Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Splitting a Coffee" in a Restaurant?

Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Mrs. Fredd and I were enjoying lunch in an upscale (by local standards) restaurant the other day.

The couple at the next table had finished their main course and asked to split a dessert, then said they would split a coffee as well. They debated regular vs decaf (chose regular), and the server brought them one cup of coffee along with a shared dessert.

She even gave them a refill.

We'll split the odd appetizer, salad, or dessert, most often when recommended by the server (and not all in one meal). I don't think we've ever split a main course, but know folks with small appetites who do and realize some restaurants add a surcharge.

But splitting a coffee? That takes me back to the "one coke - two straws" days of my youth in the 50s.

It was a first for us. Is this at all commonplace?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, it's not. Sounds a tad on the chap side. Then again, I suppose on of them could have ordered the coffee and simply split it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the only drinks i will share are really expensive ones
(or just to try, as others mentioned below)

but these kinds of things do happen

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 17, 2017 at 3:46 am
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:22 pm

The two ladies next to us at dinner last night (upscale seafood restaurant, dinner about $175 for two) shared a dessert and split a final glass of wine.

The waiter brought two glasses with an equal amount of red wine in each.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by vloglady
The two ladies next to us at dinner last night (upscale seafood restaurant, dinner about $175 for two) shared a dessert and split a final glass of wine.

I don't have a problem with that given the cost of wine in restaurants and I think the waiter handled it really well. Maybe they each wanted a taste but not a full glass - that's fine. But when it is coffee or soft drinks with unlimited refills, sharing one and then getting a refill is clearly violating the spirit of the restaurant's policy.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by vloglady

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I don't have a problem with that given the cost of wine in restaurants and I think the waiter handled it really well. Maybe they each wanted a taste but not a full glass - that's fine. But when it is coffee or soft drinks with unlimited refills, sharing one and then getting a refill is clearly violating the spirit of the restaurant's policy.
Same here. ^ More than once I've ordered a second glass of wine and poured a portion into Mrs. Fredd's glass, and we'd ordinarily joke about it with the server. Of course, our neighboring diners made their intentions clear as well.

However, let's hypothesize that it's a cheap wine and an expensive coffee, say, a $6 glass vs. a $3 cup.

My only rationale for drawing a distinction is that it's a second glass of wine versus a first cup of coffee.

IMHO the server handled it with class by offering a refill. I guess I'm overly sensitive about being labeled as a cheapskate, and your comments have reassured me that "splitting" one coffee between two diners is not common practice.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I eat out ALOT and I've never seen anyone split a coffee. Splitting dessert, on the other hand, is so common that waiters will often bring a second fork when only one person orders dessert, even if they've expressed no desire to share.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Splitting a coffee is a cheapskate move because it's customarily an item that comes with free refills. Indeed, in this case the server did even refill it. If I were the manager I wouldn't have allowed it. Splitting items that don't come with refills is fine, though. E.g., splitting an appetizer or dessert is common.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I always split a bottle of wine and, if dessert is ordered at all I will split it. But splitting a coffee and then accepting a refill is appalling behavior.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
It seems like it's strictly a matter between the other table and the restaurant. Unless you were looking for someone else's permission to try it yourselves next time.
HMPS likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
It seems like it's strictly a matter between the other table and the restaurant. Unless you were looking for someone else's permission to try it yourselves next time.
I wasn't deliberately eavesdropping on the conversation, if that's what you're implying, nor did I post here to seek validation to attempt it myself.

I plead guilty to simple curiosity.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
I wasn't deliberately eavesdropping on the conversation, if that's what you're implying, nor did I post here to seek validation to attempt it myself.

I plead guilty to simple curiosity.
I overhear more than I care to due to the closeness of other tables in too many restaurants. People blowing their nose or clearing their throat or discussing personal business loudly bother me. I seldom notice what they're ordering.

I will admit I've never heard anyone ask to share a coffee. You were curious. That's understandable. Others are offended. I think that's absurd.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've split beer with Mr. Kipper at the end of a meal, and occasionally, they'll give us two half pints. I've not split coffee with anyone, and it seems weird to ask to split that.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I've split beer with Mr. Kipper at the end of a meal, and occasionally, they'll give us two half pints. I've not split coffee with anyone, and it seems weird to ask to split that.
I've spilt a glass of wine with my wife, but never ordered it that way. I've just grabbed it and taken the odd sip. There's also a local bar where I feel comfortable asking for a half glass of wine at the end of the evening. They usually pour me one and don't add it to the tab.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've spilt a glass of wine with my wife, but never ordered it that way. I've just grabbed it and taken the odd sip. There's also a local bar where I feel comfortable asking for a half glass of wine at the end of the evening. They usually pour me one and don't add it to the tab.
We may comment about sharing, but don't ask for a separate glass. That said, it's usually at one of our normal stops. I think I threw our usual bartender for a loop on Saturday. I only consumed about 3/4 of my beer, then gave the rest to Mr. Kipper, and switched to soft drinks, so I could be the designated driver.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.