FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Favorite Food Truck Offerings? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1847965-favorite-food-truck-offerings.html)

HawaiiTrvlr Jun 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Favorite Food Truck Offerings?

Apparently the food truck phenomenon is in full effect. Here in Denver, there are gathering of food trucks at lunchtime on Tues and Thurs in Civic Park. I think Portland has a permanent gathering of food trucks downtown.

Anyways, does anyone have a favorite offering from any of the food trucks you have tried?

One I have tried a few times that I like serves:

A waffle bowl made of corn meal and includes a serving of mac & cheese, topped with meat (brisket, pulled pork or chicken; I had pulled pork), sauce (beer cheese is my favorite) and topped with cole slaw. All for $11.

Another food truck I love is Denver Biscuit Company. Their biscuits and sausage gravy is awesome. They now have 2 store front locations and send their food trucks to local farmers markets.

irish_goat Jun 15, 2017 5:52 am

It's not a big thing in Ireland yet, we don't really have the weather for food trucks. But my local (and only) food truck serves up fantastic seabass with new potatoes and a great pulled pork bap too.

Generally though anything Mexican would be my favourite food truck item.

BamaVol Jun 15, 2017 7:09 am

The food truck scene here consists of the traditional roach coaches that ply their trade at mealtimes while parked in front of the larger manufacturing plants. I didn't know they existed until a vehicle stopped me in front of the paper mill and asked if I'd seen one. The lady turned out to be a sales tax auditor!

We do have a permanent food truck (wheels removed) over by the beach that makes excellent fish tacos. BV Jr #1 used to live in Huntsville. I don't know where the trucks were during the day, but at night there they tended to park by the breweries and do good business.

Duke787 Jun 15, 2017 8:58 am

Raleigh / Durham has a pretty good food truck scene.

My favorite in the area is Chirba Chirba - it's a dumpling truck that makes very good dumplings including soup dumplings (which are my favorite and not particularly easy to find especially here in the south).

A couple summers ago I was in San Mateo for the summer and their Friday Food Truck Rodeo was quite good as well. Don't recall the names of the trucks but remember some very good Indian food.

I've had some good Korean/Mexican taco fusion before - always look out for one of those if I can.

pseudoswede Jun 15, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr (Post 28438850)
Apparently the food truck phenomenon is in full effect. Here in Denver, there are gathering of food trucks at lunchtime on Tues and Thurs in Civic Park. I think Portland has a permanent gathering of food trucks downtown.

When I'm not working from home or at the client site, I work over near Coors Field, and this area severely lacks any food trucks. We occasionally get an ice cream food truck that stops by for 30 minutes.

Don't even get me started on the lack of food trucks in the suburbs; then again, it's expected. To be fair, there is a BBQ food truck that is a pretty permanent fixture, and a cupcake food truck sometimes appears next to it. On the way to work, I sometimes see a New Mexican (as in the state) food truck; they make tasty breakfast burritos.

mapleg Jun 15, 2017 11:04 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr (Post 28438850)
A waffle bowl made of corn meal and includes a serving of mac & cheese, topped with meat (brisket, pulled pork or chicken; I had pulled pork), sauce (beer cheese is my favorite) and topped with cole slaw. All for $11.

Man, that sounds good, but it also sounds about as far from healthy as you can get.

essxjay Jun 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Too many food trucks in PDX to pin down faves. So many have come and gone over the last 30-35 years it's hard to keep up with what's still open or have gone B&M or micro B&M. One would think this city has maxxed out on types of cuisine but I've found they come in waves. The latest wave includes ramen, dumplings and regional thai.

But one of the most successful food trucks ever, Nong's Khao Man Gai, offers just a handful of dishes and does them so superbly it's like why bother with anything else. Not that we're not still awash in pad thai, tacos and gyros but there's just so much more variety that only the better pad thai, taco and gyros trucks remain. When I'm pressed for time, which is pretty much all the time in the middle of the day, I hit whichever Aybla truck is closest for a gyro w/extra feta.

The one pod-to-B&M that knocked me out on the first bite is the Florentine-focused Burrasca that served the most succulent inzimino, squid simmered in red wine, spinach and herbs and a slice of grilled bread for $7. I could've have that every day for weeks before changing up the pace. Now that they've gone B&M the price is a little higher -- $10 -- but still worth every penny.

HawaiiTrvlr Jun 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 28446663)
When I'm not working from home or at the client site, I work over near Coors Field, and this area severely lacks any food trucks. We occasionally get an ice cream food truck that stops by for 30 minutes.

Don't even get me started on the lack of food trucks in the suburbs; then again, it's expected. To be fair, there is a BBQ food truck that is a pretty permanent fixture, and a cupcake food truck sometimes appears next to it. On the way to work, I sometimes see a New Mexican (as in the state) food truck; they make tasty breakfast burritos.

When out of town visitors were here last week, we went to a few breweries in Highlands Ranch. Both had food carts out front. The breweries told us that it saves them from getting a food license (and the inspections that come with it). They can concentrate on brewing beer. Plus the food trucks alternate depending on the day of the week.

mapleg Jun 18, 2017 10:32 am

Happens to be a food truck event going on at a local park this weekend. First time they have had it.

Walked over and took a look. Nothing really worth buying. Most of it seemed to be poutine or smoke meat type stuff. Gave it a pass.

pseudoswede Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr (Post 28451906)
When out of town visitors were here last week, we went to a few breweries in Highlands Ranch. Both had food carts out front. The breweries told us that it saves them from getting a food license (and the inspections that come with it). They can concentrate on brewing beer. Plus the food trucks alternate depending on the day of the week.

Next time you're in that area, go visit St. Patrick's Brewery. Really nice biergarden and they have a food truck every night.

Vicitoria Jun 20, 2017 4:38 pm

I guess my most memorable food truck experience was also in Denver, J Street Food Truck. They change their menus each month, and always offer tasty food, delicious meat and salads. I happened to taste their Thai and Mexican menus - gorgeous!!!

Very nice experience here in GB was in Exeter, it's a Greek food truck: Polly Nostimo's, fresh delicious meal. Guys said that they really order required ingredients from Greece.

BuildingMyBento Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am

In NYC, I like The Cinnamon Snail.