktail

- Rainbow Ceviche as an appitizer.

- Medium Rare Filet Mignon with chipotle lobster sauce and asparagus as my main. I split a bottle of Chardonnay with my Father and had a Caipirinha to drink. Both cocktails were amazing.

- Dessert of Bananas Tres Leches and a glass of Port.

Even the bread was good. Plus, the atmopshere and the company made for it being my best dine. What about everyone else?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Well I've had three three this year...

My wife and I had an absolutely lovely dinner a few months ago at Arrows in Ogunquit, Maine. It was mid-week and we had one of those lovely drawn out meals where there was no rush and every dish ordered was even better than we expected. A properly made martini and a nice Northern Rhone red made it that much more enjoyable.

Next, at my house a few weeks ago: beef filet perfectly grilled medium-rare over charcoal, a nice batch of Lyonnaise potatoes (in addition to the traditional onions I add sauteed wild mushrooms), and some grilled asparagus. The beef filets had my bourbon-mushroom-creme sauce on the side. There was a 2007 Pahlmeyer red blend to accompany. YUM!

And last, in late August I was flying solo as one of two people in the FC cabin on Cathay Pacific JFK-HKG. Sixteen hours of wonderful service, caviar, Krug and dim sum and.. and.... and... aaaahhhhhh!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't think I can narrow it down to 1 specific meal. We are part of an underground supper club where I live and get an incredible meal once a month.

If I were to limit my "best meal" to what I ate while traveling, I can't point to one exact meal but there were several standouts.

Here's a few I can remember:

1. Dinner at Bottega in Yountville. Michael Chiarello's rustic Italian restaurant. The best Italian food I can remember ever eating. The menu rotates seasonally so it's hard to recommend something in particular. I had a red wheat pasta with a pork sugo. My wife had Butternut Squash Gnocchi.

2. "Brisket" at Two Urban Licks in Atlanta (just last week). Just walking into the place, your nose is drawn to the smokey smell in the building.

3. Ribs at the Pecan Lodge in Dallas. Hands down the best I've ever had.

4. Cioppino at Scoma's in San Francisco.

5. Verdad Spanish Restaurant in Bryn Mawr PA. (Black Truffle Flatbread, Spicy Rub Tuna & Patatas Bravas.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I can get it down to two, though I am fairly certain I may be missing one more.

An October dinner at the Kittle House in Westchester County in New York. The food was wonderful, the wine spectacular (though with a 70,000 bottle cellar there were many excellent choices for him to choose) and the service wonderful.

The other one would be at the total opposite end of the scale, but the Mofongo at Barrachina in San Juan blew me away. I know it's not a fancy dish, and it's not a fancy place, so it was totally and completely unexpected.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:27 am

Cool, I had a similar thread for 2011. Can't possibly get it down to one, so will answer the same way

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...l#post17675393

Highlights
----------------------------------
Roka, Maze, and L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in London. - All superb meals. I don't get all the hate for Maze on TA, but then again I've only been once.
Ai Mercanti and Osteria da Fiore in Venice- great hours long tasting menu meals with wine pairings
Arthur Bryant's in KC - met the hype for me.
L'Incontro in Amman - really nice grilled prawn meal on the outdoor patio, overlooking Amman at sunset.
Cantina Laredo, London. Yes, I know it is Americanized, but the best Mexican food we've had outside of the US.

Disappointments
---------------
Beach Restaurant at the Chedi, Muscat - way, way overpriced and overhyped
R2L, Philadelphia - reminds me not to eat in skyscraper restaurants
Mestizo, London - fooled by the mostly positive TA reviews
La Daurade, Marseilles - not disappointing, disgusting

Surprises
----------
The Fellow, London - really nice gastro pub
Tria, Philadelphia - great wine bar, still thinking about it
Lasas Steak House, Palanga - best steak of the year in Lithuania of all places
Fog Harbor Fish House, SF. - wasn't expecting much on touristy Pier39, but very pleasantly surprised.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Simple. Steak and Lobster at Ruth's Chris in HNL last week.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
The degustation at In De Wulf in Dranouter, Belgium. Absolutely amazing with a phenomenal dish of mussels, seaweed and whey.

A dinner very early in the year at Marque in Sydney is also right up there with Dutch Cream Potatoes, Cream, Coffee and Uni being the highlight.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:32 pm

Asador Etxebarri. Best meal I've ever had. So simple, but perfectly cooked. I must go back one day.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
The french laundry, absolutely amazing
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:51 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I can narrow it down to 3: (in no particular order)

Post House, NYC: Filet Mignon Oscar with mashed potato and grilled asparagus during Restaurant Week NYC this past summer. Even better since it was only $35 for the 3 courses (plus $10 supplement for the Oscar)

Porto Santa Maria, Cascais, Portugal: Cod cakes; sauteed shrimp in garlic butter and chiles; whole sea bream baked in salt crust; dessert; coffee; bread; mineral water; and a bottle of white for 80 EUR for 2 people. Reputed to be best seafood restaurant on Portuguese Atlantic coast.

Le Petit Comité, Barcelona: The freshest calamari (the freshness of the squid is so important as with each passing day the flavour drops significantly); catalan vegetable stew and catalan creme brulee -- simply outstanding!

Last edited by luxury; Jan 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm Reason: Added type of fish at Porto Santa Maria
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:43 am

A McDonald's McChicken :P
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by luxury
whole whitefish baked in salt crust; dessert; coffee; bread; mineral water; and a bottle of white for 80 EUR for 2 people. Reputed to be best seafood restaurant on Portuguese Atlantic coast.
I wonder if this is a Portuguese thing. I had a similar whitefish dish in Ponta Del Gada this year that was one of the best I've ever had. One of those close your eyes and savor it meals
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Star GLD, Hilton GLD, Hyatt Plat
State Bird Provisions in San Francisco. You do the research. It was delicious. California style dim sum... A-M-A-zing
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Like so many have stated, I as well as my partner have had some amazing dinners.

In March we were in Cleveland for a weekend to vist the Rock and Roll hall of fame. So we ate at Michael Simon's Lola Bistro..

Foie Gras Mousse huckleberry, braised shallot, brioche, walnut simply amazing.

Smoked Hampshire Pork Chop chiles, cheesy polenta, bbq onions.
Lola Fries and Wild Mushrooms

The 6 a.m. Special brioche french toast, maple-bacon ice cream, caramelized apple.

I was San Fran for a conference and spent an extra day, so my Sister, Brother in law and I went to Napa and we ate at Iron Chief Morimoto's place. What an experience...

Lobster Won Ton in a Braised Short Rib Pho broth.. SIMPLY outstanding.

Braised Black Cod with a Ginger-Soy Reduction The best fish dish I have had

Of course some sushi.

Lastly, I surpised my partner with a trip to Hawaii for our Anniversay this past Nov. But we spent the first night in LA, so we could eat at Lawry's Steakhouse. Now if you haven't eaten here, you are missing something. This is an experience, they are known for thier Prime Rib dinner, they do have other items. The prime rib dinner comes with Salad, Mash Potatos, Yorkshire pudding, creamy horseradish, they have 5 different cuts to choose from. However, they serve this from a speical Roasted Prime Ribs of Beef served tableside from gleaming silver carts. Trully an experience worth going for.

We started off with typical Shrimp Cocktail, 5 very large shrimp.

Then I had the Lawry's Cut, cook perfectly medium rare.

Signature C.C. Browns Hot Fudge Sundae.

Now I have to say that Lawrys is a typical American fair food but done very well.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:14 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Senderens (Place Madeleine in Paris). EUR 160 for tasting menu which includes wines matched to each course. While the food was superb, the most interesting aspect was how the flavour of wine changed with the food. Sometimes quite dramatic difference for the same wine drunk before and after the food course (always better with food).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.