FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Is there food you take with you on a trip? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1869002-there-food-you-take-you-trip.html)

BamaVol Sep 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Is there food you take with you on a trip?

I don't bring anything with me although I tend to bring food and drink back from faraway places.

I noticed someone posted traveling with Raisin Bran. Mrs BV does the same. She takes Oatmeal Crisp with Almonds and Braggs Apple Cider vinegar. Keeps her regular and heartburn free and she doesn't have to worry about finding a source at her destination.

Eastbay1K Sep 26, 2017 7:15 pm

I take a box of Trader Joe's cereal and some coffee with me to Argentina. I also take a bunch of chocolate and other sweet treats (mostly from TJs) to Argentina, and at my friends' place for dinner, you've never seen people eff up food like this - 3 sisters (in the 50+ category) fighting over the leftovers. Same with the Lindt balls and Ferrero Rocher "Costco-sized" packs that another friend brings.

corky Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pm

I start every single day of my life with a half of a TJ's dark chocolate bar. Every single day it's the first thing I do when I wake up. So I always take enough to last me through the trip.

bensyd Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Vegemite. I usually toss a travel tube of it in my suitcase. If I have access to Vegemite then I won't go for the big, full breakfast, and I'll just have toast.

BadgerBoi Sep 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd (Post 28862925)
Vegemite. I usually toss a travel tube of it in my suitcase. If I have access to Vegemite then I won't go for the big, full breakfast, and I'll just have toast.

(sigh) we're such clichés :) - I don't take it with me but I always scout the food halls for it.

tentseller Sep 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Now that I am an expat(sea turtle) I do the expat thing of visiting Costco stateside and maxing out our FF Status extra baggage allowance.

Lindt's dark 90%
Olive salad for muffuletta
real New York or Montreal style bagels
real 100% maple syrup
Thick cut ribeyes

lhrsfo Sep 27, 2017 2:06 am

When going to my vacation home in California, I always bring tea - you just can't get decent tea in the USA. Otherwise I tend to travel with some GF biscuits in case of emergency.

HarryEvans Sep 27, 2017 3:59 am

Chocolate Bar!

nlkm9 Sep 27, 2017 5:09 am

protein bars in case I am stuck somewhere with no food. always have some on hand in my suitcase.

barnotes Sep 27, 2017 7:03 am

Sea Salt and hazlenut Chocolate to have with my coffee

FlyingDoctorwu Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am

My wife takes peanut butter.. she loves her peanut butter...

we did discover that it's considered a "liquid" a number of years back....

FDW

Mary2e Sep 27, 2017 10:32 am

I always take a bag of almonds in the event I get hungry.

If the hotel has a keurig coffee pot & I have room I bring my own pods because I often don't like those provided.

Bear4Asian Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am

Coffee beans from a good Seattle (non-Starbucks) coffee shop. Dark chocolate (Bag of Dove pieces) to go with my morning coffee. Protein bars. Sam's Club large containers of mixed nuts.

Bluehen1 Sep 27, 2017 1:28 pm

The only time I have to bring food with me when I travel is when I'm on a road trip. They require a bag of Twizzlers. If I haven't bought it in advance, it's the first stop before we hit the road. It is, somewhat, in memory of my great aunt that took me on my first real road trip in the summer of 1978 as we went from central NJ to Boothbay Harbor ME in her Camaro (she was 66) to visit former neighbors of hers. She was stocked with two types of Twizzlers and since then I have to have them on road trips.

FlyingDoctorwu Sep 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian (Post 28865249)
Coffee beans from a good Seattle (non-Starbucks) coffee shop. Dark chocolate (Bag of Dove pieces) to go with my morning coffee. Protein bars. Sam's Club large containers of mixed nuts.

What's your coffee shop of choice in Seattle? it's been a long time since I've lived there but I was always partial to Vivace (and my wife still orders from their for my birthday/Father's day/Xmas)

FDW

cubbie Sep 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Candy, for when I'm reading in bed. Could be Dots, Jujubees, Good & Plenty, Mike & Ike's, Hot Tamales. A little carton or mini bottle of white wine to go with it.

darthbimmer Sep 27, 2017 10:49 pm

I try to keep some emergency food in my bag when I travel. For example, a protein bar or a small package of almonds, for whenever I'm hungry and there's nothing halfway nutritious that I like that doesn't cost some ridiculous price and/or require going unacceptably far out of my way. When I travel to locations where I'm really uncertain about the quality or desirability of food available (e.g., unfamiliar foreign countries) I'll pack three.

bensyd Sep 28, 2017 12:34 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 28863044)
(sigh) we're such clichés :) - I don't take it with me but I always scout the food halls for it.

Take it with you. It's a nice bit of Australiana wherever you may find yourself.^;)

BadgerBoi Sep 28, 2017 12:44 am

Originally Posted by bensyd (Post 28867933)
Take it with you. It's a nice bit of Australiana wherever you may find yourself.^;)

a confession - I don't buy it overseas, I just like the comfort of knowing that I could have if I really needed it. I'm weird. (A travel tube is a good idea though)

FLYMSY Sep 28, 2017 8:39 am

This is what I bring to friends in Europe:
Mickle's Pickles - Ghost Pickles
Michael's Pickles
Pickled okra that I buy at a farmers market - highly spiced
Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
Zatarain's Jambalaya mix
Dorignac's (or any other brand, really) olive salad - for muffulettas, however, there are a number of great other dishes to use it in.
Schexnayder's South Louisiana Hurricane Sauce
Aunt Sally's Original Creole Pralines

This is what I bring back from Europe, mainly Germany & Switzerland:
Müsli
Caotina Original
Caotina Noir
Bautz'ner Senf - both scharf and mittelscharf
Wine
Monkey 47 gin
Dark chocolate - not bars as I prefer the individual pralines. Also, I usually only buy from the small shops.
Cheese

BamaVol Sep 28, 2017 9:47 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 28869110)
This is what I bring to friends in Europe:
Mickle's Pickles - Ghost Pickles
Michael's Pickles
Pickled okra that I buy at a farmers market - highly spiced
Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
Zatarain's Jambalaya mix
Dorignac's (or any other brand, really) olive salad - for muffulettas, however, there are a number of great other dishes to use it in.
Schexnayder's South Louisiana Hurricane Sauce
Aunt Sally's Original Creole Pralines

This is what I bring back from Europe, mainly Germany & Switzerland:
Müsli
Caotina Original
Caotina Noir
Bautz'ner Senf - both scharf and mittelscharf
Wine
Monkey 47 gin
Dark chocolate - not bars as I prefer the individual pralines. Also, I usually only buy from the small shops.
Cheese

What, no Community coffee?

I know what most of this stuff is. I find Tony Chachere's seasoning way too salty and I have no idea how to pronounce Schexnayder and would like to know.

Bear4Asian Sep 28, 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 28865941)
What's your coffee shop of choice in Seattle? it's been a long time since I've lived there but I was always partial to Vivace (and my wife still orders from their for my birthday/Father's day/Xmas)

FDW

My favorites are Cafe Ladro. There are several locations in Seattle

http://www.caffeladro.com/?_ga=2.203...507.1506620723

And Victrola Coffee. They also have several locations.

https://www.victrolacoffee.com

They both have single origin coffees. My coffee taste has evolved from dark roast (typical of Starbucks) to light roast. Yirgacheffe is my favorite coffee these days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coff...on_in_Ethiopia

FLYMSY Sep 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 28869391)
What, no Community coffee?

I know what most of this stuff is. I find Tony Chachere's seasoning way too salty and I have no idea how to pronounce Schexnayder and would like to know.

I'm not a coffee drinker ;) and when my friends have visited, they wanted their usual espresso. Required a bunch of stops throughout the day. :D

The friends love Tony's and repeatedly ask me to bring it, as well as, the Hurricane Sauce, which you'll probably have to buy in a South Louisiana grocery.

Shhhex-nigh-der. Hope that helps.

james89 Sep 28, 2017 10:12 pm

I usually mule Seattle beer (Fremont) and coffee (friends are partial to Vita) when I travel to visit friends on the East Coast.

When it's low-cost carrier day, Snickers bars are my go-to. If I'm flying out of Germany there's this spicy (on German standards) nut mix I pick up from the MUC Edeka. Always some Kinder Buenos on the way back, too.

Kagehitokiri Oct 3, 2017 9:04 am

depends on trip.. where, length, what is one eating there..

to eat on plane is separate question, similarly varies by length

not checking luggage is a limiting factor on possibilities

365RoadWarrior Oct 5, 2017 2:11 am

As a strict vegetarian working in Faya Largeau (presently in N'Djamena), food is all I pack. Vegan MREs.

Stampy Oct 5, 2017 10:22 am

Not food, but I bubble wrap 2-3 neuro sleep bottles in my checked luggage for combating jetlag. http://www.drinkneuro.com/product/sleep/

Personally the drink is more effective for my body than one single pill of melatonin to prevent the 2-3 am wakeups. Only problem I can only use it at the hotel, not onboard the flight due to carryon liquid regulations.

crabbing Oct 8, 2017 9:01 pm

marriage to someone with a serious dairy allergy has taught me to always bring safe foods along. typically kimbab and apples for the flight, udi's bagels for breakfast, and various vegan snacks as well. we also bring our own instant coffee, since hotel coffee is unpredictable.

CDTraveler Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 28863590)
When going to my vacation home in California, I always bring tea - you just can't get decent tea in the USA. Otherwise I tend to travel with some GF biscuits in case of emergency.

You can get decent teas in the US, but it's not always easy. Ever tea shopped in SF's Chinatown? I'm talking upper end tea stores, not corner groceries. Some of the Lupicia teas are also good.

I understand packing the GF biscuits. Brought home a supply from trip to UK this summer and after having sampled some of the ranges of GF goods there, am contemplating a trip back just to stock up on the GF crumpets which can not be found anywhere in the US.

Duke787 Oct 10, 2017 4:55 pm

For international, I typically take a few of either Justin's or Barney Butter for emergency snacks and meals if necessary.

When we went to China in 2015 we also took a fair number of Nature Valley bars.

And we always bring some good Neuhaus chocalate as a little special treat for a fun international trip.

For domestic I only bring food if I'm going to be far away from any sort of civilization with a grocery store

tcl Oct 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 28863173)
Now that I am an expat(sea turtle) I do the expat thing of visiting Costco stateside and maxing out our FF Status extra baggage allowance.

Lindt's dark 90%
Olive salad for muffuletta
real New York or Montreal style bagels
real 100% maple syrup
Thick cut ribeyes

+1

Outside of schlepping foodstuffs for friends and relatives, I bring my own tea (bagged or loose) along with a dual voltage mini kettle in my carry-on. In my carry-on I also have a handful of fiber pills and a few snacks such as individually packaged nuts, a snack bar or two and of course some emergency chocolate.

aquamarinesteph Oct 15, 2017 12:58 am

When we travel, Mr. Aquamarine always packs Sweet & Low (not a food, but necessary for his coffee). We also pack emergency granola bars in our carry on bags in case we're stuck somewhere during off hours when finding an open restaurant isn't possible or convenient due to scheduling issues.

I love to bring back wine (from any country) and olive oil saltines from Italy.

My great aunt ALWAYS traveled with a large jar of peanut butter in her luggage. While she was an adventurous soul as far as travel was concerned, her sense of adventure did not always extend to the available food choices in other countries.

PatMcrotch Oct 15, 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by corky (Post 28862889)
I start every single day of my life with a half of a TJ's dark chocolate bar. Every single day it's the first thing I do when I wake up. So I always take enough to last me through the trip.

Why do you do this?

firecracker725 Oct 15, 2017 6:24 am

I always travel with beef jerky and some type of nut. Most of the time I have protein bars as well. I need to eat every 3-4 hours, and I know that good food choices aren't always plentiful. My snacks keep me from scarfing down airport cheeseburgers.

corky Oct 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by PatMcrotch (Post 28934295)
Why do you do this?

Lol..I have no idea. I started doing it at least 10 or more years ago and then it became a ritual. I love the mouth feel and taste of chocolate first thing in the morning. I tell myself that I get bonus points because dark chocolate is an antioxidant. :p
Try it. You're welcome.

BuildingMyBento Oct 17, 2017 2:37 am

Thus far, I have found the three countries in which I spend the most on snacks are the US (though IIRC, the UK has good choices, too), Japan, and Turkey.

Currently in Jeddah, I'm chowing on unsweetened dried cherries and mulberries from Turkey, Japanese an donuts, and Trader Joe's dried bananas (TJ's is the source for 95% of my snacking in the US). My backpack is a carbohydrate utopia.

ShopAround Oct 20, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm more of a bring food home person but I do travel with protein bars and small (8 oz) bottles of water, just in case.

Many years ago, I was staying in a hotel where breakfast was expensive and not included in my room rate (and the room had no kettle or coffee maker). I packed some Pop Tarts, a small travel immersion heater, teabags and powdered milk. I'm not a coffee drinker but need tea in the morning.

Scott in LA Oct 24, 2017 5:49 pm

I don't usually bring anything for myself, but more than once I've been asked to bring tortillas to friends working in China.

tentseller Oct 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Look for China-bound luggage of expat family's son/daughter studying in the US going back for American Thanksgiving. The whole dinner is in an insulated shipping box.

Segments Oct 26, 2017 1:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 28864445)
My wife takes peanut butter.. she loves her peanut butter...

we did discover that it's considered a "liquid" a number of years back....

FDW

PB2 and other brands of peanut butter powder solve the TSA liquid issue. Rehydrate with water. Lighter than regular peanut butter makes it a carry on staple. (Chocolate PB2 ... yum!)