Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like

Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like

Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: ICQ
I avoid eating food that contains too much sugar....... even coffee contains too much sugar, I can't take it....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by cjacob101
I avoid eating food that contains too much sugar....... even coffee contains too much sugar, I can't take it....
Black coffee without sugar added contains so little sugar that it can be safely rounded to zero.

In fact, if you ate 100g of raw ground coffee beans -- just about the right amount for 14 cups -- the sugar content would still round to zero, although you'd get a fair bit of fiber and complex carbohydrates that normally just gets thrown out after brewing.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Iced tea
I'm with you on that, especially the vomit inducing sweet tea people here in the South consume by the gallon.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by JumboJet
Iced tea
The problem with most iced tea is that it's made with crappy tea. I don't drink low grade tea hot, so why should I drink it cold? I make gallons of iced tea at home with premium teas, but never touch the vile chemical swill that comes from soap dispensers or those jumbo canisters in restaurants. And, no, I don't drink it Southern style.

Originally Posted by Fraser
Tomatoes I am comically weird about.
Ketchup ^
Tomato based sauces ^
Sundried tomatoes ^
Diced tomatoes ^
Sliced tomatoes
In particular the diced vs. sliced baffles me...if I am whipping up a Bolognese sauce or similar at home I'll nibble on the little chunks from the can (i know, I know...) but if I order a burger or sandwich I will always ask to remove the tomato slice, or I'll just remove them from a sandwich if I have no choice. I think it's the watery texture of sliced tomatoes, but even then with sandwiches if I can taste where the tomato has been I really don't like it, almost to the point of gagging.
My kid agrees with you completely on tomatoes. Personally I think the whole point of having a garden is BLT's with tomatoes fresh off the vine.

Foods I hate: cilantro (aren't we over that yet?), mangos and cooked liver. To me the smell of cooking liver is vomit inducing. I can't be in the same house with it, let alone at the same table.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

Foods I hate: cilantro (aren't we over that yet?), mangos and cooked liver. To me the smell of cooking liver is vomit inducing. I can't be in the same house with it, let alone at the same table.
There is no shame in disliking liver. I think we are in the majority here.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:19 am

Sun-dried tomatoes. I don't know what the big deal is, I'll take my food fresh any day and I'm not afraid to admit it. But they might pair well with stale bread :-)
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The problem with most iced tea is that it's made with crappy tea. I don't drink low grade tea hot, so why should I drink it cold? I make gallons of iced tea at home with premium teas, but never touch the vile chemical swill that comes from soap dispensers or those jumbo canisters in restaurants. And, no, I don't drink it Southern style.
You're right, iced tea is way better when made with real tea. Even a halfway decent brand tea bag makes it taste a lot better than the crud that comes from powder. Use a slightly better tea with a good flavor of its own, and adding sweetener becomes a lot less important.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm with you on that, especially the vomit inducing sweet tea people here in the South consume by the gallon.
Ah yes. At work lunches, people here seem to think they've provided a choice of beverages when they order a gallon of un-sweet and 2 gallons of sweet.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:36 pm

Coconut and mushrooms.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arrrcache
Coconut and mushrooms.
Not an appealing combination.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Truffle Oil. Not that I have anything against it fundamentally but

a) It seems to be in every single thing
b) Most chefs seem to be too heavyhanded with it because it permeates & overpowers every dish where it is used

Ro
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:35 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BamaVol
There is no shame in disliking liver. I think we are in the majority here.
Recent Yemeni meals in Jeddah have introduced me to decent-tasting offal. Tripe though, is awful...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Fraser
Tomatoes I am comically weird about.
Ketchup ^
Tomato based sauces ^
Sundried tomatoes ^
Diced tomatoes ^
Sliced tomatoes
In particular the diced vs. sliced baffles me...if I am whipping up a Bolognese sauce or similar at home I'll nibble on the little chunks from the can (i know, I know...) but if I order a burger or sandwich I will always ask to remove the tomato slice, or I'll just remove them from a sandwich if I have no choice. I think it's the watery texture of sliced tomatoes, but even then with sandwiches if I can taste where the tomato has been I really don't like it, almost to the point of gagging.

I'm with you on the tomatoes. Something about raw sliced (just raw sliced) tomatoes is just weird. Throw it under the broiler though, and I've got no problems.

The other thing I really don't like is bacon. Which gets me a funny look, because I'm otherwise somewhat of a carnivore. And I do like pork belly, just not the cured variety.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

My kid agrees with you completely on tomatoes. Personally I think the whole point of having a garden is BLT's with tomatoes fresh off the vine.

I would imagine raw liver is not that great either.

But, I will admit, I love liver and onions. Fantastic !
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:14 pm

rice... I really don't like rice in fact

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.