Wiki Posts
Search

Noma Mexico: Anyone else going?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them
Noma Mexico: Anyone else going?

While I didn't get a table when the initial ones were posted I did get one in late May. I will go IAH-MEX for business then MEX-MID (more business) and have a break of day driver scheduled to cut across the Yucatan to Tulum. Noma that evening and then drive to the airport for CUN-IAH and home.

We ate at Noma in Copenhagen and it was the most memorable meal of my life.

No responses necessary from those who think it is absurd to spend that much money on a meal. You opinion is correct but I am ignoring it.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:07 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I ate there on Saturday. It exceeded my expectations. Had a great time with Rene and crew. I have photos on Instagram - as do lots of others #NomaMexico - and I am the admin of another Noma site with many photos and info should you desire feel free to PM me.

Regarding the cost, this does fund scholarships for chefs from Mexico to go to Denmark to work at Noma. Culinary students from Mexico will also get lunch during the two weeks after Noma Tulum closes and get to see the operation, and some are working at externs there now. Rene has always been giving - he donates much to refugees in Denmark - and these are just a few examples of what is happening in Tulum.

Have a great time!

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 17, 2017 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by fracmeister
While I didn't get a table when the initial ones were posted I did get one in late May. I will go IAH-MEX for business then MEX-MID (more business) and have a break of day driver scheduled to cut across the Yucatan to Tulum. Noma that evening and then drive to the airport for CUN-IAH and home.

We ate at Noma in Copenhagen and it was the most memorable meal of my life.

No responses necessary from those who think it is absurd to spend that much money on a meal. You opinion is correct but I am ignoring it.
A friend posted some extraordinarily beautiful photographs of the meal. Consider yourself lucky to have that reservation. Based on the photos and descriptions of the food, it will be well worth the drive. Enjoy!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:20 am

I'll be there in a couple of weeks. Getting more and more excited!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

where are people staying?

(and what is noma doing after tulum?)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

I'm staying at Nizuc and just having a driver take us down/back. Will then have a few days to lounge on the beach with margaritas and more casual, local fare.

Not sure what Noma is doing afterwards; most likely returning to CPH to finish the build out of the new location, would be my guess.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

The semi-host hotel is across the street. I rented a house and mostly spent my days on the beach with the Noma group. Noma 2.0 hopes to be ready to open Dec. 1.

Here are some good photos someone posted to their blog if anyone is curious about Tulum.

http://www.alifewortheating.com/posts/2017/noma-mexico

They had plans to open a bar for walk-in diners in Tulum. It wasn't open the first week and I've not seen or heard that it's open yet. It would certainly fill quickly - they get hundreds of walk-up requests for tables daily.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 23, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by l'etoile
The semi-host hotel is across the street. I rented a house and mostly spent my days on the beach with the Noma group. Noma 2.0 hopes to be ready to open Dec. 1.

Here are some good photos someone posted to their blog if anyone is curious about Tulum.

http://www.alifewortheating.com/posts/2017/noma-mexico

They had plans to open a bar for walk-in diners in Tulum. It wasn't open the first week and I've not seen or heard that it's open yet. It would certainly fill quickly - they get hundreds of walk-up requests for tables daily.
Thanks so much for sharing the photos. Beautiful food. Beautiful setting.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wow thanks for posting looking like an amazing experience. NOMA is very much on the top of my travel list to get to eventually either at the new place in Copenhagen or wherever they go to next (if ever possible to get a reservation).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:59 am
Original Poster

I am staying at Casa Lecande Boutique hotel... looks nice... but driving in from Merida in the AM.... I will need some relaxation!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
So annoyed...friends just invited us to be their +2 and we have a conflict on the night of their reservations.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:14 pm

Where else are you eating while down there? I am spending time in Playa as well.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by johndunn2
Where else are you eating while down there? I am spending time in Playa as well.
I mostly ate at La Zebra, and was happy. Noma friends recommended Arca, but I didn't try it. A friend who also ate at Noma wasn't too taken with Hartwood, but liked Kitchen Table.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

This is a super rushed trip for me as I have to be in Merida the prior day and go home after that.

Any chance someone can recommend restaurants in merida?
Old May 21, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Noma awesome and Merida pretty great

Nectar is a first rate restaurant in Merida but if you want a simpler local meal try La Chaya Maya.

Noma was everything I expected and more. Pics, details and blog entry to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.