Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What to order at a Chinese vegetarian kosher restaurant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to order at a Chinese vegetarian kosher restaurant?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA
Thanks for the reminder re kosher kitchens. Dairy doesn't seem much of an issue to me. I've hardly ever seen a dairy product at a Chinese restaurant. Oh wait, there's crab rangoon.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by cubbie
Thanks for the reminder re kosher kitchens. Dairy doesn't seem much of an issue to me. I've hardly ever seen a dairy product at a Chinese restaurant. Oh wait, there's crab rangoon.
Easily avoided. I've wondered about the batter used to bread various fried appetizers and entrees, though. My stomach doesn't usually hold up well after Chinese, leading me to wonder where they might have snuck in a little milk.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Easily avoided. I've wondered about the batter used to bread various fried appetizers and entrees, though. My stomach doesn't usually hold up well after Chinese, leading me to wonder where they might have snuck in a little milk.
More likely the large dose of grease.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Will one find any gluten-free kosher vegan chinese dishes?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I wouldn't really enjoy this type of restaurant I don't think. Although I am not a vegetarian, I do often eat vewgetarian meals, but I never put any fake meat in it. If I want to eat meat I'll eat real meat. And if I want vegetables I will often create a vegetarian dish, which sometimes even turns out vegan. No need to 'mock' meat to make it delicious.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
I wouldn't really enjoy this type of restaurant I don't think. Although I am not a vegetarian, I do often eat vewgetarian meals, but I never put any fake meat in it. If I want to eat meat I'll eat real meat. And if I want vegetables I will often create a vegetarian dish, which sometimes even turns out vegan. No need to 'mock' meat to make it delicious.
I'm not vegan either but have no objection to it. However, I've always felt tofu got a bad rap by using it as faux meat. It's quite nice as it is.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
No need for fake meat and easily avoided. When we eat Chinese it is often an essentially vegetarian meal. I could eat things like spicy eggplant with garlic sauce for days. I guess there could be some meat product in the sauce but the dish is essentially vegetarian, and could easily be completely so with no loss of flavor. Schhuan string beans are like heaven on a plate. Silky tofu is delish. Dumplings with just a veggie filling ar common.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by milepig
No need for fake meat and easily avoided. When we eat Chinese it is often an essentially vegetarian meal. I could eat things like spicy eggplant with garlic sauce for days. I guess there could be some meat product in the sauce but the dish is essentially vegetarian, and could easily be completely so with no loss of flavor. Schhuan string beans are like heaven on a plate. Silky tofu is delish. Dumplings with just a veggie filling ar common.
Thanks for the suggestions. Today is the day so I will let people know if I can how it goes :-)

Ironically, the string beans you mention seem like they're usually cooked with pork and chicken stock: very non kosher and certainly not vegetarian!
http://omnivorescookbook.com/szechuan-dry-fried-green-beans/
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
My favorite "Chinese" dish to order is orange chicken no matter what.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
At least from my read of Chowhounds, ChefTalk and other foodie websites, seems like there a few 'classic' cookbooks that come highly recommended (and with dishes that are delish). With my kitchen under renovation, they are collecting dust, but I thought these recommendations might be helpful:

Current
Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking (Fuchsia Dunlop)

Out of Print, but generally available used
The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking (Barbara Tropp)
The Key to Chinese Cooking (Irene Kuo)

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.