Chowhound - ranking the fast food cheeseburgers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chowhound - ranking the fast food cheeseburgers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
The Habit shouldn't have gotten #3 . Very bland burgers, IMO. They even managed to make the pineapple on a teriyaki burger have no taste whatsoever, which I didn't think was possible.

That said, their salads are surprisingly good. I'd probably go back for those, just not the burgers.
While not as expensive overall as Five Guys, The Habit tends to be a little pricier than average though I can't speak for their burgers. Their chicken or fish sandwiches with the fried green beans are my go-to choices.

I guess that I'll click on the article because the McDonald's result might be based on their quarter pounder which now uses fresh beef in many restaurants for that burger (Wendy's twitter account gave them hell for it) and it definitely helps the taste.

IMO this list is a top 8 and the rest are also-rans. I'd respect Five Guys and their premium pricing more if their burgers had a premium taste sans cheese. Or even better if they offered real cheese options instead of the shelf stable variety at present. That would go with their customization theme quite well, I think.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Les Cinq Garcons?
Non!

UK sourced potatoes didn’t seem as good as the Idaho ones I’m used to. Burger seemed about the same.

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Making the rounds on Facebook. Link is

https://www.chowhound.com/pictures/cheeseburgers-ranked

but to spare the click-baityness, here is what Chowhound says:

1. In-N-Out
2. Five Guys
3. The Habit
4. Fatburger
5. Dicks
6. Burger King
7. Wendy's
8. Jack in the Box
9. Shake Shack
10. McDonalds
11. Steak n Shake
12. Checkers
13. Culvers
14. Smashburger
15. Hardees
16. Carl's Jr.
17. Sonic
18. Burgerville
19. Elevation
20. Whataburger
21. White Castle
22. Krystal
23. Freddy's
24. Dairy Queen
25. A&W

McDonalds at 10 above Carl's Jr, Whataburger, and others is laughable, in my opinion. I much prefer Sonic even to McDonalds

Looking at those pics makes me glad I don't live in the USA. Would have a hard time containing myself. What we get here, the Byrons, Burgista Bros, etc. just don't cut it, IMO. At least Five Guys is making some inroads
I’ve had all of the top 17, except no Dicks for me.

Haven’t heard of Dicks, Burgerville, Elevation or Freddy’s.

I ate lots of Whataburger in the late 80’s to 90’s. At the time, I thought their burgers were better than other readily available drive thru places. They also had a great chicken sandwich.

I went to one recently after at least 5 years of abstaining, and ordered my previous favorites, and was totally disappointed. Perhaps I’m much pickier now, or perhaps they just suck.

I find myself heading to Chick-fil-a most often, as their drive thru is quite speedy, and the food is good. There’s a In-n-out and Habit within spitting distance. Plus McDonalds, Burger King, and 5 Guys within a mile. 5 Guys is the only one I’ll drive out of my way for.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 25, 2017 at 9:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reinmedia
I just discovered a new burger joint in Santa Monica called HiHo Cheeseburger. While it's not a chain (yet) it is definitely one, if not the best burgers I've ever had. It's 100% better than In-N-Out.
That looks interesting...might be worth a field trip.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:57 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

In-n-out, shake shack, five guys. Unfortunately I can’t get in-n-out that much, but these are the only chain places I’ll get a burger other than a bar or restaurant, or local burger joint. Had a great happy hour special last night: $12 for a burger and a pint of good craft beer—the same price as five guys!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Culver's cheese curds and concretes are amazing. Their burgers (and really the rest of the menu)...not such much.
You have to subscribe to the theory that the Maillard reaction is the source of delicious beef flavor. Thin patties, lots of crust. People who prefer thick burgers tend not to like Culver's.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by corky
That looks interesting...might be worth a field trip.
I've been to most of the Top 50 Burgers in LA and this one is right up there if not at the top. Definitely worth it IMHO.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
You have to subscribe to the theory that the Maillard reaction is the source of delicious beef flavor. Thin patties, lots of crust. People who prefer thick burgers tend not to like Culver's.
I would say the same is true of Steak n Shake. It also helps to like shoestring fries.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
I tend to divide the burger universe by price. There are the over $5 burgers and the under $5 burgers.
That's kind of how I view the burger universe too.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
No mention of Cookout or Backyard Burgers. Cookout has a few dozen outlets in 10 Southeastern states, including one in Morristown TN where my youngest son lives. Pretty nice chain, somewhere on the cusp of $5 and you get a lot for that. Good fries. Awesome shakes.
I fully agree with BamaVol's description of Cookout, though Wikipedia says they now have 211 locations. They started in NC and recently opened a few locations around Atlanta -- before they arrived here, we would patronize them when we were in SC and NC. They directly compete against the big fast food places (BK, McD's, Taco Bell) and are usually sited near or next to the big chains. Similar pricing and similar locations as the national chains, but usually much better food IMHO.

Cookout is not as consistent as McD's --who is?-- and they can get overrun during special events. Don't try to eat at a rural one on a Friday night after the local high school's football game ends! Like Chik-fil-a, they do push their faith with details like small bible quotes on wrappings, but they are not as blatant about it as Chik-fil-a -- Cookout is open on Sundays.
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Its hard to decide if a $10 burger is really twice as good as a $4 burger.
In Atlanta, CookOut is the chain where we go for $4 burgers. For the closer to $10 burger, we head to Farmburger -- they're about the same price as Five Guys, but so much better!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain

In Atlanta, CookOut is the chain where we go for $4 burgers. For the closer to $10 burger, we head to Farmburger -- they're about the same price as Five Guys, but so much better!
With only 11 locations, it'll be difficult for me to align my schedule but if their beef is any good, the finished product may indeed warrant a try. Love the cheese options which is what I said Five Guys lacked. Also, the pimento cheese fries sound interesting.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oreto
With only 11 locations, it'll be difficult for me to align my schedule but if their beef is any good, the finished product may indeed warrant a try. Love the cheese options which is what I said Five Guys lacked. Also, the pimento cheese fries sound interesting.

Thanks for the heads up!
I went to Five Guys yesterday and was thinking to myself that I would have sprung for a more substantial bun if available. Great burger but the bun was a bit soggy.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:04 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
After moving from Southern California to South Florida, I missed the flame-broiled, big-seeded-bun, thousand-island-dressing coated burgers you get at any dive burger place in the LA area (like at Farmer Boys, for locals who have those). I couldn't even explain to co-workers what the burger was like--they just didn't get it. Finally a Habit opened by me. That's the closest thing to the LA dive burger you can get in South Florida.

And In-n-Out rules.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by javabytes
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I would say the same is true of Steak n Shake. It also helps to like shoestring fries.
Yup. If given a choice, I will choose Steak 'n Shake burgers over Culver's any day of the week.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I like In-N-Out a lot and would probably put then at #1. However, I would put both Shake-Shack and Smashburger ahead of Five-Guys. To see Wendy’s, Jack In the Box and Burger King ahead of Shake Shack and Smashbuger is crazy to me.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by OTD
After moving from Southern California to South Florida, I missed the flame-broiled, big-seeded-bun, thousand-island-dressing coated burgers you get at any dive burger place in the LA area (like at Farmer Boys, for locals who have those). I couldn't even explain to co-workers what the burger was like--they just didn't get it. Finally a Habit opened by me. That's the closest thing to the LA dive burger you can get in South Florida.

And In-n-Out rules.
YES!!!!!!!^^^

Jim's Burger, Galaxy Hamburgers, et al. Any of the mostly Greek owned burger joints in the greater LA area. You know you found a good one if a) they serve breakfast plates, b) they serve some Mexican food, c) they have pastrami, and d) they have fried chicken. If you download the menu from http://www.galaxyhamburgers.com/ ,you will see the perfect example. The burgers from most any of these places are the best in the world IMO, and better than In-N-Out, which is as close as you will find in a chain.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I don't look to Chowhound as a reliable authority on much of anything anymore.

It used to be a fantastic resource - you could get good tips on where to go, pretty much anywhere. It seems the last website revision, a few years back, drove many regular contributors away??
Sweet Willie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.