FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Meet seven of the world's most expensive dishes... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1842859-meet-seven-worlds-most-expensive-dishes.html)

uggboy May 16, 2017 10:09 am

Meet seven of the world's most expensive dishes...

Meet seven of the world's most expensive dishes...

A £15 gold-leaf cappuccino in Abu Dhabi is just the tip of the iceberg; when it comes to obscenely expensive foods, the US comes out on top.

A touch of gold flake and a drizzling of truffle oil is all it seems to take for a restaurant to advertise a new luxury dish, but these seven sumptuous foods found around the world are over the over-the-top both in creativity and price.
Have you tried one or more of these yet? Please see the headline link above... @:-)

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Madone59 May 16, 2017 1:44 pm

I'll take two of each :D

They should call this article "Food you'll see on Instagram that no one will ever order"

Gringa May 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Nope, it would be wasted on me. In the go-go 80's I worked at an interesting place in Sint Maarten and guests were constantly bringing down big tins of Beluga,etc. from Petrossian where we'd go through the whole ritual of chopped egg, onion, toast points and all the rest. Never saw what the big deal was and secretly figured that if the Ossetra et al cost a half buck a can that nobody would bother. But what do I know?

thelark May 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Just a bunch of expensive ingredients thrown together without regard to the actual end product but. Crap intended to get them establishment's name in print and maybe some moron occasionally places an order.

gaobest May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Good article but everything looked disgusting. Even the basic burger is ruined with triple cream cheese and lobster.

fwoomp May 17, 2017 9:48 am

I think it's a hoot that just about everything has gold leaf in it, too, as if all the recipes were created to please the Donald. Incidentally, I made a recipe (elaborate cake) which called for it once. I t was for a party and I figured sure, why not, if it's not expensive. I don't remember how much it costs, but I found a kitchen store that sold it by the sheet (good for a one-off like this!), and whatever the price was, it was ok for my grad student budget.

pseudoswede May 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Isn't that animal poop coffee more expensive than 15 quid?

fwoomp May 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 28324419)
Isn't that animal poop coffee more expensive than 15 quid?

I think one of the desserts included that as an ingredient. (Not going to go back and look.)

Plato90s May 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa (Post 28320120)
Nope, it would be wasted on me. In the go-go 80's I worked at an interesting place in Sint Maarten and guests were constantly bringing down big tins of Beluga,etc. from Petrossian where we'd go through the whole ritual of chopped egg, onion, toast points and all the rest. Never saw what the big deal was and secretly figured that if the Ossetra et al cost a half buck a can that nobody would bother. But what do I know?

Gah....

Quality Beluga caviar shouldn't be mixed with chopped egg/onion at all.

Personally, I can't stand the gold-flake idea. Such things have no taste and makes no sense at all.

The only thing on that list I'd like to try is the burger.

chgoeditor May 17, 2017 4:15 pm

I have to say, it's sort of a stupid list (or misleading headline). A £15 item is not among the world's most expensive dishes. (Technically, it's not even a dish, it's a drink.) It may be one of the world's most expensive coffees, but that's not what the headline purports.

stut May 18, 2017 3:16 am

What blingy nonsense.

Badenoch May 18, 2017 11:00 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 28327014)
What blingy nonsense.

Exactly. I can put gold leaf and truffle oil on a bowl of dog food but that does not make it haute cuisine.

CappuccinoAddict May 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Have you all seen the BuzzFeed "Worth It" video series? They've tried many of these and compare them to similar products at other price points. It's very entertaining, and easy accessible on YouTube!

PsiFighter37 May 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Nope. The $20k taco is the most ridiculous of all, IMO.

miamiflyer8 May 19, 2017 5:11 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 28327014)
What blingy nonsense.

+1

They make a regular ice cream sundae, put gold on it so it looks like a glittery mess and charge $1000 for it.