Wiki Posts
Search

Is everyone on FT a wine connoisseur?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
Generally speaking, the entry fee into these sort of things is, in addition to one's equitable share of the overall expense, it's to bring one or two bottles that are as worthy as the rest. Of course, you can clear that bar by walking into a high-end wine shop and dropping a substantial amount of cash, but it's generally better if you know something about what it is you are buying.

That being said, a friend of mine recently informed me that a particular bottle of Red Burgundy: the current vintage of Domaine de la Romanee Conti La Tache, is being sold at a Costco in San Francisco for $2999.99 a bottle. If you buy THAT bottle of wine for the aforementioned tasting, I promise that we will let you in and provide all of the wine education you can handle in one evening .
Haha, I do know about DRC! I've been reading a lot and perusing some wine auction books (it's nice having HDH here in Chicago).

I don't have a problem buying nice bottles of wine. I just don't have a lot of experience. I've bought 6 bottle of wine in my life:

-A recent vintage of Caymus (was a gift, so didn't have any)
-some cheap Italian red, which I didn't like
-1995 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Rosé
-Laurent Perrier Rosé NV
-2 bottles of Chicago Cubs Championship sparkling wine, which was nasty and partly a gift.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

BTW, that DRC La Tache is being offered at a "bargain" price, so I wouldn't let it linger on the shelf if I really wanted it. Most shops that actually offered such a bottle would be selling it for more like $3500 to $3999 presently.

Also, I should add that bottle of DRC La Tache's price has an extra digit in it compared to anything I personally have ever bought, and TWO or THREE extra digits compared to about 99.5% of anything I have ever bought. Although, I have SOLD a few bottles (three, to be precise) for over $1000 (Through a broker, to Chinese collectors) after they had appreciated 15-20 fold in value while in my cellar for a couple of decades.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Jun 25, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:08 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by United747
Haha, I do know about DRC! I've been reading a lot and perusing some wine auction books (it's nice having HDH here in Chicago).

I don't have a problem buying nice bottles of wine. I just don't have a lot of experience. I've bought 6 bottle of wine in my life:

-A recent vintage of Caymus (was a gift, so didn't have any)
-some cheap Italian red, which I didn't like
-1995 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Rosé
-Laurent Perrier Rosé NV
-2 bottles of Chicago Cubs Championship sparkling wine, which was nasty and partly a gift.
Assuming this dinner happens, you would have plenty of coaching on what of the available possibilities to buy. HDH is a gem of a resource and has provided me many fun things in past.

Still trying to plot details. more when I can. First step venue confirmation. Then we will see about head count and wine list. Stay tuned.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by t325
Nope, I don't drink the stuff. I do wish airlines had a better beer selection though. Stop wasting weight on the Budweiser and Coors piss water and serve some real beer.
Couldn't agree more ! AirNZ served bottle conditioned Moa for a while in BP , very pleasant. Sadly no more , back to boring NZ beers. So back to the wine. At least their NZ wines taste good ( especially the Otago reds ) to my non expert tastebuds ..
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cyborg
Ok, so I'm interested in this event, should it come to pass. A couple of thoughts. Are we interested in wine at normal altitude where the bottle has been resting comfortably for weeks or years or is this an airline event where we are tasting at altitude with lower pressure?

The FT wine folks are no doubt vested in both realms. So, how do we deal with this conundrum?

I'm also concerned that if we travel from afar the day before and sample the wines they will not be properly rested and show poorly.

We could chip in to rent an aircraft to taste and then arrive at a destination to taste again?

Depending upon what the final event turns out to be, you can count me in. I shall bring something interesting, perhaps a 20 year old Australian Cab or a cult reserve cab from Argentina (Catena Zapata Estiba Reservada).

I agree with the person who described the 1978 Sterling Reserve. It was one of the most extraordinary wines I have ever had and remember bringing a bottle to share with the Chief Engineer of NHK at Lowry's Prime Rib in LA many years ago.

Funny how the 1978 Margaux I brought on a cruise in 2004 also had the right stuff. How about those 1978's? :-)

Your thoughts???

Cheers,

-Cyborg

Personally, I was hoping for something centered around MUCH better wines than I would ever expect to get on an airplane - not the least reason why being, I will either need to drive an entire day in each direction and/or get on a plane to attend it, and either of those journeys is not something I'd do JUST to see how the sort of wines I might find on an airplane might taste at altitude.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:39 pm
mjm
Original Member

:-) A good read, and well written, but....

Yeah wines on the ground as they should be.

Good, very good wines. New world vs. old with a lot of CA vs. French I imagine ;-)

You've got 8 months so bring it next time you or someone else is Bay Area bound and leave it in storage there. I think one of us must have spare storage space, I know I do.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
If we do it in Washington I know some wineries I could get to host the event at a vineyard on Red Mountain in the Columbia Valley or at a winery near Seattle (although that might not be as fun).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:00 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by andyh64000
If we do it in Washington I know some wineries I could get to host the event at a vineyard on Red Mountain in the Columbia Valley or at a winery near Seattle (although that might not be as fun).
Thanks for the offer. Winery dinners can be a blast. This will be a Bay Area event this time though.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:23 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:05 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:14 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cyborg
Hi DC,

mjm,

You are right, of course. This should be a simple ground based wine tasting event with pre-positioned bottles in the SF Bay Area. I also have a place to store wines (friend with a below ground cellar in Novato). Not only am I prepared to participate, but willing and able to enter something interesting from New World producers (Argentina and/or Australia) of decent age and reputation.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Cool deal. Have had plenty of old Australian which can be enormously fun. Argentinian wine of age I am a rank novice on though.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:37 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:04 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:14 pm
mjm
Original Member

Bowing out of this. Somewhere along the line this became not fun.

I wish all wine drinkers here a wonderful experience each and every time you open a bottle.

I know a few of you personally and may reach out, but the rest, I encourage to pursue whatever wine events they wish.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It was something I didn't get at all in my 20s. I'm now in my 30s and I've discovered what I like and what I don't like and how to tell the difference between plonk and palatable. Sometimes though I still at some of the posting from the ten minute lecture about Vouvrays types.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CMK10
Sometimes though I still at some of the posting from the ten minute lecture about Vouvrays types.
Yes, but at least you now know that it isn't Voov Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.