Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is there food you take with you on a trip?

Is there food you take with you on a trip?

Old Sep 27, 17, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA
Candy, for when I'm reading in bed. Could be Dots, Jujubees, Good & Plenty, Mike & Ike's, Hot Tamales. A little carton or mini bottle of white wine to go with it.
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I try to keep some emergency food in my bag when I travel. For example, a protein bar or a small package of almonds, for whenever I'm hungry and there's nothing halfway nutritious that I like that doesn't cost some ridiculous price and/or require going unacceptably far out of my way. When I travel to locations where I'm really uncertain about the quality or desirability of food available (e.g., unfamiliar foreign countries) I'll pack three.
Old Sep 28, 17, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
(sigh) we're such clichés - I don't take it with me but I always scout the food halls for it.
Take it with you. It's a nice bit of Australiana wherever you may find yourself.^
Old Sep 28, 17, 1:44 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
Take it with you. It's a nice bit of Australiana wherever you may find yourself.^
a confession - I don't buy it overseas, I just like the comfort of knowing that I could have if I really needed it. I'm weird. (A travel tube is a good idea though)
Old Sep 28, 17, 9:39 am

This is what I bring to friends in Europe:
Mickle's Pickles - Ghost Pickles
Michael's Pickles
Pickled okra that I buy at a farmers market - highly spiced
Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
Zatarain's Jambalaya mix
Dorignac's (or any other brand, really) olive salad - for muffulettas, however, there are a number of great other dishes to use it in.
Schexnayder's South Louisiana Hurricane Sauce
Aunt Sally's Original Creole Pralines

This is what I bring back from Europe, mainly Germany & Switzerland:
Müsli
Caotina Original
Caotina Noir
Bautz'ner Senf - both scharf and mittelscharf
Wine
Monkey 47 gin
Dark chocolate - not bars as I prefer the individual pralines. Also, I usually only buy from the small shops.
Cheese
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
This is what I bring to friends in Europe:
Mickle's Pickles - Ghost Pickles
Michael's Pickles
Pickled okra that I buy at a farmers market - highly spiced
Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
Zatarain's Jambalaya mix
Dorignac's (or any other brand, really) olive salad - for muffulettas, however, there are a number of great other dishes to use it in.
Schexnayder's South Louisiana Hurricane Sauce
Aunt Sally's Original Creole Pralines

This is what I bring back from Europe, mainly Germany & Switzerland:
Müsli
Caotina Original
Caotina Noir
Bautz'ner Senf - both scharf and mittelscharf
Wine
Monkey 47 gin
Dark chocolate - not bars as I prefer the individual pralines. Also, I usually only buy from the small shops.
Cheese
What, no Community coffee?

I know what most of this stuff is. I find Tony Chachere's seasoning way too salty and I have no idea how to pronounce Schexnayder and would like to know.
Old Sep 28, 17, 12:54 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
What's your coffee shop of choice in Seattle? it's been a long time since I've lived there but I was always partial to Vivace (and my wife still orders from their for my birthday/Father's day/Xmas)

FDW
My favorites are Cafe Ladro. There are several locations in Seattle

http://www.caffeladro.com/?_ga=2.203...507.1506620723

And Victrola Coffee. They also have several locations.

https://www.victrolacoffee.com

They both have single origin coffees. My coffee taste has evolved from dark roast (typical of Starbucks) to light roast. Yirgacheffe is my favorite coffee these days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coff...on_in_Ethiopia
Old Sep 28, 17, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
What, no Community coffee?

I know what most of this stuff is. I find Tony Chachere's seasoning way too salty and I have no idea how to pronounce Schexnayder and would like to know.
I'm not a coffee drinker and when my friends have visited, they wanted their usual espresso. Required a bunch of stops throughout the day.

The friends love Tony's and repeatedly ask me to bring it, as well as, the Hurricane Sauce, which you'll probably have to buy in a South Louisiana grocery.

Shhhex-nigh-der. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 28, 17, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
I usually mule Seattle beer (Fremont) and coffee (friends are partial to Vita) when I travel to visit friends on the East Coast.

When it's low-cost carrier day, Snickers bars are my go-to. If I'm flying out of Germany there's this spicy (on German standards) nut mix I pick up from the MUC Edeka. Always some Kinder Buenos on the way back, too.
Old Oct 3, 17, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

depends on trip.. where, length, what is one eating there..

to eat on plane is separate question, similarly varies by length

not checking luggage is a limiting factor on possibilities
Old Oct 5, 17, 3:11 am

As a strict vegetarian working in Faya Largeau (presently in N'Djamena), food is all I pack. Vegan MREs.
Old Oct 5, 17, 11:22 am

Not food, but I bubble wrap 2-3 neuro sleep bottles in my checked luggage for combating jetlag. http://www.drinkneuro.com/product/sleep/

Personally the drink is more effective for my body than one single pill of melatonin to prevent the 2-3 am wakeups. Only problem I can only use it at the hotel, not onboard the flight due to carryon liquid regulations.
Old Oct 8, 17, 10:01 pm

marriage to someone with a serious dairy allergy has taught me to always bring safe foods along. typically kimbab and apples for the flight, udi's bagels for breakfast, and various vegan snacks as well. we also bring our own instant coffee, since hotel coffee is unpredictable.
Old Oct 10, 17, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
When going to my vacation home in California, I always bring tea - you just can't get decent tea in the USA. Otherwise I tend to travel with some GF biscuits in case of emergency.
You can get decent teas in the US, but it's not always easy. Ever tea shopped in SF's Chinatown? I'm talking upper end tea stores, not corner groceries. Some of the Lupicia teas are also good.

I understand packing the GF biscuits. Brought home a supply from trip to UK this summer and after having sampled some of the ranges of GF goods there, am contemplating a trip back just to stock up on the GF crumpets which can not be found anywhere in the US.
Old Oct 10, 17, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
For international, I typically take a few of either Justin's or Barney Butter for emergency snacks and meals if necessary.

When we went to China in 2015 we also took a fair number of Nature Valley bars.

And we always bring some good Neuhaus chocalate as a little special treat for a fun international trip.

For domestic I only bring food if I'm going to be far away from any sort of civilization with a grocery store

Search this Thread
Search Engine: