18. Burgerville
19. Elevation
20. Whataburger
21. White Castle
22. Krystal
23. Freddy's
24. Dairy Queen
25. A&W

McDonalds at 10 above Carl's Jr, Whataburger, and others is laughable, in my opinion. I much prefer Sonic even to McDonalds

Looking at those pics makes me glad I don't live in the USA. Would have a hard time containing myself. What we get here, the Byrons, Burgista Bros, etc. just don't cut it, IMO. At least Five Guys is making some inroads

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Oct 19, 2017 at 1:08 am
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is something simple and good about a McD's cheeseburger. Price helps, too.

I just had a Five Guys bacon cheeseburger on Tuesday. They have gotten incredibly expensive ($9 not including fries). It's a very good burger, with the added bonus of so many more condiments available compred to In-N-Out. That said, In-N-Out still wins. Baby Swede also had a bacon cheeseburger, and she said she prefers In-N-Out, too.

I had Culver's last week. Their patties always taste... burnt.

Being the oddball that I am, I would also rank White Castle much higher (seriously, like #4 or #5 ).
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Smashburger at #14 --- 4 lower than McDonalds???

Laughable.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:03 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
5 names on that list I've never heard of, I'm personally shocked & now curious.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I disagree with a lot of these.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
5 names on that list I've never heard of, I'm personally shocked & now curious.
Inclding, for me, two in the top five.

The list is not the same one I would draw up and I find it incredible that premade food like Burger King or McDonalds have a place anywhere on the list.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The Habit shouldn't have gotten #3 . Very bland burgers, IMO. They even managed to make the pineapple on a teriyaki burger have no taste whatsoever, which I didn't think was possible.

That said, their salads are surprisingly good. I'd probably go back for those, just not the burgers.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:40 am
Original Poster

I looked at the article again and it makes reference several times to the results of Consumer Reports taste tests. Went to Consumer Reports and they say that the popularity of McDonalds, Wendy's, and Burger King is primarily with older people who grew up eating those burgers. Makes sense, I guess. I still have a fondness for Wendy's.

Of the places I've never heard of, Freddy's burger looks pretty good to me and I like that Smashburger uses red onion. I also use red onion on my homemade gourmet burger, along with toasted brioche bun.

Two that seem utterly unappealing to me are Checkers and Dicks.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scratching my head over the low ranking of Steak & Shake. And I never have understood the fascination with In-n-Out.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Smashburger at #14 --- 4 lower than McDonalds???

Laughable.
This is a surprise but I have never had a "great" burger at Smash. Also how is Krystal even on the list, is what they serve considered food????
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
This is a surprise but I have never had a "great" burger at Smash. Also how is Krystal even on the list, is what they serve considered food????
Maybe they had to really stretch to get that nice round number of 25. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other burger chains not represented on the list. I take that back, yes I can - Johnny Rocket's. I quite like their burger.

Don't see Fuddruckers. Are they still around?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
hmm... I quite like Smashburger. Pretty much my go-to place when I need a quick fix of grease. Tasty.

For sure they are leaps better than Burger King, McDonalds, etc.

If this list was compiled solely based on taste (and not other inputs like value, etc), then I truly don't understand.

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Maybe they had to really stretch to get that nice round number of 25. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other burger chains not represented on the list. I take that back, yes I can - Johnny Rocket's. I quite like their burger.

I think there are still some Fuddruckers around, but not sure I would consider them fast-food...though there is some ambiguity around the term.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:06 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Two that seem utterly unappealing to me are Checkers and Dicks.
For me, Checkers & Whattaburger are all about the burger as a whole being greater than than the sum of its parts, crisp texture/dare I say tasty produce being very important to me.
yes and good catch^ For folks that prefer thick patties over thin, Fuddruckers will cook to MR (at least they used to), I was always pleased with Fuddruckers, plus they have a terrific pico de gallo mix at the toppings bar. http://www.fuddruckers.com
-
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
A Krystal is just plain nasty. If you don't believe me, order one without mustard.

I have seen one recently. I think the burger is average but appreciate any place with a condiments bar where I can dress it my way.

I don't see Red Robin on the list. Because the menu is less than 50% hamburgers perhaps? I give them extra points for having a full bar anywhere I've visited. That means my grandson and I can both get what we want.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I don't see Red Robin on the list. Because the menu is less than 50% hamburgers perhaps? I give them extra points for having a full bar anywhere I've visited. That means my grandson and I can both get what we want.
I like Red Robin. Ate at one on my last trip to St. Louis. Might not be considered fast-food for the purpose of this survey, though.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
For me, Checkers & Whattaburger are all about the burger as a whole being greater than than the sum of its parts, -
I don't like over-sauced burgers, particularly with thousand island, and that was how Checker's was described in the survey. Sounds like it is much better than described

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 20, 2017 at 1:59 pm Reason: merge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.