Chowhound - ranking the fast food cheeseburgers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chowhound - ranking the fast food cheeseburgers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Scratching my head over the low ranking of Steak & Shake. And I never have understood the fascination with In-n-Out.
I've never had a great burger at Steak & Shake.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
A Krystal is just plain nasty. If you don't believe me, order one without mustard.

I have seen one recently. I think the burger is average but appreciate any place with a condiments bar where I can dress it my way.

I don't see Red Robin on the list. Because the menu is less than 50% hamburgers perhaps? I give them extra points for having a full bar anywhere I've visited. That means my grandson and I can both get what we want.
I like Red Robin because I can get more than a standard burger.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by TiberiusOnTime
Gourmet burger joints?? I'm still trying to figure out what makes Whataburger or In N' Out "gourmet"
Even in Texas, I don't think anyone has ever called Whataburger gourmet.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
These lists make me laugh and they are completely silly. It's COMPLETELY subjective. One who likes a McD's burger may hate in and out and the next guy may be the opposite.

I don't even know why these lists are posted but it's probably to for ad revenue. By clicking the link on facebook to leave a comment. By getting everyone riled up it only helps the poster of the OP.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I tend to divide the burger universe by price. There are the over $5 burgers and the under $5 burgers. Its hard to decide if a $10 burger is really twice as good as a $4 burger.

If I'm in a hurry a Burger King drive through is quicker than Five Guys. The biggest issue with the drive thru places is freshness. A Basic double cheeseburger at a BK that is crowded and busy is pretty good because it's hot off the grill and it costs $2. I think it's much better than a Whopper. But all if them drop quickly once they've been sitting for 5 minutes or more.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight

If I'm in a hurry a Burger King drive through is quicker than Five Guys. The biggest issue with the drive thru places is freshness. A Basic double cheeseburger at a BK that is crowded and busy is pretty good because it's hot off the grill and it costs $2. I think it's much better than a Whopper. But all if them drop quickly once they've been sitting for 5 minutes or more.
It's more than how long it's been sitting under the heat lamp. Many of the "under $5" places use frozen beef, while at least some of the "over $5" use never-frozen beef. I'm sure there are other quality differences that contribute to the taste.

In any case, I agree with your classification. Places like Five Guys are on the high end, Wendy's on the low end, and then a whole bunch that you could make an argument for either class, such as Whataburger.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
5 names on that list I've never heard of, I'm personally shocked & now curious.
I'm personally shocked and now curious which ones those are!

Originally Posted by rjque
Burgerville should be 1 or 2. McDonalds shouldn't even be on the list
I grew up with Burgerville and whatever they are now contains not a single cell of anything recognizable of the original. Last time I stopped by the one in my childhood hometown for a swiss and mushroom burger was waste of time and money. I'd rather put up with the brain rattling music at local chain Little Big Burger for the same thing + the damn best truffle shoestrings for the same price.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
5 Guys Cheeseburger in France is $14. It makes $9 seem like a bargain.
Les Cinq Garcons?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Any list that has Burger King at #6 can't be taken seriously... let alone one with McDonald's over Culvers.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by javabytes
let alone one with McDonald's over Culvers.
Culver's cheese curds and concretes are amazing. Their burgers (and really the rest of the menu)...not such much.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
No mention of Cookout or Backyard Burgers. Cookout has a few dozen outlets in 10 Southeastern states, including one in Morristown TN where my youngest son lives. Pretty nice chain, somewhere on the cusp of $5 and you get a lot for that. Good fries. Awesome shakes. BYB is smaller, maybe a couple dozen over 9 states in the Midwest and Southeast. They're more quick service and inexpensive but good IMO. We have one at the beach and now that I'm thinking about it, maybe that's where tonight's dinner is coming from. ^
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:05 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

I just discovered a new burger joint in Santa Monica called HiHo Cheeseburger. While it's not a chain (yet) it is definitely one, if not the best burgers I've ever had. It's 100% better than In-N-Out.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BamaVol
No mention of Cookout or Backyard Burgers. Cookout has a few dozen outlets in 10 Southeastern states, including one in Morristown TN where my youngest son lives. Pretty nice chain, somewhere on the cusp of $5 and you get a lot for that. Good fries. Awesome shakes. BYB is smaller, maybe a couple dozen over 9 states in the Midwest and Southeast. They're more quick service and inexpensive but good IMO. We have one at the beach and now that I'm thinking about it, maybe that's where tonight's dinner is coming from. ^
Backyard Burgers had some rough years where it looked like they would completely shut down. In fact all of the ones in my area did close, although thankfully one near me reopened in the last year.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by JBord
It's more than how long it's been sitting under the heat lamp. Many of the "under $5" places use frozen beef, while at least some of the "over $5" use never-frozen beef. I'm sure there are other quality differences that contribute to the taste.

In any case, I agree with your classification. Places like Five Guys are on the high end, Wendy's on the low end, and then a whole bunch that you could make an argument for either class, such as Whataburger.
How can you categorize Whataburger any differently from Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, etc.? It's the exact same market segment.

If nothing else, I would look to geography, demography and market penetration to categorize burger joints.

In markets where they compete, how densely populated are certain chains?

In what type of locations do you see their stores? Are there large numbers of outlets in poorer neighborhoods or just off freeway interchanges? Or do the outlets concentrate in and around more upscale suburban retail centers?

No burger restaurant with the ubiquity and real estate siting preferences of Whataburger can be categorized as anything other than a low-end high-volume mass market fast food joint.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
How can you categorize Whataburger any differently from Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, etc.? It's the exact same market segment.
I'm fine with that categorization. Point is there are two lists mixed into one. Whataburger is near the top of the cheap list if that's where you put it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by wrp96
Backyard Burgers had some rough years where it looked like they would completely shut down. In fact all of the ones in my area did close, although thankfully one near me reopened in the last year.
I was shocked at how few stores showed up on their website map, maybe 30. I visited BYB the first time in the late 80's in Knoxville. I would have expected a hundred or more by now. SO what you're saying rings true. I'm glad we have one in PCB. I need to get over there and help keep them open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.