Wiki Posts
Search

Best Airport for Beer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by euromannn
Do you write any trip reports for Moldova? I was thinking of going but safety seems to be serious consideration of gangs and theft per wikipedia.
I didn't but I guess I could. It was a good experience but I'm not planning to go back anytime soon. I'll reply again if I add a trip report.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Among US airports, PDX is pretty good for craft brews. No surprise there as Portland has been at the heart of the craft movement for many years. I like Henry's Tavern with about 20 taps to choose from.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:29 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frankmu
NRT ANA lounge and the beer machine
If only they could get something in it other than Asahi. So many great beers in Japan that aren't generic lagers...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
If only they could get something in it other than Asahi. So many great beers in Japan that aren't generic lagers...
100%. Don't understand why they feel it's acceptable to serve expensive wines and champagnes alongside tins of generic lager you can buy for next to nothing in a shop. They could at least have a bit of choice anyway.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Among US airports, PDX is pretty good for craft brews. No surprise there as Portland has been at the heart of the craft movement for many years. I like Henry's Tavern with about 20 taps to choose from.
Sadly, for my first visit to PDX next month we land at midnight and the airport bars close 15 minutes later. Then we depart at 11:00 AM. I may have a departure beer with my breakfast.

However, in between arriving and departing, we will drink some beer. Just not at the airport.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by exerda
Originally Posted by irish_goat
100%. Don't understand why they feel it's acceptable to serve expensive wines and champagnes alongside tins of generic lager you can buy for next to nothing in a shop. They could at least have a bit of choice anyway.
Ha! I happen to love Asahi as a light beer. One of my 3 favorite Japanese beers, and WAY better than the seemingly always present Kirin.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I have very fond memories of Schiphol in the old days when you could get a large Heineken and hot dog for 8.5 Guilder.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Trying to get myself to a conference in Portland next year so will hopefully be able to check PDX out.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
SLC - Squatters Pub is decent.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
CLE has a Great Lakes outpost.

I may not be remembering correctly, but on an early morning connection from the US, I think it was in BRU where I found a bar with a nice selection of Belgian beers on tap. As I was functioning on little sleep at the time, I don't recall anything specific that would help locate the bar.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would also say that OSL has the best beer selection of any duty-free shop I have been to in the world. That's not much, given that beer isn't really sold in most duty-free stores, but they have a good selection of craft beers - and it's not the watered down sub-4.7% ABV stuff you can buy locally...it's the real deal
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Sadly, for my first visit to PDX next month we land at midnight and the airport bars close 15 minutes later. Then we depart at 11:00 AM. I may have a departure beer with my breakfast.
For sure. ^ There's all kinds of bottled booze -- the hoppy kind, the grape-y kind and the grainy kind -- airside to take home with you. Anything from Rogue will do.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by essxjay
For sure. ^ There's all kinds of bottled booze -- the hoppy kind, the grape-y kind and the grainy kind -- airside to take home with you. Anything from Rogue will do.
Avoid the Voodoo Donut flavor
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would also say that OSL has the best beer selection of any duty-free shop I have been to in the world. That's not much, given that beer isn't really sold in most duty-free stores, but they have a good selection of craft beers - and it's not the watered down sub-4.7% ABV stuff you can buy locally...it's the real deal
To be fair, the beer selection they have at OSL is mainly Norwegian craft beers. But you can find a better selection of those pretty much at any of the the Norwegian national alcohol shops "Vinmonopolet", in central Oslo.....at prices not much different from the "duty free" at OSL.

If you dont mind sticking it in your luggage, you could be better off doing that...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by essxjay
Originally Posted by frankmu
Avoid the Voodoo Donut flavor
While Mrs BamaVol had hot tea and a breakfast sandwich at the PDX Rogue taphouse, I ordered a BLT and a 7 hop IPA. I told myself it was noon on the east coast (although I live in Central time and hadn't been in Oregon long enough to get my body on Pacific.)

I did have a Voodoo donut while in Eugene. My son and his BIL were more daring. One had a maple bacon bar while the other had what appeared to be an apple fritter filled with peanut butter and covered in chocolate chips.
I stuck with a raspberry filled glazed. I saw the Rogue bottles there and at PDX but don't think I would enjoy a grape jelly flavored (among others) beer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.