Wiki Posts
Search

Food(s) you will not eat for the life of you

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Technically, "processed cheese food product".

Anything that requires 3 modifiers in its title is suspiciously distant from being real cheese. Or food.
Somehow it's tasty on a burger, however.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
And of course, a grilled cheese sandwich.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Originally Posted by cubbie
And of course, a grilled cheese sandwich.
Yuck.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Yuck.
A grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup are a real comfort food for me. Likewise cheeseburgers although it doesn't have to be processed cheese. There was a place when I was in grad school in Ann Arbor named Blimpy Burger that had great burgers with blue cheese and other cheese types that was fantastic. A real institution in Ann Arbor for many years.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
A grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup are a real comfort food for me. Likewise cheeseburgers although it doesn't have to be processed cheese. There was a place when I was in grad school in Ann Arbor named Blimpy Burger that had great burgers with blue cheese and other cheese types that was fantastic. A real institution in Ann Arbor for many years.
I'll take cheddar every time over American, except on a burger. Just seems to go. (Although my burger with mozzarella, avocado and chipotle mayo was awfully good yesterday.)
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Ah yes, duck tongues--ordered it in a Szechuan restaurant once. Won't make that mistake again. Not horrible: the preparation was tasty but the texture was annoying. I guess I'd nibble politely if I had to, but I'm just not into gristle. Chicken feet probably fall into the same category.
Saw some deboned chicken feet at an Asian market the other day, which I'd be willing to try. I liked the taste of the ones I had at a couple of restaurants, but too much effort for too little food given the bones.

Originally Posted by exerda
Cow or pig brains.
Had lamb brains at Funky Gourmet in Athens a few weeks back. Delicious.

Still not big on cow brains... BSE just creeps me out. (Scrapie in sheep hasn't, until very recently, been thought transmissible to humans. And we're talking lambs vs. adult sheep.)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:33 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Not again: hot pot, dinuguan, balut, an Artichoke (NYC pizzeria) slice, Origus, almost everything Hakka...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:11 pm

Mayonnaise...I hate that smell

and also durian...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 6, 2017 at 1:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
For me it's papaya. To me, the papaya smell is totally vile, and the disgusting taste has been known to make me gag. A long time ago, my mom used to eat it occasionally and force me to eat a little when I was like 6 years old. It's never gone near my mouth again.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by stevechin
For me it's papaya. To me, the papaya smell is totally vile, and the disgusting taste has been known to make me gag. A long time ago, my mom used to eat it occasionally and force me to eat a little when I was like 6 years old. It's never gone near my mouth again.
I find it pretty nasty when ripe, but when green, papaya salad, aka som tam is delicious.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It's probably because it smells like vomit.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I never used to get papaya - it just tasted bland and slightly off to me. Of course, the papayas I had had sat in atmosphere-controlled containers for ages.

Then I went to Sri Lanka. The difference was amazing. We were served them at breakfast pretty much everywhere we went (great after a black fish curry), with a little slice of fresh lime. They were like a rich, buttery, figgy melon - you really needed that lime to cut through them. Wonderful.

Wouldn't touch the imports, though.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Of course. Imported papaya is picked before they're fully ripe, so they're hard when they're picked. Otherwise, they wouldn't survive being transported. Here in the US, we grow plenty of papaya domestically, and even then, they're picked before they're ripe for storage and transport, so it's nearly impossible to get quality papaya here!

The same applies for berries and most other fruits. Oranges and bananas are the only fruits that seem to be immune to this process.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The containerisation process has improved with technology - temperature and pressure controlled containers, together with inert gases, allow certain fruits to have their ripening effectively put on hold during transport, so they can spend much longer on the plant. The downside is that their shelf life tends to be reduced on arrival (vs air freighted).

Papaya appears not to be one of these, from personal observation

Not that I'm bothered, there's some first-rate in-season melon about at the moment - why would I buy second-rate imported papaya?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.