Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seriously? "Jack and Diet Dr Pepper." Is that even a thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seriously? "Jack and Diet Dr Pepper." Is that even a thing?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
How do the drink prices compare on Amtrak vs up in the air? It is $7 for a beer/liquor on AA if memory serves.
Amtrak has somebody drunk in charge of their menu.

Last time I took the Acela (about a year ago) they would charge like $6 for a Bud Light and then like $8 for a Dogfish Head 90 min IPA, which retail is about 3x-4x the price of a Bud Light.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'd prefer a Flaming Dr. Pepper.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Bingo. Early 20s.

I must confess I've been tempted to dump some Johnny Walker Blue into orange juice while in the BA First Lounge at LHR just to see the reaction of the people around.
I watched somebody order a JW Blue and Coke once. Pretty sure it was in an airport lounge...but it may have been on-board Thai Royal First.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I don't mind bourbon and Diet Dr. Pepper, but I don't get why someone thinks this drink needs the good (i.e., expensive) stuff. Anyone who orders this concoction cannot possibly distinguish among alternative whiskeys in it.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As unpleasant as the OP sounds, I'd drink 10 of them before I'd drink what I saw people drinking in Buenos Aires a few nights ago ... New Age (cheap white wine) mixed with Speed (the local version of Red Bull). Barfity barf barf barf.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
How do the drink prices compare on Amtrak vs up in the air? It is $7 for a beer/liquor on AA if memory serves.
Major advantage of the train: you can brown bag it! That liquor store in the basement of DC Union Station is there for a reason.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EricH
I don't mind bourbon and Diet Dr. Pepper, but I don't get why someone thinks this drink needs the good (i.e., expensive) stuff. Anyone who orders this concoction cannot possibly distinguish among alternative whiskeys in it.
Yep, there's always a bottle of Seagram's 7 among my various whiskeys and bourbons for that very purpose.

In terms of the OP's post, while Jack isn't exactly on the cheap end, it's a pretty standard mixing liquor in bars and restaurants.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I was really talking about people ordering screwdrivers with high-end vodka. I've seen entirely too much of that.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sodas are a thing, not limited by age/country

i think red bull was first energy mixer? now all kinds, also gatorade etc

EricH, sounds like they dont care about $ and or want to show off
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I was really talking about people ordering screwdrivers with high-end vodka. I've seen entirely too much of that.
Do you also object to fresh squeezed OJ, unless it's drunk straight?

More seriously, if money isn't really an object, and you like screwdrivers, what's the difference?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It depends on what you consider high-end. Years ago some friends and I compared screwdrivers made with Ketel One, considered high end by many, to screwdrivers made with a name-brand vodka that sells at half the price. We all could taste the difference.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
While your mouth might not always be able to distinguish the difference, there's a reasonable chance that your head will be able to, either later that day or the next morning.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:03 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Just because people do it doesn't make it right. I mean when I was younger we tried mixing Koolaid powder in 190 proof Everclear but it was wrong.
wasn't that a thing in college? Everclear punch parties, where someone who worked in the school cafeteria would grab some punch concentrate, then we'd mix that in a garbage bag with whatever hard liquor one could find along with a bag of ice, Everclear being the most cost effective. I seem to recall parties like that, at least I think I remember
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
wasn't that a thing in college? Everclear punch parties, where someone who worked in the school cafeteria would grab some punch concentrate, then we'd mix that in a garbage bag with whatever hard liquor one could find along with a bag of ice, Everclear being the most cost effective. I seem to recall parties like that, at least I think I remember
Yeah, there was some weird made up name for the punch too, which I of course can't recall 25 years later.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As unpleasant as the OP sounds, I'd drink 10 of them before I'd drink what I saw people drinking in Buenos Aires a few nights ago ... New Age (cheap white wine) mixed with Speed (the local version of Red Bull). Barfity barf barf barf.
Ahh brings back memories of my teen years in EZE... New Age wasn't exactly winning any medals, but was super popular among late teen and 20s crowds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.