Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help me salvage some damaged chocolate (was OMNI Baking Clinic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me salvage some damaged chocolate (was OMNI Baking Clinic)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Oh, that part is already assured regardless
We eagerly await a report. Are you in a chocolate coma? I'm imagining you on the coach with chocolate on your lips, moaning quietly
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by corky
If you do this make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Also know that if any water gets in the chocolate you are screwed and will be forced to eat it all yourself.
I would still try a small test amount rather than dump the whole batch in even if you don't do the microwave method. Either way, watch it like a hawk. ...better to undermelt than overmelt. Be gentle with it.
Agree, mostly. You also need to be aware if any steam from the water reaches the chocolate - even a tiny amount - the chocolate can "tighten" and become inedible.

You should be ale to retemper the chocolate, even the stuff they use to coat nuts, if there isn't anything in/on the nuts that would alter the texture of chocolate. For example, when I use tempered chocolate to make fruit and nut clusters (diced almond, dried apricot) I will sometimes coat the centers with either cocoa powder or powdered sugar. Extra dry ingredients can affect how the chocolate melts. You might need to a fat to the chocolate to return it to a smooth texture. Shortening is often recommended, but not my favorite.

An overview to tempering: http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2014...ing-chocolate/
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by milepig
We eagerly await a report. Are you in a chocolate coma? I'm imagining you on the coach with chocolate on your lips, moaning quietly
Thanks to the many helpful suggestions, I took a hammer to the bag and broke the chunk into manageable pieces and put them in a ceramic bowl over barely-boiling water.

Took a long time but it eventually melted enough to stir up and I used a spoon to place generous scoops down on wax paper, put the plate in the refrigerator and a few hours later - voila - perfect chocolate.

The only downside, I recall 3 of the original pieces was pushing 200 calories, and now those many servings are reduced to about 15 scoops on two plates, I am having a bad feeling about the calorie count per scoop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.