FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Cash-only restaurants (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1871113-cash-only-restaurants.html)

Need Oct 16, 2017 7:27 am

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 28932767)
Wonder if this is really just a way to keep out riffraff more than anything else?

Keep out theft and robbery. With credit card transactions the owners will be less worried about the cashiers or managers pocketing some of the money. Also with bartenders too. And when you have no money at the site, no one will try to rob you. It also makes IRS audit easier when you don't have cash income.

milepig Oct 16, 2017 8:55 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 28911515)
Typically cash-only restaurants are inexpensive. They're street vendors, quick lunch lines, etc. I try not to commit to spending targets so aggressive that I need to find ways to charge even small purchases or make purchases I normally would not make.

Maybe a true guy with a push card, but if you extend "street vendor" to food truck, they all have the card swipe cubes on their cell phones.

tentseller Oct 17, 2017 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 28937961)
Keep out theft and robbery. With credit card transactions the owners will be less worried about the cashiers or managers pocketing some of the money. Also with bartenders too. And when you have no money at the site, no one will try to rob you. It also makes IRS audit easier when you don't have cash income.

That is the small family restaurant owner's dilemma: getting rob by robbers or the local government.

darthbimmer Oct 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 28938283)
Maybe a true guy with a push card, but if you extend "street vendor" to food truck, they all have the card swipe cubes on their cell phones.

I'm talking globally. Yes, newly hip food trucks in US cities take credit cards; it's part of their calculated appeal to the 21st century young, urban, professional market. But traditional street vendors in many other parts of the world are routinely cash-only.

Annalisa12 Oct 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot (Post 28911752)
Why would you spend money (either cash or by cc) on a crap product? I'd pay cash for the good food and find another way to use my cc to get the bonus.

Same.

One night's dinner won't surely be a massive spend to put towards your cc bonus?

GadgetFreak Oct 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 28911678)
I think Peter Lugar's only accepts cash or their own credit card.

I've run into a few places that only take cash and they could be expensive or inexpensive.

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 28912311)
I haven't seen any high end restaurants that only accepted cash. There are a few inexpensive places here that are like that. I've eaten there. The food was good.

If I was hypothetically on the last day of a CC promo and 1 meal short of reaching a spend bonus, I would look for an alternative to spending $10-15 on "crap" food. If I couldn't find one, I'd buy the "crap" food. I probably wouldn't eat it though.

These days with Square virtually everywhere, I come across fewer and fewer cash only businesses.

Originally Posted by oh_lol (Post 28927171)
Wait, Peter Luger's has their own branded CC? :eek:

I haven’t been to Peter Luger for a few years but I’ve been going there on and off since the mid-90s and it was always cash or their own credit card. It isn’t like a Peter Luger branded Visa or Master Card credit card from what I can tell (I always just paid cash) but rather a store card like Department stores used to have before MC and Visa took over.

robcheshire Nov 9, 2017 3:32 am

It is very hard to view a semi-decent restaurant that is "cash only" as anything other than a tax-dodge. Surely such businesses will attract more than their share of thorough audits from the Revenue?

Interestingly; many of the more trendy craft beer bars in Scandinavia (where I spend more time than is good for me!) are now "cards only" and refuse to handle cash at all.

JBord Nov 9, 2017 6:32 am

Originally Posted by robcheshire (Post 29039083)
Interestingly; many of the more trendy craft beer bars in Scandinavia (where I spend more time than is good for me!) are now "cards only" and refuse to handle cash at all.

This is definitely the beginning of an unfortunate trend. I'm starting to see it occasionally, but more often in hotels, airports, etc. than restaurants.

s0ssos Nov 9, 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 28931348)
That's a strange business decision.

I wonder if that's even legal, and if it's ever been challenged. It's hard to believe you can sell goods or services in the US and discriminate against someone who wants to use US money.

That's funny. You appear to be on a forum where people fly. Presumably you have recently been on a plane? Possibly operated by a US carrier where you can pay money for little food items? Ever notice what they take, or do not take, as means of payment?

s0ssos Nov 9, 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol (Post 28927171)
Wait, Peter Luger's has their own branded CC? :eek:

It isn't a credit card, per se. Just their own card. But they have the ability to give you credit, as in the T&C it says they charge 1.5% per month for unpaid bills.

JBord Nov 9, 2017 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 29039530)
That's funny. You appear to be on a forum where people fly. Presumably you have recently been on a plane? Possibly operated by a US carrier where you can pay money for little food items? Ever notice what they take, or do not take, as means of payment?

Of course. That doesn't make it any easier to believe that a business would turn down legal tender and only take an electronic representation of that legal tender, with a promise from a bank to be reimbursed a day or so later. I'll accept cold, hard cash any time. :)

Your money is LITERALLY no good here!

One of the reasons I questioned the legality is there are a lot of people who don't have credit cards (or bank accounts), particularly those under 18 years old. Can you imagine if fast food and pizza places stopped selling to teenagers?

To your point, if a teenager, with cash, flying alone on a plane can't buy a snack, is that discrimination? He offered to pay for it with legal tender. I'm sure it's legal, but it wouldn't surprise me if this causes some disputes if we keep moving toward a cashless society.

And by the way, business practices are challenged in court all the time. Just because airlines do something doesn't mean it's legal (although I'm sure it is in that case).

HomerJay Nov 9, 2017 6:58 pm

Two of my favorite local icons are cash only.

In Pittsburgh, you really don't want to pass up breakfast at Pamela's. The hotcakes are a life-changing experience. Cash only. So what? It's the best breakfast in town, so do it. If I had to pay in pennies for a Pam's hotcake, I'd do it.

And here in DC, you're gonna have to pay cash for that Chili Half Smoke at Ben's Chili Bowl. But you gotta do what you gotta do. With mustard and onions, please.

Local and regional favorites count for more than a few points or miles on your credit card. There's plenty of other opportunities to get your rewards points without missing out on great local stuff.

s0ssos Nov 9, 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 29042217)
Of course. That doesn't make it any easier to believe that a business would turn down legal tender and only take an electronic representation of that legal tender, with a promise from a bank to be reimbursed a day or so later. I'll accept cold, hard cash any time. :)

Your money is LITERALLY no good here!

One of the reasons I questioned the legality is there are a lot of people who don't have credit cards (or bank accounts), particularly those under 18 years old. Can you imagine if fast food and pizza places stopped selling to teenagers?

To your point, if a teenager, with cash, flying alone on a plane can't buy a snack, is that discrimination? He offered to pay for it with legal tender. I'm sure it's legal, but it wouldn't surprise me if this causes some disputes if we keep moving toward a cashless society.

And by the way, business practices are challenged in court all the time. Just because airlines do something doesn't mean it's legal (although I'm sure it is in that case).

Haha, you can say that again. But it means most people accept it

It is not just teens, what about foreigners without credit cards? In many countries there are actually requirements to get cards, not like in the US where your dog can sign up. Is that the same as saying you have to speak English to order?

robcheshire Nov 9, 2017 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 29042217)
.... a lot of people who don't have credit cards (or bank accounts), particularly those under 18 years old.

UK banks issue debit cards to kids from 11 years old.

I appreciate that my two teens are not representative of society as a whole, but they regard cash as rather quaint and old-fashioned, and both prefer to live in a 100% digital World.

Low Roller Nov 10, 2017 4:26 am

Originally Posted by robcheshire (Post 29042977)
UK banks issue debit cards to kids from 11 years old.

I appreciate that my two teens are not representative of society as a whole, but they regard cash as rather quaint and old-fashioned, and both prefer to live in a 100% digital World.

It's very common in Canada for young children to have debit cards. If they're old enough to pay at a restaurant, they probably have a card. Even Monopoly now has an electronic banking version since playing with paper money seems so last century!