FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Halal street food? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1816297-halal-street-food.html)

maortega15 Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Halal street food?

No, not the Halal preparation, but rather the Halal you find on street carts in NY and elsewhere. Like the chicken over rice. The white sauce is something I really curious about.

I've never tried it but I am curious to. Never had the will and appetite for it. Would like to hear your thoughts.

phant0m Jan 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 27783844)
No, not the Halal preparation, but rather the Halal you find on street carts in NY and elsewhere. Like the chicken over rice. The white sauce is something I really curious about.

I've never tried it but I am curious to. Never had the will and appetite for it. Would like to hear your thoughts.

It's good drunk food. I wouldn't get it on the norm.

diburning Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm

The halal street carts in NYC are generally very good, and you get plenty of food for the amount you're paying. I believe the white sauce you're referring to is a creamy garlic sauce.

schmoove Jan 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Halal guys have opened some franchises up across the states. Its nothing special but good food and good portions for the price.

GA400 Jan 19, 2017 5:16 pm

In my experience, the Halal Guys carts are consistently good and the falafel and/or lamb are a good break from the ubiquitous beef or chicken fast food.

gobluetwo Jan 19, 2017 6:21 pm

I've had it on several occasions while in business in new york and like it. Good value and big fan of falafel.

mareh Jan 20, 2017 11:25 am

Isn't it yogurt sauce? I like the food from the carts in a pinch. I'd rather go to a restaurant that sells falafel though.

LAX-1K Jan 20, 2017 11:40 am

Street meat!

gfunkdave Jan 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 27783844)

So, you do have the will, then? :confused:

phillygold Jan 20, 2017 3:04 pm

I love it! Great filling, cheap dinner. Either chicken over rice or lamb over rice with salad for 6 bucks. I always ask for extra white sauce and extra hot sauce.

Cloudship Jan 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Are you talking about wanting to try the sauce or the chicken over rice?

Halal is, like you mentioned, basically preparation rules. Like Kosher (very much, in fact) it is not a dish or even a style itself. So lots of things can be had at Halal carts. New York just happens to have a large enough population demanding Halal prepared foods that lots of carts sprung up. It is a good thing.

Several dishes could fit what you are describing, but I am betting that you most likely were looking at Chicken Shawarma. The chicken was probably either seasoned and grilled, or done on a vertical split, right? The rice was probably just a pilaf, or even just rice. The sauce most likely was some version of Tajik/Tzajik/TzaTziki sauce - a yogurt based sauce, almost always with garlic, and usually dill or cucumber or mint or a whole bunch of different things. Personally I hate the stuff, but most people love it. It is found throughout the region, and there are hundreds of different recipes - the sauce in some cases is what makes one places food special, not the meat.

Not sure where you are from, but try and find a sandwich or pizza place that sells shawarma. It will be slightly different seasoning than you are used to, but in the end it is just one heck of an amazing chicken sandwich when done well.

paperwastage Jan 20, 2017 5:04 pm

the "official" cart actually gives out sealed packets of sauces

you can see the ingredients. of course the secret ingredients are hidden under "spices and natrual flavors"

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5651/...9a18c8235a.jpg
(google for the hot sauce packet)

I tried the chicken&rice guys from boston (they have garlic white sauce), not as good as the one in nyc
http://cnrguys.com/

maortega15 Jan 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 27792765)
So, you do have the will, then? :confused:

Well, I would always pass by a cart and never really had a desire to try it. I see long lines and had me curious and me thinks I should try it at least. But the pungent smell is kind of off putting to be honest.

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 27793663)
Are you talking about wanting to try the sauce or the chicken over rice?

Actually both.

enviroian Jan 22, 2017 11:47 am

I've had them via the NYC street vendors and yes they are delicious!

I hope I can find some similar foods next month in Singapore.

sonomawine Jan 22, 2017 6:32 pm

The Halal cart in SF Financial District has some of the hottest hot sauce on earth. I am talking Sri Lankan spice levels......